Noticing that my crocheting with thread has become very tight lately, I decided to give a larger hook a try. Normally, when I crochet size 10 thread, I use a 1.5 mm hook. It's just what I've had available to me. This time, I used a 2.5 mm hook (because I had it in my arsenal).
Surprisingly, Doily #57 (from the book, 99 Little Doilies) was still three quarters of an inch smaller than the pattern indicated it should turn out. For what it's worth, the pattern called for a size 1.65 mm hook, and the pattern indicated the finished doily should be 7". Mine measures at 6 1/8". If I had crocheted this with my normal 1.5 mm hook, I have no idea how much smaller it would be.

As I was making the above doily, I wasn't liking how limp and "holey" the whole thing was feeling as I crocheted with a bit larger hook. But once again, blocking with starch makes everything better. The doily isn't stiff, but it has a bit more body than before blocking.
As pretty as the color in the photo is, it isn't true. The thread used was Curio, size 10, in the color Sagebrush. The real color is a pretty sage green.
And that's it on the crafty front.
One more 90+ degree day this upcoming week, and then I'm counting on a cool down. This time of year is so odd - I feel dreary of summer, but, at the same time I can't believe it's nearly over. Since most of my readers appear to be in the northern hemisphere, I hope you're enjoying these last days of summer!

x-fotor-20260705213515.jpg)
Such a pretty doily. Funny how colors do not always photograph correctly. We actually have a forecast of below 100° temps a few days this week. I am super stoked about that!
ReplyDelete