Sunday, September 27, 2015

Crocheted Linen Stitch Scarf

Yep, I've finished another scarf.  And the colors on this one make my heart happy.


I just love watching this Linen Stitch scarf grow - especially when using different colors of yarn.  One can combine various yarns in a seemingly infinite number of ways to get a unique scarf every single time.



This time I used Red Heart Boutique Unforgettable yarn in the colorways Meadow and Sunrise.  Together these two unlikely companions made a fun, cheery scarf - perfect for a crisp autumn day, or for brightening up a blustery winter day.


How to style it:

My preference for wearing a scarf is for warmth - simply wrapped around my neck, with the ends looped through the folded end of the scarf and tucked into my coat or jacket:

It's a non-fussy look for a non-fussy sort of gal.


But this one could be temporarily (or permanently) fastened at the ends to create a pretty cowl:

I like that look, too.

While I'm really tickled with this color combination, truth be told the colors probably aren't the best for me.  I crocheted this as a total experiment with no idea how it would be used.  Being as happy with it as I am this will likely be a gift for someone - either a friend, or an unknown someone - it doesn't matter.  I just hope it makes some else smile, too.  :^)

To see what other participants in Ravelry's Year Of Projects group are up to this week, visit this week's thread.

18 comments:

  1. Love it, the colours remind me of the beach somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very pretty. - so many colours combining so nicely! Seems to have very nice drape as well! Should make the lucky recipient VERY happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful scarf. And lots of lovely stuff on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link. I love the colours in your scarf. I'm not a fan of autumn, but your colours are cheerful as well as seasonal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your scarf, the colours are gorgeous together and work so well, I too am a fan of the non fussy way :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have gotten me hooked on making these as well - so many possibilities! I do have a question though: as you are changing the yarn on each row, are you cutting it off (and therefore weaving all those ends in later if you don't want a fringe); or is there a way to carry over the colours so you are not cutting? Hope that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much I change the yarn every row. And yes..that means all those ends are weaved in. When I've made these scarves using Woolike double-stranded fingering weight yarn I leave the fringe, but this yarn is just not spun consistently enough for leaving the ends as fringe. I will say, though...using any of these Red Heart Boutique Unforgettable yarns by itself will give you a striped effect - all by itself - and you would eliminate all those "ends". The color changes are long and while each color won't run the entire length of the scarf, the end result would be a striped scarf. I'm just having fun experimenting with combining colors that appear to be disparate from each other. These scarves are as much about being an experiment in color as they are about making something attractive (hopefully) and functional.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I'm stitching one up with two colours of Unforgettable, and one with just one colour. I love both, but I think I like the two coloured version just a bit better. I am dreading weaving in all those ends though: good thing the scarf isn't too wide!

      Delete
    3. About half-way through (once I'm satisfied that I'm going to like the results) I go ahead and weave in the ends that have been created thus far. And then every inch or so I weave in some more. I find that doing this throughout a project makes the task easier to swallow and isn't an overwhelming job at the end. Something else I thought I'd mention. Because this yarn is so inconsistently spun, don't be discouraged if you find the short edges of the scarf a little "uneven" or maybe saying it's bumpy is a better way to put it. I try to smooth things up as I weave in the ends, but I've also come to think of the unevenness (or bumpiness) I can't make perfectly smooth as part of the charm of these scarves. Also, I did lightly steam this last one I made (it seemed stiffer than my previous ones), and that was an opportunity to gently stretch out some of the spots that were a bit receded on the edges. This wasn't an actual blocking...just a light steaming on my ironing board, and then I laid it out on my bed to completely dry (about 1/2 hour, if that).

      Delete
    4. If your finished scarf is drapey you may not want to steam it - that might make it limp. The first scarf I made had lots of drape - it was perfect right off the hook. And Jenn...if your starting edge is too loose, you can go back up the backside of that edge with the linen stitch and tighten it up. Maybe your experience will be different, but I found that this happened to me with all the scarves I've made with this stitch. I've also sometimes used a smaller hook with that first row - though that information isn't helpful to you now that you've begun. BTW, I'd love to see your scarves. Can you provide a blog or Ravelry link? I'm yarnma on Ravelry.

      Delete
  7. Oooh, just gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete