Sunday, October 4, 2015

I Love Fall. I Love Crocheting Afghans...

It's been a busy week. 

I was too distracted to try to start making anything complicated or try a new pattern, so about Wednesday, or so, I started making another linen stitch scarf  This scarf is pretty sedate compared to the most recently finished one, but I like it.  The two yarns I'm using are similar in tonal value, but one has some color running through it, while the other is just various gray shades.  When I picked the yarns I was hoping this would create a masculine-looking scarf.  As it's coming along the purplish pink color is the only thing that makes me hesitate about gifting this to a man.  Anyone else have any thoughts?


After more dry days in the 80's it turned gloriously chilly on Friday.  And Saturday was rainy.  All day long.   It was a wonderful day of reading and crocheting (and I confess, napping ;^).   Because it was finally cool enough I was inspired to pull out my Arrowhead Striped Afghan I started last spring (but tucked away once it got too warm to crochet something so large).  I have been looking forward to it being cool enough to crochet blankets again.


Here's a link to the pattern.  And today I found this video, too.  I'm only about a third of the way finished so it doesn't look like much, but see the arrow shapes formed with this stitch pattern?  It's one of those terrific patterns that is much more complicated looking than it really is.  And it creates a great cushy, thick blanket even though it's made with single-stranded worsted weight.  This stitch pattern makes it look like it's made with much thicker yarn.


Oh, how I'm enjoying the feel of fall.  Everything about this time of year enlivens my senses.  Makes me thankful that the dreary heat of summer is (mostly) behind us.  Warns me that bitter cold is just around the corner - clutching the coattails of autumn.  And crocheting seems to take on a new purpose.  A new pleasure.  The cold seasons make me especially happy I have this ability to create with yarn and hook.  :^)

To see what other Year of Project friends are working on this week, visit our thread on Ravelry.  In fact, if you're so inclined feel free to join in!   While our year runs from July 1st through June 30th, anyone is welcome to join in at any time.  I think.  It's a small, but supportive and creative bunch of knitters and crocheters.  I'm so glad to be participating (for the first time) this year.

20 comments:

  1. I find the colours in the new scarf to be quite neutral and I wouldn't have said they lean to much to either side so I think it would still make a great masculine gift. I love the arrowhead blanket, that stitch is so interesting looking and isn't it great this time of year when you can haul them out and work on them. This too is my favourite time of year even though we don't have very hot summers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for weighing in, Ruth. I was just feeling a little insecure for some reason.

      Delete
  2. I believe the colours in the scarf are just fine for a man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how my husband looks in purple and my step brother loves his pink shirts so I say go ahead and gift that scarf to a man. Just my 2 cents of course. Your afghan certainly looks warm, squishy and soft. Knitting afghans is very time consuming for this slow knitter so I have made only one. Maybe some day I'll pick up a hook and see what I can do ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Ann. I forget...one my husband's favorite shirts is purple, and one of sons has a couple purple shirts that he loves. And yes...I love how quickly (comparatively speaking) a crocheted afghan can come together.

      Delete
  4. I'm going to agree with the other commenters - I like the purpley colour and it seems pretty gender neutral to me. It's a lovely scarf for anyone!

    It is definitely knitting weather! I like it cooler too, but maybe that's because neither my car nor my home have AC?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I am of a certain age where a woman's internal thermostat is often stuck on "hot", I am immensely thankful for AC. I don't know how women stood the heat a hundred+ years ago in their long sleeves, long(er) skirts, and the layers of everything else they wore.

      Delete
  5. I too agree, the pattern is gorgeous and the purple just adds an accent - I think it would be perfect for a man. The afghan is fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at your works in progress! Just lovely!
    I am thrilled the cooler weather is upon us... Just don't like what comes NEXT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :^) Me too - about "what comes next", I mean.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful colors on both your projects! I love the gray and white (?) of your afghan. I, too, always wait until beginning of cooler fall days with my blanket projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot get an accurate color representation of that afghan, though I've tried all sorts of lighting situations. It's actually more beige than gray. I don't know why I can get a perfectly gold crochet hook, but I cannot pick up the yellow tones of that yarn. ;^)

      Delete
    2. Our cameras are little strange pieces of equipment and they have the quirks of their own. Mine isn't able to process the blues and reds :))

      Delete
  8. One more vote to say the scarf colour is suitable for a man. I actually think some men might really appreciate it to add a bit of colour to their look. And the afghan looks just so cosy! It must use up quite a bit of yarn though, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leyla! I think the men have it! It will be a man's scarf. :^)

      Delete
    2. Oh, I forgot to say...I imagine it does use up a bit more yarn than some other crocheted afghans. It will be interesting when I finish to tally how many skeins I've used. (I hope I'm keeping track...)

      Delete
  9. Another beautiful scarf! Some men like/look good in pink and purple and some don't like it at all, so I'd say it depends on the recipient! I think it'd be great for a woman too though :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous scarf!

    Really intrigued by the afgan. Not like I need any more blanket projects right now, but I like the squishy and thick texture of it!

    ReplyDelete