Sunday, October 25, 2015

Curlicue Hat

Another busy week with only a hat to show for my crocheting efforts.  But what a cute hat it is! 

My first Delaney Hat:


I say "first" 'cuz  it's definitely not my last.  I'm just showing you the top because that's what's so cute about this hat.  The pattern is super simple, but there's a trick to getting tight curly curlicues.  You need to crochet under just one strand of yarn.  It's easy once you figure that out, but I started this thing several times with unsatisfactory curlicues before I finally went looking for a YouTube video demonstrating how to make them.  It was a lightbulb moment, and the hat was simple and fast after that.  Another thing is, if you want a cuff on the bottom, I'm pretty sure this needs to be made a little longer than following the pattern will give you.   This first one I made looks fine as is, but I think the next ones I make will be a tad longer so a cuff is an option.  I hope to make some more of these for little girl gifts.  This one is made with Vanna's Choice in Rose Mist.  I have some Red Heart Gumdrop yarn waiting in the wings for my next ones. 

To see what other Year of Projects participants are up to, check out this week's thread on Ravelry.





11 comments:

  1. Oh my that hat is just gorgeous! I may just have to give that a go for my girls for this Christmas, it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth. I hope you enjoy making it, too!

      Delete
  2. Oh the curlicues are fabulous! They totally make the hat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute! Reminds me of a firecracker going off. Don't you love all those wonderful people who put up YouTube how to videos. They've saved me a time or two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! A firecracker hat. That's a cute name for it! And yes, I do love YouTube and the folks who post how-to videos. It's the first place I look when I don't know how to do something. :^)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Alina. It's nice and stretchy, too. Something crochet isn't necessarily known for.

      Delete
  5. What an adorable hat. I love the little curlicues :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ravenna. The curlicues make the hat. :^)

      Delete
  6. Very cute hat -- and so unusual. I really have to learn to crochet!

    ReplyDelete