Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Pumpkin Season...

I've been fixated on pumpkins lately.  I've yet to buy a real one this fall, but I'm happily crocheting yarny ones.  And this week I'm enjoying reading a cozy mystery, Basket Case by Nancy Haddock.  Autumn seems like the perfect time to read cozies, for some reason.


The yarn I'm using above is Vanna's Choice in Tangerine Mist.  I found a lone skein of this color on clearance recently and it was so inexpensive I couldn't not buy it.  Didn't know what I was going to use it for, but as pumpkin season rolled around I realized it would be perfect for this project.

Using my favorite, fail-proof small pumpkin pattern, I love making various sizes and colors of these pumpkins.  For giving and decorating.  You can increase the pumpkin size by either (or both) changing up the hook, and/or adding or decreasing the number of increase and decrease rows.  


They can be made taller by adding more (I'll call them static) rows in the middle (these rows are just straight single crochet all the way around with no increase or decrease stitches - they give the pumpkin its height).

While I enjoy seeing how different people finish their crocheted pumpkins off, my favorite way is to make a button stem.   I have  a lot of old buttons that are perfect for this.  After wiring a stem of buttons together I just stick the wire ends through the center of the pumpkin and twist the ends together, tucking any sharp edges up into the fabric to finish it off.   See my button stem tutorial here.

A simple crochet project that's fun and satisfying.  Visit Ginny's Yarn Along to see what other knitters and crocheters are making and reading this week.



http://www.gsheller.com/2015/10/yarn-along-249.html


20 comments:

  1. oh my gosh! those pumpkins are so adorable! I have a pattern to knit some but haven't got to it yet. I've never seen button stems before.....so creative

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't really take credit for the idea of the button stem. I saw someone else do it and I fell in love with them.

      Delete
  2. Your pumpkins are so cute! And what clever handles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are darling! I have to say that I love buttons and anything that incorporates them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Beki, new follower here! Thank you so much for popping over to mine and leaving your sweet comment. I'm so loving those pumpkins and thanks for the pattern link. I too bought a very large ball of similar coloured yarn recently and now I know what I'm going to do with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fun! I love when we crocheters inspire one another.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic pumpkins and I really like the button stack for the stalk! I haven't bought a pumpkins yet but will soon because Halloween is almost here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just bought my first real pumpkins last night. Aldi had them for 2.99. I hope they last until Thanksgiving. ;^)

      Delete
  6. Oh my! I really really love your pumpkins. I want some. I don't know how to crochet and I've never thought to look for a knitting pattern but I don't think there would be any that compare to yours! If you ever want to give them away, you just keep me in mind! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...thanks, Sarah. Seeing the beautiful things you create, this means a lot.

      Delete
  7. This is so adorable and such a great idea for all the leftover yarn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a perfect project for using up some scrap yarn.

      Delete