Sunday, August 20, 2017

A simple and sweet baby blanket...

I started the week attempting to knit a child's scarf with a Caron Cake yarn I purchased at the height of the Caron Cake frenzy, but I grew unhappy with it on several counts - 1) the yarn seemed too thin for the type of scarf I was making, and 2) I don't care for how long the color repeats are - again for the type of scarf I'm making.


Unfortunately, I cut the yarn before deciding this was an unsatisfactory project.  Fortunately, I didn't invest more time in this before deciding to call it quits.  One can always be thankful when calling it quits before something has become a too-huge of a time-sink.

So early yesterday I declared the scarf frog-worthy and I set my mind to finishing the Corner to Corner baby blanket I had begun a week or so ago.

It's a simple blanket, but I'm satisfied with how it turned out:

The yarn used was DK weight Loops & Threads Snuggly Wuggly Big! yarn.  Prior to washing, it's not the snuggly-wuggliest yarn I've ever used, but the skein was certainly big!  It weighed in at 396 grams (14 ounces), and measured 1154 meters (1263 yards) in length.   I have 52.5 grams (1.85 oz) - just over 150 meters (or 165 yards) left over - if I've done the math right.  And now I'm wondering if that's enough for a baby cap.   I'm thinking probably so - for a newborn hat?




And that's all she wrote (and hooked) this week.  To see what other Yoppers are up to, visit our thread on Ravelry.





11 comments:

  1. Hi Becki :) I like the colours of the scarf...I think maybe for a really long adult scarf, I'd like the colour repeats that long. But the baby blanket is really cute and pretty! Very nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always so tempted by those yarn cakes whenever I am at the store,but thankfully have never really seen a project I love enough to buy a skein (or two...) I hope you find something to use up your skein.
    What a pretty baby blanket: I have some blue baby yarn I need to use up. I tried to make a blanket but crocheting with just one colour was so boring I never finished. Discipline to complete a task is not my strong suit!
    Weighing a finished piece is just the best: my kitchen scale broke and I was going crazy not being able to see how much yarn I was using. Amazon to the rescue and I am back at it. Very soon I will have a completed blanket to weigh. Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I did get your blog comment. I just a) don't check my gmail that often, and (b) am very slow to publish comments as I don't get back to my blog for weeks at a time. I try to respond to comments via email but you keep coming up as a 'no reply' blogger at the email address your comments come to (which is not my gmail account, just to confuse you further) So the short version is that I do get your comments and they always make my day, so thank you😊

      Delete
  3. The baby blanket is so pretty. Love the white edging. The yarn cakes work well with the half granny square shawl. The colors change at the perfect time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marsha. I can't wait to show my Caron Cakes projects next week! ;^)

      Delete
  4. That's a very pretty C2C ... always like the texture of this stitch. You chose a pretty border for your blanket. I hopped onto the 'cake' bandwagon fairly recently and am still not sure if I like them or not. Have made a Road Runner scarf (on my post this week) and the colours worked ok on that. Some patterns seem to work better than others don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dorothy. I think the appeal of the cakes is the pretty and fun colors. In actuality, though, I find them a tad frustrating to use. I'm currently using one that has knots between the colors - which totally negates the whole point of these cakes (that one can knit or crochet without adding a new color if one chooses). In the end, though, I find I'm rarely happy with where the color ends and I usually begin a color with a new row. Doing this also makes them pointless. I'll use what I have and probably will happily ignore them in the future. They are a fun idea, but are limited in their true value, IMO.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes the simplest patterns and colors are best and just to prove it...your C2C baby blanket in that simple blue and white combo is so precious and it turned out beautiful! I've not tried the yarn cakes...yet. I too am looking for a pattern that would suit one. I did like a scarf that MrsMcD did in the Cherry chocolate color? It was awhile ago on one of her last year's YOP posts....I still remember it and think I may have to make it.....some day! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MrsMcD made a pretty knitted scarf using a Caron Cake. I do think knitting works best with this cakes and their abrupt color changes. Fortunately, though, I found a crochet pattern for my Caron Cakes this week! Can't wait to finish up my projects, block them and photograph them!

      Delete
  6. I agree with you about the caron cakes having tooooo long colour changes. I love your baby blanket. It looks so snuggly and will be loved by any baby for sure.

    ReplyDelete