Sunday, December 2, 2018

A little yarny experiment...

Being in a mindset of using up stash - as fast as I can - for the next few weeks (in order to possibly make or at least approach my goal of using up 100 skeins of yarn this year) I picked out yarn I haven't felt impressed with since the day I bought too much of it, and I decided to experiment with it.

I decided to knit and crochet, using different stitches and just see how it pooled.

The results were mildly interesting.  Not interesting enough for me expound (much) on them (and I'm sure there is math involved in the why's and how's of pooling - that I have no brain cells for today), but the different patterns (or non-patterns) that emerged were kind of...  

did I say interesting?

Maybe mildly entertaining is more correct.

So for your entertainment here is the picture show...

Knit with a stockinette stitch (with a garter stitch border):

Then I think I increased the whole thing by 3 or  4 or 5 stitches and this is what resulted:

Taking a break from knitting, I crocheted this dense stitch pattern:

Then I remembered I wanted to do a round cloth.  Variegated yarns sometimes create a more interesting "pattern" when crocheted in the round than when crocheted in lines, back and forth.  So I made one of my favorite round dishcloths:
Eh...  Not as interesting as I had hoped.   Ah well..

Then I decided to make a slightly more open cloth (I'll write this pattern down one of these days and share it here):  
While one might be hard pressed to actually call the one above pretty, I like the slightly random, sort of diagonal thing that's going on here.

So I made another one, and this is what I got:

I used the exact same number of starting stitches (as the one above the one above), but the yarn may have been a different dye lot; and I probably started in a different place in the color layout, but I was surprised to get something resembling the start of an argyle pattern on the second time with the same pattern.   Argyles are interesting and entertaining when they show up in crocheting variegated yarn, but I prefer the slight randomness of the one above the one above.

Then ready to knit again, I knit one up in garter stitch:
The only thing I find interesting about this is that knitting a variegated yarn in garter stitch mutes the colors.  I can totally see how that happens with the way the stitches lay on top of each other, but this was not something I had ever considered.  Totally worth knitting this up to to learn that first hand.

And finally, starting to tire of the experiment (and the yarn), and wanting to be done already, I decided to make an easy cloth in crocheted linen stitch:
I see I'm going to get something reminiscent of argyle again.  No surprise there with this stitch pattern, but to get the argyle to show up in the middle of the cloth???  That was a happy happenstance.  In other words, I could not have made that happen if I'd tried.

Sooo...  there you have it.  While it's fun to pretend this was a useful experiment, mostly it was just an exercise in using up some yarn and now I have some Christmas-y dishcloths to use this December.  

Another more satisfying finish was this autumn-colored scarf:

Made with Lion Brand Unique yarn in the colorway, Harvest

I originally thought I hadn't used a pattern (and technically, I didn't), but I got to thinking it was awfully familiar.  And then it dawned on me...  It's actually the same pattern as the Ribbed Pom Pom scarves I made a month or so ago.  Super easy pattern.  Works well with bulky or worsted yarns.  And looks equally good pommed or not.

And that's it from me!   To see what other YOPers are up to, visit our group on Ravelry.



2018 Yarn Stash-Down:  68.46/100 Skeins


16 comments:

  1. Wow!!! It is amazing how different techniques and stitches caused the yarn to pool differently. How fun to see it too. Your scarf is pretty. The colors are nice and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading your post and thinking that ones my favourite, then the next one, then next one and so on. The only one I didn’t like as much was the garter stitch one. The range of patterns you’ve ended up with is so surprisingly varied and having an Argyle pattern appear is amazing. Very interesting experiment and definitely worthwhile so thanks for sharing. Love the autumn scarf too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not uncommon for variegated yarns to produce an argyle pattern when crocheting, but I was surprised that it happened in the second cloth of when the first cloth made from the same pattern didn't. I'm glad you liked seeing the different results I got using different techniques.

      Delete
  3. You are such a productive knitter/hooker. All of those results with that first yarn are fun. I like the colors of your autumn scarf too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is fun, the various wash cloths! :) Have a peaceful night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the scarf; such pretty colours! The stitch experiment was neat: how many skeins did you use? I can only get one dishcloth out of an 85 gram ball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used nearly 4 skeins of Hobby Lobby I Love This Cotton (85 grams, 153 yards). It depends on the pattern and how dense the cloth is, but I typically can get two cloths out of an 85 gram ball of yarn. I try to make my cloths around 8 inches square. Now Lily's Sugar n' Cream that is 75 grams... I can only get one cloth from that, with some yarn left over.

      Delete
  6. Oh my, these are beautiful patterns that you created with this special yarn. Perfect for Christmas 🎄 Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you are a research scientist in disguise! That was an amazing amount of work and study and I really found it very interesting. I know there was some pattern that actually showed you how to make the argyle look on purpose and of course they now do plalds and checks and one gal did polka dots but all planned specifically for those patterns. I would be surprised if Red Heart or Lion Brand call you up and offer you a job. Thank you for the pattern on that scarf...love it and of course I love all the items you knitted and crocheted up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol You make me chuckle. It really wasn't that much work. I was on a mission to use up some yarn, and that yarn in particular. I just kept going 'till I didn't have enough of it to make any more cloths from. I've tried the planned pooling, but I found it too straining for my brain, and my results weren't very satisfying. So, while I'm flattered at your confidence, Sam, ;^) I'm afraid no one will be calling me anytime soon to offer me a job having anything to do with being creative with yarn. Fortunately, to get to play with yarn is enough. :)

      Delete
  8. Interesting to see your experiments with the multi-colored yarn. Amazing how the different patterns resulted. The scarf turned out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete