Sunday, December 9, 2018

YOP Week 24, Burn Through Stash Like Crazy Week 1

This week I'm hosting a CAL in the Our Happy CAL Place on Ravelry, and I was tickled to find this easy pattern for making a Candy House Coaster:


A super quick project that uses a very small amount of yarn per coaster.  And I just want to note:  What might look like red and white marled yarn above is actually just some size 3 white crochet thread held alongside worsted weight red as I crocheted rounds 3 & 4. 

And I had a larger finish, too.  On a quest to use as much yarn from my stash as I can, it occurred to me that in doubling yarn up I could create a bulky yarn and use twice the yardage of yarn than if I crocheted with a single strand of yarn.  I didn't come up with this idea.  I just remembered it from some other genius who was also trying to use up stash.  

With my "bulky" yarn, I decided to make another of these knitted Ribbed Scarves:

The yarn is Knit Picks Brava Worsted. in the colors Black and Wine. I don't know if it's the yarn, or the thickness of this stitch done on large needles, but this scarf is so squishy soft.    I love this stitch pattern.  


Done on large needles and with bulky yarn, I can make one of these scarves in just 2 or 3 days.   It's a great mindless knit  - though I do find it necessary to check my stitches from time to time.  Checking every row is ideal, but I typically found  myself messing up and not discovering it for a row or two.  I attribute it to falling asleep while knitting - the pattern is that simple.

I like it so much, I immediately started another using some dark purple yarn (a color I wasn't very fond of) and scraps of Boutique Unforgettable yarn (in various colors).  Here's a peek:

I'd like to make another of these, but instead of using scraps of the Boutique Unforgettable, I'd like to use full skeins.  There's just way too much end-weaving going on as I use up scraps.  It's not that I mind end-weaving so much, but at the moment I'm all about using up yarn.  Spending time weaving in ends, is slowing me down from that goal!

To see what other YOPers are up to, visit our group on Ravelry.



2018 Yarn Stash-Down:  73.76/100 Skeins

15 comments:

  1. The coaster is super cute. The scarves is a great way to use up some yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scarf is gorgeous and looks lovely and cosy with nice drape. Very cute coaster. In the new year I need to learn proper crochet stitches, so always looking for small project ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz. The scarf stretches and makes a really wonderful cozy thing to wear.

      Delete
  3. That red scarf is gorgeous and it looks toasty warm too. Thought I was the only one that dozed off with knitting needles in hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol It's kind of embarrassing when I wake up and there's my knitting.

      Delete
    2. Even worse when you wake up to discover some very 'creative' stitches that end up having to be frogged!

      Delete
  4. Well, great minds certainly think alike! I am doing the same thing with yarn this week using 2 strands of worsted to get bulky! I want to make that scarf too but probably after Christmas. I am trying to use up stash too this year. Have you heard about Magic Balls? There are videos on You Tube on how to make them for scrappy projects and no weaving of ends. You just join the yarn somehow and then it's all connected and you wind it into a ball and away you go! That is the only way I will ever make anything scrappy I think. I haven't tried it yet....again....after Christmas. You are a fast crocheter although I am loving the cowl pattern I am working on that I mentioned from Fiber Flux....it reminds me of a "Becki type" project as I always love yours! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Duh, I love the little house coaster too! What a cute gift idea! Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments, Sam. When I was reading your YOP post, I was tickled that you were doing the same thing (combining two strands of yarn). A project like this would be perfect for trying out a Magic Ball. I'm glad you mentioned that idea.
      When I'm not bent on burning through yarn, I'll go through my stash and put together some colors. That would be fun.

      Delete
  6. Oh I love those scarves! I might just pick up my needles again☺. The little house is super cute too. Will you do a stash challenge again next year? I will still be recording my yarn weight gain and loss: the first year I did really well. Let's just say 2018 was an accumulation year and I hope to lose more than I gain in 2019!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, I imagine I'm like you in that knitting just doesn't float my boat like crochet does. It does not come as naturally to me. But a stitch pattern like this makes me love to knit. It's so easy. And creating these squishy scarves is so gratifying. Yes, I plan to challenge myself again to use 100 skeins of yarn next year. I know it's possible - unless I just lose interest (which happens), but I seriously want/need to clear out some of this stash. OTOH, I truly do love shopping my stash (like I could just go to my stash and pull out some white cotton thread to work into the project above), and I like seeing a pattern and being able to make it because I have yarn to choose from - that I bought at good prices (as opposed to suddenly wanting to make something and either pay a premium for the yarn or wait for a sale - I know I would loose interest in the project if I had to do that). So it's wonderful to have a stash, but not so wonderful to be smothered by it. I'm curious to know what a "just right" stash might feel like. I've clearly never felt like I had that or I wouldn't be in the predicament I'm in now.

      Delete
  7. The Candy House Coaster is just too too cute Becki and what a practical and fun little project for this time of year. The stitch definition from holding the worsted yarn double is just great and it looks so lovely you want to just reach out and squish it. That's a definite win win project for using stash and having a gorgeous project at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The coaster is gorgeous and a great stash buster. I have made some hot water bottle covers using two strands held together, the fabric is super squishy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That coaster came out cute. How fun to have those to use this winter. I really like how your scarf came out. Bravo on using up stash yarn and having great results.

    ReplyDelete