Sunday, June 2, 2019

A finish. And some frustrations...

I've got a finish!   I drug my heels a ridiculously long time on this small Bertie Blanket, but I'm happy to say it's done and I'm sure I'll make more (I already have colors picked out for another one).   



I intended to make a more interesting border, but with the variegated yarn nothing I tried looked quite right, so it got a simple single crochet border.  And I decided that's good enough.  


~~~~~


Now.  As you look at the next picture - of my partridge in a pear tree cross stitch - you may ask yourself "why does this look different than it did before?"   




It's a sad and too-long-to-tell-here story, but it involved not being one bit happy with the back-stitched feather detail and the only way to redo it was to rip out all the main color on the wings.  At which point I decided to try another color, which I like just fine, but now I'm afraid to try any more back-stitching on it.  On paper, in the small picture the feather detail looks okay.  In real life it really doesn't.  And without any feather detail, the points and curves in the red sections don't make much sense.   

So I'm not sure what to do with this.  Does it look okay to just leave it like it is?  I've considered lightly drawing some shading on the thread, but I could seriously mess that up and then I'm right back to my only option being to rip it out again.  And I just can't imagine doing that again.  


I'm okay with the thing as a whole, but the wings have me flummoxed and discouraged.   I've put it aside to think about before stitching it into a small pillow, or just tossing it in the circular file and calling it a "learning experience".   


Ideas are welcome.


~~~~~

You'd think that would be enough disappointment, wouldn't you?  Well, after putting my partridge aside, I  decided to get out the Evenweave fabric I bought recently at Jo-Ann Fabrics and start another project.  But after I stitched half a small project I realized that the weave of the fabric is not even.  Unfortunately, it took some stitching before I could see the distortion.  Ugh.  I'd show a picture, but I ripped it out before that occurred to me.   An online search netted me some reviews that told me I'm not the only one who's had this experience with this no-company-name-on-the-label product sold at Jo-Ann's.  Be forewarned.  Don't buy it!


I'm returning two unopened packages this week, but this was a disappointment.   Between my partridge's wings and the Evenweave that isn't even,  I lost my steam to do any other cross stitching the rest of the week.    


~~~~~

All that aside, though, it was a busy and interesting week - most of which I can't really write about here.  But a fun part of last week was visiting with my husband's Uncle Art and his wife, Beth, who traveled east from California for various family events.  It was a sweet time spent with them on Thursday evening.

Also this past week, I donated a couple of kitchen-sized garbage bags full of yarn to a fund-raiser rummage sale, but don't go patting me on the back.  Midweek I bought more yarn when an online retailer was offering free shipping and they had in stock some yarn in a color I've been trying to get ahold of.  I don't feel badly at all about that purchase, but as soon as it arrives and I log it into my Ravelry inventory, my stash-busting numbers (recorded below) are going to take a serious reversal.  

So, while at the end of June it will probably only appear that I'm inching toward my goal, today I take pleasure in seeing a number that makes it look like I've made some significant progress toward reducing my stash by 100 (or more) skeins of yarn this year.  




2019 Yarn Stash-Down progress:  58.04/100 skeins!




One last thing.  Last week I forgot to mention any dishcloths knitted up during May.  Probably because I didn't do much.  I made a whopping three cloths:  







17 comments:

  1. I’m such a kid I always look at the pictures first and then read the words, my immediate reaction to seeing the partridge was how great it looked and I wondered why it seemed ‘fresher’. Now I realise from reading it’s the change of wing colour and this has worked well. I think the red lines on the body are fine and do make sense. I’m no expert on XS but to me it doesn’t need anything else...well apart from 12 drummers drumming, 11 lords a leaping etc etc 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wing color is closer to the original design (though it's more gray than blue as it was in the original design). One of the reasons I changed it (after I needing to rip it) was that I thought the tan color I used might actually take away from the three golden pears hanging from the tree. I love the idea of making Twelve Days of Christmas designs!

      Delete
  2. I say leave the partridge as is this time. It is quite attractive and I see plenty of definition in the wings. The bertie blanket is super cute. Sounds like you had a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the partridge looks perfect and doesn't need anything else. It will look gorgeous as,a cushion cover. Glad you got some lovely family time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thought was to make a small pillow that would go in a basket of other small pillows. It's kind of a "thing" I've noticed as I've perused ways to finish off cross stitch. It's quite possible that in a collection of other small pillows, this one would just blend into the background.

      Delete
  4. I like the partridge just the way it is (and now he has an eye!) It is so disappointing when things you buy don't turn out to be of good quality - how aggravating. But, on the plus side - you go girl with your destashing - those 100 skeins will be gone in no time! And the fundraiser people will LOVE you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary-Anne. I thought of you when I added the eye (and the beak - I almost missed the beak!)

      Delete
  5. Small question about the backstitching part - do the directions suggest using less strands of floss for it? Quite often they do and then the backstitching enhances the design and doesn't tend to overpower it. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the instructions said to only use one strand - which is what I did. They didn't overpower the design, they were just not good looking. Sometimes, they just disappeared into the first layer of threads. Studying the small picture provided in the magazine I can now see that they aren't to my liking there, either. But it wasn't until working them myself that I saw that I just couldn't abide them. The feathers are definitely the weak part of this design. Which is pitiful because they are so front and center. Maybe if I can find a color that blends in it would work better. But I'm still nervous about doing it again.

      Delete
  6. I love the Bertie Blanket, the colour work is so effective. Is it easier to crochet than it looks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Catherine. It is super simple. After the second repeat of the pattern it became completely unnecessary for me to refer back to the pattern. I've never before liked working a pattern where the stitches change multiple times in the same row. But this wasn't a problem at all for me in this blanket.

      Delete
  7. I never noticed anything wrong with the partridge before....I guess I look st the whole picture and especially the colors....love them! I'd say leave it as is and call it done. I'm so sorry you had problems with the "uneven" weave...that would be awful! Love your baby blanket and actually I like yours better than the one Little Doolally made. I like the white in the middle and the variegated as the outline. Very sweet! I also like the dish cloths as they are so summery! They remind of watermelon. Great week you had....go have another one on me! LOL! P.S. I have no idea what week it is...lol! I'm going to just start posting that it is YOP 2018-19 or like Marsha.....Year 8. I'm sorry if I'm confusing people...I'm glad someone is watching me! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There wasn't anything wrong with the partridge before. It was the backstitched feather details that was not attractive, and the only way to remove those stitches was to remove all of the color that they were embedded into. The backstitching is the problem. It's all wrong - at least in my opinion. You're not confusing people, Sam. YOP Year 8 ended up having 53 weeks. That is what has confused people. The new YOP year will be begin with its first Sunday being July 7th.

      Delete
  8. I think the partridge looks great as is. I would make it into a small ornament or pillow and call it a day. I love your blanket too!
    Happy days,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Becki :) Your Bertie Blanket is great!!! Well done! And I don't see anything wrong with your partridge...I think it looks great! I love the colour of the dish cloths!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The partridge looks great just as it is Becki and if you like it as is then I'd leave the backstitching out. You can see what it is and the wing has definition. I also like the colour change.
    Well done on completing the Bertie blanket, I love the simple single crochet border you used and think it suits it perfectly, specially in the variegated yarn.

    ReplyDelete