Sunday, June 23, 2019

It's all squares this week...

June has been a slow yarn month for me and I don't know that this coming week will be much different.  

It's been a good month - doing good things (for myself and others).  Some new things have presented themselves.   Some things I've written about, some I've not.  While I know part of the reason I've lagged in interest in working with yarn is due to busyness, I also know I've lost some steam for some reason.   But then I've also been reading more and that kind of interferes with holding a hook and yarn.  😉  Hopefully this lag I'm in will change, or I'll figure it out and recalibrate.  At the moment, I'm feeling a bit rudderless.  It's weird.

All that said, though, earlier this week I managed to get all those crazy ends woven in on my BAMCAL square.  It's not going to require a hard blocking, so softly steaming this Flying Colors square is going to suffice for now (maybe forever):

Not my favorite square (because of my color choices and placements),
 but it will make a decent contribution to a larger blanket someday.

~~~~~

Even though I haven't crocheted much this month, my knitting needles have continually had a dishcloth on them.  While it seems pretty uninspiring to report, over the course of the last three weeks I turned this (and some other odds and ends):



Into this:


~~~~~

Now, if you're like me, when making dishcloths, you end up with lots of little odds and ends of cotton yarn left over.  Sometimes those odds and ends are too small to do much with, but I got to looking at some bags of these leftover bits of cotton yarn and I wondered how it would work to splice some of the yarns together into "magic balls" and make more cloths from them.

Playing it safe, I pulled together two different, but coordinating variegated yarns and did a braided join. 

Here's a picture that shows what that braided join looks like:


Basically, you take two ends of two different yarns, loop them around each other, split each into two sections (doesn't matter how many plies are in a section).  Then braid each side (the three sections of the braid will be the two split sections from one strand of yarn, and one whole strand of yarn).   Do this braiding on both sides of where you looped the yarns together and then wind it into one ball.  Then just keep adding different yarns and colors to a ball until it's the size you want.  Those stringy ends can get snipped off once you've knit or crocheted your item together (I made a little knot of those stringy ends before snipping, but I doubt it's necessary).  

If you want the braided section to more completely blend in, do this braiding at a section in each yarn where the color is as similar as possible.

Anyway...  I knitted up my magic ball and this is what I got:

Kind of cool, I think.  Definitely fun to watch it grow as I knit.  It would probably be even more fun if I combined more disparate colors into one "magic ball".   ðŸ˜€

Oh my goodness...  after posting I decided to look to see how others might do a braided join.  I found this video!  I like her method even better than what I came up with.  

While some may think the braiding isn't worth the effort, to me it was a small thing I could do while my mind was on something else, or my ears were tuned into something completely unrelated to what I was doing with my hands.  And when the item is finished there are no ends to weave in!  Magic!  😃

I'm starting to pull together other scraps of yarn to do this with (and regretting all that I've thrown away over the years).  I suspect variegated or a combination of solids and variegated will work the best with this.  I look forward to finding out.  

And that, dear reader, is all I've got!




2019 Yarn Stash-Down progress:  47.06/100 skeins!





8 comments:

  1. Good use of scraps of cotton. I use the invisible knot for mine. Must say the braid looks interesting. Might need to try that. With my scraps I managed to make about 10 cloths.....Lots of scraps here. LOL. So looking forward to your wrap up. Hopefully your mojo will return with the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your colors for your Flying Colors block are lovely. Sometimes we are too up close to our projects for too long to appreciate them. It truly is very pretty.
    I am going to be using up lots of stash on various projects this coming year. The Magic ball of yarn is right up my alley. I've not done it but I saw a Rusian Knot? version and now your braided version.....the neurons are firing! Thank you for an entire year of inspiration and beautiful items you've made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your "odds and ends" turned out so lovely! And I like that braid! The Bamcal square is really nice Becki, well done! Sometimes we lose our mojo...it happens...but it's always there right around the corner when we need it and are ready for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you will find your direction Becki with your hook and yarn...sometimes it's nice to just switch off and do something else, gives the mind a rest is how I always think of it and it's been somewhat similar here in the last month and I too have been reading more and one that happens you can bet that crafting time goes out the window!
    I love the selection of dishcloths this month and what a great way to use up your left over scraps I love it and the affect you achieved with your braiding. Nothing is too much trouble if you're enjoying it and it's bringing joy to you, that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that way of joining yarns is amazing and one I haven't seen before. Good to know with all the odds and ends I have around here! Your square is gorgeous, but yes, there must have been a lot of ends to sew in. Your dishcloth stash is beautiful and practical. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like your needles and yarn mojo may have returned with your magic balls of yarn, a great idea. I hate waste too, even my 3” waste yarn from cutting my weaving off he loom ends up being used to tie up yarn I’ve spun before it’s skeined!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your dishcloths! You are pro at that starfish one. I had trouble making one of those in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's all you've got? You're kidding! Seems to me that looks like a lot! And I must say I like that square - the colours look great from my end. And that join - I don't think I've seen that one before.

    ReplyDelete