Sunday, August 11, 2019

A new beginning...

While I'm still enjoying crocheting my Christmas blanket, I was in serious need of something else to crochet - to break up the monotony a bit.   

I spent a few minutes contemplating a couple of multi-pieced projects that have been languishing, but then I remembered that Helen Shrimpton was beginning an afghan project!  Why do something old when you can do something new?!?

I had made Helen's Mandala Madness years ago so I knew it could be challenging, but doable for me.  This new blanket CAL she's hosting is called Sacred Space.  Seeing that I was only a few weeks behind, I decided to go ahead and jump in.  

It took me most of last week to decide on my color scheme, but wanting to make good use of the huge stash of yarn I already own, I finally landed on making a replica of Melissa Hammersly's (it's the neon-looking one in the collection of pictures at this link).  

I only had to buy black yarn - everything else I'm pulling from stash.   Since I just got started on it yesterday, this is all I've finished:

This is 1/3 of the first section.  I can't wait to get back to it. 

Black yarn isn't necessarily a color I'd choose to work with in such a large project, but Melissa's blanket is striking and I'm finding myself excited to see how all the colors I've chosen will look crocheted up.  And it will be fun to show here how mine changes from week to week.    

~~~~~

Speaking of changes...  Not a whole lot has changed on my mystery cross stitch picture, but here is the latest (as of today):

Here's a little hint:  
Where the needle is is right about where the picture will finish (if I've counted correctly).

The background fabric is still pink, but for some reason photographed as white today.  Some of you were getting warm with your guesses last week - just so ya' know...


And that's a wrap for another week of crafting!  

~~~~~

On retirement:  It's going well.  I started to write a bit here, but decided to post it tomorrow.  If you're curious how it's going, come back! 






To see what my Year Of Projects buddies are up to, 
visit their blogs linked to in my sidebar.  👉



18 comments:

  1. I agree with you about starting a new project even though there are other projects waiting for attention. Your choice is beautiful and I will enjoy watching your progress each week. As for the cross stitch......a silhouette of a tree stump against a beautiful sunset?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does look like a tree stump, doesn't it? lol

      Delete
  2. looking forward to the next post! fun makes! Sending you a big HUG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! From tiny acorns oak trees grow! I just had a look at the link and looked at the blanket, they are huge and beautiful. I like the black with the bold colours, my favourite is the white and pale blue, but how do wash something so large and intricate? I’ll look out for your retirement post. This blanket will certainly be a great retirement project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure this will fit in a washing machine and dryer. It should be no larger than a full-size blanket. That's what I'm counting on, anyway. lol Also... if it does appear to be growing larger than I want it, I'm sure there will be a round where I can call it finished. That's what happened with the Mandala Madness. I didn't want it as large as the finished blanket would be so I just stopped where it made me happy. :)

      Delete
  4. Sometimes a new project is just what you need. The blanket looks like a major one too. Love your beginning. The cross stitch is looking good! I will keep an eye out for the retirement post! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how the black is creating a stained glass effect, but I know working with black can be hard on the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was afraid of. I do need to work under a bright "daylight" bulb. I'm slowly converting all my lamps to those anyway, it seems. :)

      Delete
  6. Loving your choice for the Sacred Place cal, black can be difficult to work with needs lot of light! But it is going to be amazing when done. I am thinking that the cross stitch is an oak tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon. I'm finding the black much easier to work with under bright light. An oak tree is a great guess. But no. lol

      Delete
  7. Oh your new blanket is gorgeous and I love the start you have made. As always beautiful colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE your new project!!! I had a peek at the site and saw all the different colour variations and they're all so beautiful. Can't wait to see yours develop. Oh....and I know exactly what the cross stitch is....a termite hill!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A termite hill! That is a great guess!!! Even if it's wrong. lol

      Delete
  9. You are one of the very few and best crocheter I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, Stef. That is so nice. Though... the more crocheters you get to know, the more you might change that thought. lol

      Delete