Sunday, December 6, 2020

The countdown to Christmas has begun...

I have to laugh a bit now at my grand idea of a daily "Advent Calendar" of projects.  I realized before I started I wasn't going to be able to do a project a day, but this past week I only managed to open two bags in five days.  That, of course, is okay, and now I think I have a more realistic idea of what I might actually accomplish this month.  And how long after Christmas I may end up enjoying my little "surprise" projects.  😉   

The first picture below is just to give an idea of what I pull out of a bag - I won't be taking a picture every day of this since it's really not that interesting (except to maybe see what I did as I was packaging things up).  Very simple, as you can see:

The yarn is Curio (sold by Knit Picks) in the colorway, Jalapeno.
The book wasn't in the bag, it's just the source 
of any doily patterns I may work this month.
 ___

And below is what was wrought with a teeny tiny hook 
and that pretty green thread:  

Doily #23
Realizing after posting how much the design looks like 
Sutton Hoo helmet.  Very cool.


Truth be told, it was not my favorite doily of the ones I've done so far in this book.  It wasn't exactly a difficult pattern, but I had trouble trusting the instructions.  How many times do I have to tell myself that this designer is brief in her instructions, but when she says to do a thing, I need to do it - not second guess her.

Honestly, I could have made this doily over at least two times in the length of time it took me to hesitatingly crochet what I wasn't sure of, then frog back some because I thought I'd made a mistake, then I'd re-read the instructions, scratch my head at how this was going to work out, and then FINALLY just do what the designer said to do.  Seriously, like...  nearly every round this would happen.  There was also a fair amount of my mis-reading or misinterpreting the instructions.  It happens.  And those picots!  The picots just didn't want to behave.  Still don't after blocking.  Sigh.  I'm not a fan of making fiddly picots, but the very least they could do for all the trouble they are is to behave.  Stick out straight.  Look purty.

Anyway, I'm glad #23 is done.  I'm not even giving it a better name as I want to remember to NOT mess with this one again.

And Advent package #2 was kitchen cotton, which meant I was to knit (or crochet, if I like) a dishcloth (or, in this case 2 dishcloths).  You may or may not be able to tell I worked two different stitch patterns on the cloths below.  I'd like to say it was done on purpose, that I had a plan, but the truth is, without thinking, I started making the one on the right in a stitch pattern that really does no favors to variegated yarn.  I remembered this about half-way in.  Oh well...  no way was I going to frog a perfectly useable dishcloth.  I had enough yarn (and some from another ball) left to make a second cloth, so I have the opportunity here to be able to show which stitch pattern works better with variegated colors.  To be clear, it's not like I think the dishcloth on the left is exactly amazing, but something about this stitch pattern makes the colors a little less unruly.  After Marsha (Lefty Crafter blog) introduced the pattern to me, the Double-Woven Stitch, used in the Darrell Waltrip Dishcloth pattern has been my go-to pattern for working with variegated kitchen cotton.


~~~~~

I also got to spend some time on my Linens and Threads sampler.  Can you tell the difference?

Two weeks ago:



Today:

I mentioned before that this is a large design in this sampler.  What you see above is maybe one-third to half-way finished?  At this rate, I might finish it before Christmas.  We'll see, I guess.

It's hard to believe there are less than three weeks until Christmas!  In a year where time has often felt meaningless, it's hard to believe it's about to just evaporate away in a few short weeks now.  I can't quite decide if I'm practically giddy at the thought of saying goodbye to 2020 or sad to be grieving such a dreadful year. 

It's my choice, so I'm going to choose to be glad.  I think.  Remind me if I forget.  Can't change what is behind, we can only hope for the future.

Are you finding time to do crafty things in these weeks before Christmas?  Or any of the things that bring you joy in this season?




32 comments:

  1. That doily is gorgeous. Your doilies are always so pretty. I must say, I despise making picots. They are way too fiddly. Nice job on getting 2 dishcloths done. The DW pattern is the best one, I have found for variegated yarn. Your Linen and Threads sampler is quite striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at the picture and just seeing little strangled globules that are standing in for picots I'm reminded that I often remake picots (adding a chain or closing them differently than instructed). I wonder if I should have re-made that round too. :^/ But thank you, Marsha.

      Delete
  2. There's nothing to say that you couldn't change the 12 DAYS of Christmas and instead make it the 12 MONTHS of Christmas. Just sayin'. Your doily looks beautiful - I don't see wonky picots at all. Perhaps a nice blocking would make you happier with it?
    I'm trying very hard to choose to be glad this Christmas but it's really hard. I'm not sure if it's because of the circumstances surrounding us all or if it's because this is the first year I've had everything Christmas-related done by the first of December. I've started a new landscape so hopefully that will help get me out of the doldrums. That and the fact that my 'light' is finally on the way here from Amazon. I'm holding out great hope that it will help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's blocked. No... the picots in this just had a mind of their own. Or maybe it's the thread. It's softer that Aunt Lydia's and Artiste, which I'm used to, so maybe I can blame all the places I'm not happy with on that. Oooh... I hope to hear about your light.

      Delete
  3. I really like that sampler! God bless you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your doilies rocks; I love seeing them every year. I like how that maroon thread contrasts against the white.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am knitting a rainbow scarf --shamelessly copying one an old blogging friend posted on instagram {her blog was deleted years ago}. I am really enjoying the process and will be done soon. On the last color before casting off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the things I make, it seems, are shamelessly copied. Going now to check your scarf! :)

      Delete
  6. I know I've told you before, but I love your Linens and Threads sampler and can't wait to see the finished product! Such a beautiful color too!

    Girl, you are so ambitious, even if you don't do a craft project every day! I'm over here just hoping to finish my shopping and wrapping before my Christmas guests arrive . . . 😬😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really not feeling very ambitious. The truth is, I don't have that much to do for Christmas. IF we all get together, it's just going to be us and our boys and I'm doing all the shopping (if I can) online. Gift wrapping takes time, but I've got a lot of that. Really... crafting is a way for me to pass this time of social distancing. We feel thankful that it's not hard for us to heed the pleas for us all to do that. If I had a large family or grandchildren, I might be singing a different tune, but for now, this Christmas season is pretty low-key here and crafting is a welcomed activity.

      Delete
  7. Heavens no! 😁 This is no time to be messing with craft projects at my house. Wonderful items you've created. I like the doily pattern, but have never done one with the fine thread and tiny crochet hook. You're accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first doily I made felt like I was working with a hooked toothpick and sewing thread. But it's funny how one's fingers get used to crochet thread and small hook. It doesn't feel hard now, but this new-to-me thread took a little getting used to.

      Delete
  8. Yes. How often I have to remind myself to trust the pattern! Especially when I crochet I often seem to have to back up and move forward a number of times. And I have to count the stitches every single row. Time consuming, but will hopefully get better the more I crochet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know I have company in this trusting the pattern area. :)

      Delete
  9. That’s funny, I was just thinking to myself how much I liked that doily and how it’s a little more modern looking and then I read your words. Well to me it seems to have been worth the battle and at least your book has lots of others still to try. I am amazed I’m managing to keep up with my advent shawl each day, but if it runs over into January then that’s ok. This has been a year like no other for sure, but I am glad it brought us the opportunity to have the Zoom calls with our YOP group and I feel having our crafts and our little group has been a huge thing in getting us through this year still sane,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have appreciated meeting some of you through Zoom. It brings the blog posts more to life as I can actually imagine your voice as I'm reading. And yes... I am thankful for handwork, too. Even though I haven't been as prolific as in years past, it has been a real gift during this year.

      Delete
  10. Your advent bags are such a great idea!!! Even just anytime during the year. Your doily is so pretty. I do the same thing and second guess the designer....what's up with that? I think I have trust issues! LOL! I'll have to remember that dishcloth pattern for variegated. I am not a fan of "pooling" in socks either. Your cross stitch is simply beautiful! I am still working on my crafts room...hopefully getting back to it at least. I think when I run across WIPs (and I know there are gobs of them in that room!) I will put them in bags and then just grab one at a time and finish them. I'll have to find some BIG containers to hold them all. I'm wondering if I should id them with the type of craft on the outside? Hmmm....this sounds like fun and I was wondering how I was going to manage all those WIPs. You have the best ideas! Have a great week and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust issues. lol I do have those from time to time. You know... sometimes when I just go through things again (to take stock, get organized) I find I am motivated to finish some things that had been languishing. I imagine if you bagged up your WIPs that sort of thing would likely happen. And look at you finishing that Kahlo basket! That was a great recent finish.

      Delete
  11. Hi Becki :)) Your doily #23 is really nice and I love those kitchen cloths!!! Your sampler is so pretty too, very nice stitch work! I am probably going against everyone's grain, but 2020 has been a GOOD year for me. Keeping in mind, I live in a very rural area that isn't really affected much by covid of course. I bought my house, we moved here, we are finished being renters, we met some nice people, we spend all of our time together...we are saving money...in my little Rain bubble, all is well so I'm bidding a fond farewell to 2020 with hopes that 2021 will be even better for me and Alex and the furries! :) Because we are kind of still in boxes here, we won't be putting up a tree, but I'll be making lots of Christmas goodies and I'll try to find room to put up a few decorations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Describing the year as dreadful might have been a little too much, but it's been quite the year - on a national level as well as a personal level. You have had a great year, even with the problems you had to overcome this summer on your new property. You are an inspiration, Rain.

      Delete
  12. I love your doily and the dishcloths, the doily looks perfect to me and so pretty. I never seem to be able to find the time to do all the craft things I plan to do and I suppose we just have to say it doesn't really matter or it would drive us mad, as long as we enjoy the process that's all that matters really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty much my philosophy when it comes to crafting. I don't really even set down plans anymore about it. Not that I ever followed plans when I did. ;^)

      Delete
  13. Beautiful work, I see the difference, the today is less fuzzy.
    Three weeks!
    Doily #23 reminds me of how much crochet thread I use to have or might still have. The green color thread is in my to do soon basket...maybe for a giveaway in January.
    Have a Happy Week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's an artist for you. You notice the characteristics of the photos and I'm talking about how much further along I am. lol I love trying to see the world from inside your brain when given the opportunity.

      Delete
  14. Gosh, I am not sure I could crochet with that small a hook and that fine a thread. My eyes are not up to that any more, but the design is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how much longer I will be able to, myself. Motivates me to keep trying while I have the eyesight for it. :)

      Delete
  15. Your doily is just lovely, very intricate and it looks very much as if it never hesitated for a second. I gather that's not quite the case! I agree with you about variegated yarn. The more varied the yarn, the simpler the stitch, seems to work best. Save fancy stitches for a yarn than will let us see the stitch definition, after all the trouble you go to to make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz. I know we are usually our own worst critics. ;^)

      Delete
  16. That is a cute little doily. I love making doilies but haven't done any thread crocheting in a long time. I blame it on my eyesight but with good light I think I will give it a try soon. Your cross stitching is lovely! Keep up the good work!💖

    ReplyDelete