Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Making Space...

I've decided to spend more time purging craft items.  And hubs joined in with a few items from his study. This time I've gone through my paper crafting supplies and just general craft supplies.  This category is both easy and hard.   It's easy because I was able to identify some supplies that I bought on sale once upon a time, but have never used.  My normal MO would be to tell myself "I might still use it someday", but the decluttering me says, "Stop kidding yourself!  You haven't used it in years, let someone else have a shot at it."  At the moment, this kind of self-talk is easy.  I'm listening to the voice that says, "Let it go!"   

The hard part is that there still is a lot of stuff that makes no sense to me at the moment to let go of, so while there's a measurable amount of bits and pieces leaving, the containers these things in are nowhere near empty, so I'm not really changing the space this stuff takes up.  Not yet, anyway.  I need to think on this.  In a future home, it may be worthwhile to reconfigure my containers and consolidate perhaps, but as I'm trying to declutter right now, consolidating and rethinking my storage doesn't make sense to spend much time on, so that makes this a bit hard.  At this point, I just have no idea if a next home will have space for this stuff, or what that space will look like.  

For now I think I will just trust that letting go of stuff is progress regardless of whether or not I'm downsizing a significant number of containers of craft stuff at this point.  

Here is this week's haul:





As usual, if I counted every single item, there'd be far more than the count is when I sometimes count groups of items, but I'm claiming 80 items gone this week.

Vee asked last week:  "Are you releasing items just to be getting them gone or are you taking a careful look at it? ... It is interesting to see each person's style."

The answer is a bit of both.  I'm not striving for minimalism at this point, not because the idea doesn't appeal to me, but that's not very realistic.  And I don't want to spend money needlessly replacing things I think I really might use when I have the time or inclination.  On the other hand, I've had things for many years that I've hung onto for that exact reason, and when I admit I'm still not using these things, it's very freeing to let them go.   It's freeing to release myself from the expectation that I will (or must) use the thing, and to release myself from the guilt over money spent on something I never used.  Sure, I still spent the money on it, but if I make it available to someone else to use, the money spent is much less guilt inducing.

So...  while yes, the goal is to get things gone - for various reasons, I am trying to apply some thought.  That said, sometimes I do just say to something I'm waffling over, "You're outta here!"  And there is a weird relief when that happens.

In some future posts, I'll try to share some resources that I'm finding helpful as I sort through a lifetime of stuff.  Different things help me on different days, or when sorting through different things.

I'm going to spend a bit more time on crafty stuff for another day or so, so more may show up next week.  Or maybe not.  Each week is a surprise.  😉


Making Space Week 39:  326 things gone!



15 comments:

  1. You are so good about releasing items. Especially craft items. That is my hardest area to do. I have sunk so much money into some of the crafts that are just sitting there. And I mean sitting for well over 15 years! I need you to come to my house and help me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was better about releasing stuff. If I could truly grasp what I want the upcoming stage of life to be about I think I'd get even freer - let even more stuff go.

      Delete
  2. I love your honesty about items you have had for years and never got around to using. Soooo true. For many of us. That sunk cost fallacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've taken a lot of encouragement from others who've faced this sunk cost fallacy honestly. It helps to know it's a common predicament.

      Delete
  3. That amount is quite impressive, I totally get your reasoning. I need to sort my craft stuff also, I get spurts of enthusiasm for different crafts but the interest doesn't seem to last that long hence I have all sorts of bit's and pieces with a great big question mark hovering above them, will I get the urge to try this again. It's a dilemma. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the past I often purchased craft items when they were on clearance - with no idea of how I might use some of these things. When I see years later that I haven't even opened some of the packages it's an easy "get rid of". Fortunately, I didn't spend very much on this kind of thing (individually), but over the course of years of doing this kind of thing I do regret the many little purchases like this that amounted to me just storing things. sigh

      Delete
  4. I, too, are letting things go. While it seems that “maybe” I would use something in the future, the reality is that in the past - in some cases years - I haven’t used that item. And the chances of use in the future is very small. But the joy in the space obtained is in the NOW! And it really is the goal I am aiming for - space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could come along with you and be inspired by your purges, Elaine. Sounds like we're on a similar path at the moment. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  5. I'm always inspired when you share your thought processes Becki. We all let things go for different reasons I think but with the underlying belief that we all just simply have too much stuff. I have been working diligently at downsizing my stash through the 'use it up' school of thought but am suddenly finding myself in a position where some things are used and I need to replace them. I'm waffling over my crazy quilt fabric stash and one day I might just bite the bullet and turf the lot. I've worn out the love for it and truly doubt I will want to do any more so keeping all those bits of 'fancy' fabrics is a bit useless. Having said that, my storage system is set up perfectly for them and nothing else will quite 'fit' in the drawers instead....at least not the quantities of cottons I now am using towards the landscapes. On the other hand, if I got rid of the CQ fodder I'd have 7 empty drawers and perhaps I could get rid of the drawer units themselves and reconfigure the closet to hold my landscape materials. Decisions, decisions!!! Bottom line....I'm lazy...AND...I don't want to have to invest $$ in another type of storage system. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing all of this, Mary-Anne. It really is helpful to see inside the mind of someone working through these kinds of thoughts. It has a way of bringing a bit of clarity - both about "stuff", and about one's own thought processes.

      Delete
  6. Progress, any and all, is very good. I bog down in the details. I should empty the room to the basics and only what I really want goes back. The rest should be a hearty, healthy "You're outta here." Your decluttering posts are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy to get bogged down. It's tempting to sort through things minutely and rethink my storage, but I know that will be a recipe right now for slowing down the momentum I'm feeling. At some point, it will make sense to do that. OTOH, like you suggested above, I find emptying a (small) space completely then deciding what to put back brings clarity about whether or not I want an item. For example, I purged some fabrics (I posted last week) by emptying a small cabinet where I store some large pieces of fabrics. I've gone white-haired since I bought some of it and I got rid of what I'm not likely to look good in now if I made the clothing I originally bought it to make. Those are actually easy decisions, and I'm not allowing myself to feel badly about the money spent. Rather, I imagine someone coming across these fabrics in a thrift store and how delighted they will be. :)

      Delete
  7. You are doing good and thoughtful purging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you Becki! I think the hardest thing for me to purge is anything "crafty"...before we moved last year, I had to recycle too many old yogurt containers and paper towel rolls to count lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you. I threw out a bunch of hotel toiletries that my had passed on to me because she cleaned out her halfway closet. The family was coming over and the bag they were in had been sitting by the fireplace for months 😂. 🤫 shhh...don't tell her.

    ReplyDelete