Sunday, February 6, 2022

Kitchen organization...

Another one of my favorite rooms in the new house is the kitchen.  Even so,  it has taken some time to develop true comfortableness in.  Moving smoothly while cooking in a kitchen is something of a dance, as one moves from fridge, to counter, to oven, to sink, and any combination of back and forth between these spaces while preparing a meal.  Remembering where I placed specific dishes and utensils was a trick in the beginning, but once I figured out the right spot to store things and began to remember where things were, it was just a matter of time before movement in there started to become second nature.  

Having a different configuration of drawers and cabinets required me to come up with different ways of organizing and storing stuff.  The first thing for me to figure out were two corner "lazy-susan" type cabinets.  The first house that we bought (in 1987) had one of these cabinets and I remember storing food items in there, but having a nice sized pantry, I didn't need to use the space for that.  So I googled for ideas and came up with this:




I don't know that I would have ever come up with the idea of storing pots and pans, and other cooking equipment in these spaces, but as I'm using them this way, it feels like a perfect solution to these somewhat awkward storage spaces.  Handles of pots and pans can be tucked inside toward the middle, and everything can be stored with its lid on.  That may just be my favorite part - that I don't have to grab a lid from another location.

Then it was time to figure out some drawer storage issues.  

In our last house, we had a plastic Rubbermaid double-decker silverware divider.  We'd had it so long it was vintage - like us.  It worked well enough in the drawer we had always used it in, but it really didn't fit the drawers here very well, so I starting looking for something that would suit the space better.  After studying options online, I finally decided to give one of these bamboo adjustable drawer dividers a try.  I made a Christmas gift to myself of it, and I'm pretty happy with it.


It does slide backwards, since the drawer is about 4 inches deeper than this divider, but it's easy enough to pull it forward when I open the drawer.  I like this so much better than my double-decker silverware holder that never quite fit everything I wanted to put in the drawer.

Then I decided to rethink how I store knives.  We've always had a counter top knife block, and a wall mounted one, but both of the ones I owned had seen much better days (one was as old as our marriage).  Trying to eliminate what I can from the counter tops, I set out to find good drawer storage options for knives.   After studying different products online, I decided to go with a bamboo knife drawer "block", and I love it!

There's also room in the drawer to store other knife-y stuff beside it.    I actually have a second (smaller) drawer knife block nearer the microwave.  It holds the knives that were previously held in the wall knife holder. Does a couple need so many knives?   I'm sure not, but I've grown used to having a variety, and having them in different spots in the kitchen I can tell you... it's very handy to have options if you do a lot of cooking.

Next, I decided to tackle the toughest spot of all.  The utensil drawer.  Ugh.  This one I got a before picture of.  Anyone else have a utensil drawer that looks like this?


Honestly, before all the decluttering last year, this drawer (in our old house) looked much worse. Why it took moving for me to do something different, I'll never know.  

Online options were harder to figure out on this one, so I just kept putting off making any decisions.  And then before Christmas I was in Home Goods, and I found this Joseph Joseph drawer organizer:

I was intrigued by the many pieces, and imagining I could use any left over sections in other spaces, I ended up buying two sets - with the thought I could return these easily if they weren't what I wanted.

Well, it took me until sometime in January to pull it out and figure out how it works and how I wanted the utensil drawer divided.  I had no idea how the components fitted together, but look at this:

It's like some children's toys I've seen where pieces are made to fit together no matter what side you put up against another side.  Fantastic.  I will confess... this was the most expensive single purchase I made, but it was worth it.  Note:  I see it online for more than I paid  - which was 16.99 per set at Home Goods.  Now I like it even more!

I finally figured out what pieces would work with what I wanted to keep in this drawer, and this is what I came up with:
On my goodness!  It's almost hurts my heart thinking of how many years I shuffled through a messy kitchen drawer looking for the garlic press, or a wisk, or the kitchen shears, or those silly little flat plastic scrappers that always migrated to the back of the drawer.  All the time I spent getting exasperated...  No more!  I love this.   And I have pieces left over that will help organize some bathroom or office drawers eventually.

Full disclosure:  I also store several utensils in a holder on the counter for super easy reach:

But when all was said and done, I decided I so rarely (if ever) use these utensils, they can go:
Yay!  Decluttering too!


Okay, finally....

Another area that had me flummoxed was the bottom freezer of the refrigerator that came with the house.  I've never before had a bottom freezer and honestly... until I figured out a storage system, I was in serious dislike over mine. 

I went to the computer again to see what solutions others had come up with for storing food in what is basically a big box.  I wish I had thought to take a picture of what a mess my freezer was before I fixed it, but if you have one of these freezers, and you haven't yet tamed it, check this out:


Who knew the solution is the opposite of just throwing things on top of other things 'till the stuff on the bottom is so buried you can't possibly see what you have down there? 

I bought two taller-than-normal clear plastic bins (from Home Goods), and with the help of the sturdy white divider that came in the drawer I was able to create four separate spaces to store things.  I know it only looks like three different spaces, but let me explain what is pictured here.  From left to right, the first clear plastic bin holds meat, and slid down between the meat bin and the white divider is a slim package of naan bread, and another slim package of flat bread.  Bacon or any slim packages could also fit in this space.  Moving right, in the space between the white divider and the second clear plastic bin, I have packages of frozen fruits and nuts.  And in that last plastic bin on the right, I store packages of frozen vegetables.  

Except for the packages of fruit, I tried to fill the boxes with things stacked on their side or on end.  Marie Kondo would be proud, I think.  Doing this, means nothing has to be removed to get to something else.  Except the fruit.  For some reason my baggies of fruit didn't stand on end.  They are more floppy. 

There is also a shallow drawer above this space that holds the ice collection tray, and is where we keep coffee and several containers of ground grains, yeast, chia seeds... stuff like that.  Since all those things have stiff containers, and nothing can really get buried there, I don't have a need to divide up the space.

If you like this idea, I suggest that you look for the tallest bins that will fit in your freezer box.  To know what will fit, empty out the box, then measure the smallest part of the box - my freezer box tapers near the bottom, so I wanted to be sure to measure the bottom of the box, not the top, and buy a bin that would fit that measurement.  And of course, you can't use a bin that is taller than the box, so that measurement is important too.  Seriously, I'm making this sound this harder than it is.  Once you empty it out, just take all the right measurements and you're golden. 

Have fun if you do this.  Truly, this changed my relationship with my bottom freezer.  I almost prefer it over a top freezer now.  Actually, if I could keep ice from accidentally escaping when I scoop some into a glass, I would prefer it.  The ice situation is an irritant. If someone knows the solution to slippery rogue ice cubes, I'd love to hear it.

I'm counting all this kitchen organization (but mostly just my freezer) as one new thing added to my growing collection of new things in 2022 - for 8 new things!   




32 comments:

  1. I love Joseph Joseph products. Your utensil drawer before photo looks just like mine does now. Thanks for the info on the organizer. I too have a bottom freezer and it is a challenge. You have done a fabulous job of taming it. I am so enjoying "watching" you settle into your new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marsha. I'd never heard of Joseph Joseph products, or who these brothers were until I bought this and was curious enough to look the brand up. They have some very clever items.

      Delete
  2. Moving into a new kitchen is always challenging at first, my kitchen is so small with hardly any storage space, my only option was to go through everything and delegate most of my stuff to the garage keeping only things I use regularly in the kitchen, I still have to use my counter tops and my kitchen looks very cluttered. That utensil drawer of yours before it's makeover, well mine is like that now. I am so impressed with all your organisation, everything is so neat and tidy. I think I need to see if I can introduce similar especially that utensil drawer. Have a great week. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having to find space in the attached garage for some larger things like crockpots, an instapot, things that are kind of heavy and bulky that I don't use all that often. I'm so glad we have a passively heated garage with this house (because the furnace is out there). It's almost like having a second pantry.

      Delete
  3. I notice one of your items to declutter is an apple slicer, which I use daily, to the point of bluntness! Different strokes. I have a chest freezer and I use various plastic baskets to keep things organized, sort of, and visible, sort of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used it some when my kids were young (probably because I thought it was safer for them to use it than a knife), but honestly, cutting an apple with a paring knife is just as quick for me. I never think to look for this. If memory serves correctly, it seems like even when I used the corer/slicer, I had to cut out some seeds because getting that thing exactly straight rarely happened for me. I have given such things more thought since hurting my thumb joint, though. I'm actually just quarantining these for the moment, but I'm expecting they will go and if I need an apple corer at some point in the future it's one of those things that just isn't that expensive to replace.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic storage solutions! Thank you
    The utensil storage is mind boggling great. The declutter items, er, you might miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... the ability to design the storage system that will best fit the space and items stored is genius to me. I only wish the pieces were all the same color, but shades of gray (and one ivory piece) I can live with.

      The only item I'm even wondering if I'll want in the future is the baster. In case you're right, I'm putting the items in quarantine to see if I might really want to use them. But honestly, I prefer to use a hand mixer to make mashed potatoes, I prefer a paring knife over an apple corer/slicer, and the cheese slicer always leaves me with a "wing" on the end of a slice of cheese (maybe I need a different type of slicer). The other things things I've never even used. Not once. Curious what you use of these things, May...

      Delete
  5. Thankfully, I no longer have my disliked bottom freezer. I might have liked it if I had thought to go looking for a solution as you did. Well done! I can't believe you will declutter those items. I could not live without my potato masher, baster, and apple sectioner. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's interesting how we all use things differently. I bought each of those things thinking they were surely better to use than what I had previously used. But in the end, left to my natural ways, I always default to the tools I originally used for the jobs these tools were made for (see previous responses to comments). For example, my mother used a mixer to make mashed potatoes (I guess they were mixed and not mashed). I didn't even know a potato masher existed until at a friend's house helping pull a meal together, and my friend handed me this odd-looking tool and asked me to mash the potatoes. It worked, but it was a LOT of work (I thought). I did buy myself one after that and I used it a few times, but in the end, a hand mixer is much easier for me. And the potatoes are so creamy...

      Delete
  6. I too put up with tons of junk and disarray until I retired and slowly put some order to things. I have fond corralling things helps me keep it more organized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, corralling is a good word. I'm on a quest to corral everything. It's the container concept! If it doesn't fit the container, it probably needs to go.

      Delete
  7. Your kitchen must be so very organized. I keep on trying but it’s just never quite right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like to keep an organized kitchen, which mystifies me more why I'd never organized the utensil drawer. My kitchen can get untidy from use, and I'm guilting of letting at least one surface be a clutter collector, but if you open drawers or cabinets you'll pretty much always see them organized.

      Delete
  8. Bravo! Any interest in traveling a few hundred miles south and doing a consultation?! I'm sure my wife would take suggestions from you better than from me! We got some of those drawer organizers a couple years ago and have found them very helpful. I like your ideas for the freezer too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol You make me laugh, Bob. I'd probably be the same way with my husband. And the only way I'd care about what a consultant had to say is if I picked him or her out myself. I wish I was so clever that I could say these were my ideas. I'm glad you like them. The freezer really is my absolute favorite.

      Delete
  9. I'm inspired! I'll do some work on the kitchen today. I'm still searching for the perfectly practical way to arrange the cabinet. Yours looks so lovely and tidy, Becki, well done!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just discovered you're blogging again. I'm caught up now and love your new home and all your bird friends. Your kitchen organization tips and organizers are wonderful I have a corner cabinet and never thought of pots and pans. I love the drawer organizers and I may have to invest in them, especially the knife block! Glad you are enjoying your new home and I hope your hands heal up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam. It's so good to see you. I'm glad you like what I've shown. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. I really like your storage spaces and how you've organized them. Oh and BTW, if you're interested, my new blog's up: With Book and Wool Here and a Spatula and Thread There. Can you guess what inspired the title? ^__^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stef! I've been wondering when I would see a new blog post from you. Thank you for letting me know you have a new blog. Adding it to my sidebar now! :)

      Delete
  12. Wow Becki! Looks like a lot of great progress! We are starting to go through our kitchen things as we are looking forward to the time when there are less of us here and we need less - although I still suffer from the "We might need that (fill in the blank) someday". Inevitably, we do not.

    Oddly enough, I am not a fan of drawers and cupboards. They make it easy to hide things without dealing with them, or at least they do with me. I do best when things are out where I can see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, TB, about things hiding in drawers and cupboards. As much as I've tried to get my kitchen tools down to what I truly use, I know there are things that are still taking up space that probably get used so little they're probably not worth keeping. It is very easy to close the doors and drawers and forget about them.

      Delete
  13. I loved reading this post! You mentioned that the silverware holder slides to the back of the drawer and ours did too until DH added another divider at the back which holds things we might use once or twice a year but still need to have somewhere in the kitchen.
    Also...re the upper vs. lower freezer issue....we have a lower freezer and we absolutely love it and live in dread of the day when our fridge (which we brought from the house) gives up the ghost and will need to be replaced with one issued by the apartment management. All their fridges are smaller 'apartment sized' and of course have the freezer on the top. We're both tall and simply can't understand why the valuable fridge real estate that you use constantly would be on the bottom where it's harder to get at. Just my two cents worth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. I just checked to see if I had something that would fit back there, but I'm realizing the space is only about 2 inches inches (not 4 inches like I wrote above). I think I'm stuck with what I've got. Though, for now, I'm going to try just letting the divider thingie always stay toward the back of the drawer where it keeps ending up, and drop whatever small things I use regularly and will fit in the space in front (a vegetable peeler and some service pieces are there now). We'll see how that works.

      Delete
  14. My balloon whisk comment is missing so clearly my fix earlier in the week didn’t work. I wondered what you use them for as see you are keeping 3 and they didn’t make the donate pile. I haven’t used mine in years and was considering getting rid of it but seeing you keep 3 makes me think I should keep mine in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz. Glad to see your comments are coming through again! I use a whisk to stir or whip anything liquid-y: to scramble eggs before cooking, to stir hot chocolate while it's heating (to keep chocolate from settling on the bottom of a pan), to make a roux or gravy, stirring pancake or waffle batter, stirring pudding as it's cooking... I reach for a whisk almost as often as I reach for a wooden spoon. I don't know if all three whisks are different sizes, but I do have at least two different sizes - comes in handy depending on the size of the container I'm stirring something in. The smallest is most often used for scrambling eggs in a bowl that's basically cereal size. Have I convinced you to save yours? lol I think it's really interesting how we all use kitchen tools differently.

      Delete
    2. You’ve reminded me I do use it when I make pancakes but that’s usually just on pancake day so once a year which is why I’d forgotten. Scrambled eggs I use a fork, gravy because only my husband likes it he has instant gravy in a tiny jug I mix with a fork too. I’ll keep it and now we have a drawer instead of pot for it perhaps it will behave itself a bit better and stop jumping out at me. Must be pancake day coming up…mmm pancakes!

      Delete
    3. The power of suggestion is very strong, isn't it? :) I've been wanting waffles lately - remembering how I use a whisk to fold the mixer-beaten eggs into the batter. Cleaning up from waffle making is such a chore, though. I have to seriously want them to go to the trouble.

      Delete
  15. Hi Becki, Sister Sherri here. I loved looking at your new very organized kitchen. I can imagine it must be fun to whip something up in there. I love my bottom freezer that came with my new apartment. Of all the refrigerators I've ever had, this is what I would buy were I to remodel a kitchen once I finally buy a home again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherri! My kitchen here is a welcome upgrade from my 1964 kitchen, updated with 1970's wallpaper and 1999 vinyl flooring. 🙄 This kitchen is a decade shy of being a modern 21st century kitchen, but I'm pretty happy with it. 😊 Itxs not a big kitchen, but I'm enjoying having plenty of counter surface to work on.

      Now that it's organized, my bottom freezer makes me smile instead of groan when I open it.

      Delete