Friday, April 28, 2023

This is berry good news...

Recently I came upon an idea that got me very excited.  After doing my own experiment, I'm happy to share this new-to-me food storage tip.

Did you know you can store fruits like berries in the fridge, in glass jars, sealed up tight for a longer period of time than if you leave them in the containers they were sold in?   

For how long?  

I don't know for sure, but for quite a bit longer than not storing them this way.

I placed unwashed blueberries in a glass canning jar sealed with a canning lid and canning ring on March 19th.    I didn't remove any air from the jar, and it was only finger tightened.  On April 26th (over a month later) I opened the jar to use the blueberries to make some muffins.  

There was one small little puddle of blueberry juice on the bottom of the jar, but otherwise the blueberries looked perfect.  Not a single one was moldy, or had skin that was compromised.


At this point, I washed them off (for the first time since purchasing them) and let the blueberries dry on a paper towel:


Nothing appears to be wrong with these blueberries.  No smell, no mold growing, and they taste fine.

Now, do I recommend storing berries for over a month in the fridge just because you can?  Well, no...  mostly because I imagine they may have deteriorated in their nutritional content.  And I think these must have been incredibly fresh berries to begin with to have lasted this long.

I would not normally buy blueberries with the intention of storing them this long, but the point is... storing them this way will probably keep them intact and usable for far longer than just popping them in the fridge in their original containers - which for me, almost inevitably means I'm going to end up throwing out at least a few (if not many) berries before I get around to using them.    

I also tried this with strawberries and blackberries.  The strawberries lasted at least a week - maybe longer - before one started getting soft, and I stopped the experiment at that point.  I don't know about you, but before this I had never found a way to store strawberries so that they stayed edible for more than a day or two, max.  

I think I broke into the blackberries about two weeks after storing them, and they were fine. 

When I buy large quantities of berries on sale, my plan is always to wash and freeze quickly what I don't think we'll eat right away.  I will continue to do that, but from now on, I will be taking the fresh berries I expect we'll eat soon out of their plastic containers and storing them in glass jars that I can seal tightly with a lid. That way, if they don't get eaten right away I will have bought myself at least some extra days, maybe more than a week, before they go bad because I lost track of them.

Of course, your mileage may vary with this.  So many things can affect how long fresh fruit will stay edible once we've gotten it home.  How long ago was it picked?  How far did it have to travel?  What conditions was it subjected to before I bought it?  How did I treat it once I got it home?  The number of things that affect fresh produce is kind of endless, and most things are out of our control.  The only thing really in my control is how I store it once I get it home.

So tell me... did you know about this way of storing berries?   It's so incredibly easy, I don't understand why this isn't common knowledge?  Or am I just the last person in the world to know about this?


18 comments:

  1. Oddly enough, I just saw this tip using strawberries somewhere online and I wondered if there was any validity to it. Now I know and I'll definitely try it. Thank you for experimenting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Anne, I'm looking forward to trying this experiment with some fresh strawberries from our own patch, and with fresh blueberries grown closer to home later in the summer. To be honest, eating old (even if intact) fruit isn't the most appealing thing to me, but I am fascinated to have possibly found a way to keep fresh berries from expiring too quickly.

      Delete
  2. Interesting idea. I must admit that my berries don't last long enough to warrant special storage! But if you buy in quantity, yes, I can see that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are my hero in using up fresh produce quickly and in innovative ways, Liz. Even with my best intentions, it almost never fails that something (especially fresh produce) gets overlooked and some of it inevitably thrown away. Though, I am doing better all the time... :)

      Delete
  3. No, I did not know this, so thanks for sharing your experience. As for how long to keep them, they don't last long for me because I LOVE homemade blueberry pancakes and can't wait to make them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blueberry pancakes are the best. 😋

      Delete
  4. I did not. I wonder what keeps them longer - the lack of exposure to oxygen?

    My daughter's eat a lot of berries. I will share this with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know the science behind why this works, TB. The results are counter-intuitive to my way of thinking of storing fresh produce.

      Delete
  5. I did not know this but will try it sometime. I have also found that washing berries in a vinegar water will help them last longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try this, Ruth. Normally, I don't wash berries until I'm ready to eat them, but now I'm curious if I can buy a few more days of them being fresh with your vinegar water suggestion.

      Delete
  6. I did not know, but will definitely try it as I do like eating berries, but rarely eat them quickly enough. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No clue about storing berries. I wonder now how long smoothies are good after freezing them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did know they last longer if you don't wash until you use them, but didn't know about this. I will have to try and experiment. I do eat a lot of berries and usually keep them on hand all the time, but for someone like my mom who is the only one eating at her house that would be very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not being a big fruit eater, it makes me happy to find a way to keep fresh berries edible longer. :)

      Delete
  9. Add me to the "no I did not know this" list, and also to the "I'll be doing this" list. Love fruit, especially berries, and it frustrates me when it goes bad. Thanks for a great tip, Becki!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to know. Thanks very much.
    I love cakes and it's a great idea to bake blueberry muffins :-))
    Happy Spring to you from Viola

    ReplyDelete