Saturday, November 18, 2023

Things are returning to normal around here...


So... in my last post I thought I was returning to normal.  That was a false start.  I went downhill for a few weeks after pronouncing I felt almost normal.  Turns out, with a fast and unexpected downturn, it's taken about 5 weeks after my 4th chemo infusion to approach the level of energy and stamina I had reached by Day 10 of my first 3 chemo cycles.  I can't believe how knocked down I felt this time around.  Weak muscles everywhere.  No stamina for a week or two.  Breathing was too easily labored.  I don't mind admitting I got a little worried and depressed.  

While I've developed a cough that keeps hanging around, x-rays last week show my lungs are clear, so I'm trusting it eventually goes away.   While normal will, no doubt, be something different than before surgery and chemo, I am getting back to some semblance of it.  I've become motivated to grocery shop and cook again, and it helps greatly that my tastebuds have started to work again.  Not perfectly, yet, but food has ceased being one of the biggest disappointments of my days.

While I didn't feel good enough for most of the first half of autumn to truly enjoy it, I do know it's been a beauty this year.  Our trees have, a few at a time, all turned gorgeous colors in recent weeks, and the hanger-on-ers will likely drop most of their leaves by Thanksgiving.

The most beautiful of our late shedders

I'm still at a spot where there is so much more I could write about what's going on with my health, but after this post, I think I will have reached a point in this journey where I won't necessarily want to put it out there for public consumption.  I know...  considering what I have put out there, it may seem a little late for that.  I don't like to present a picture online that may look rosier than it is, but if I'm at least this honest in this post with those of you who've followed along in recent months, I think I'll feel like I'm being "real enough" right now.  Not that there are rules about this sort of thing.  My blog, my rules.  These posts have truly been mostly for my benefit, and as some kind of record after time passes and I will have forgotten much of it.

I will have follow-ups with my oncology doctors for several years to come, and it appears my GP is following along via a patient portal with great interest.  I heard from her earlier this week, in fact, when as of last week I had my first DEXA scan. 



I'm not sure if these are routinely ordered for cancer patients (under age 65), but because my doctor wants me to go on endocrine therapy via an Aromatase Inhibitor, and AI's are known to affect bone mass, a bone density test was ordered to find out what my baseline is.  I'm not at all comfortable with the news that I'm running at a deficit in that department, and I now need to add dealing with osteoporosis to my bag of tricks.  After spending a few days worrying that every little discomfort in my back is my spine ready to crack in two (or a hundred) pieces, I've decided one cannot live like that.  While I'm learning how to hopefully preserve what bone mass I have, and hope beyond hope I may actually be able to improve things, I've decided I kind of have to live and move like I'd never read the O-word on my report.  That is a challenge. Of course, I can't live like it doesn't exist, but I can't live in fear of it, I've finally concluded.  More easily said than done, but...  well...  at least I've said it.

I'm holding off until after Thanksgiving to start popping that powerful little daily AI pill.  I may or may not report side effects of that therapy.  Honestly, the reason I may not share a lot more about all of this is I don't want to attract unsolicited advice from anyone who doesn't have the complete picture for a subject that is complicated and in some cases (I have learned) is controversial. Living in the age of the internet and YouTube influencers is both a blessing and a burden.  Too many people think they are an expert on something that very few people truly are - even the experts, I fear.

I wrote about this weeks ago, but I am now entering the stage of treatment that many women who've dealt with breast cancer have to traverse mostly alone (under the care of their doctors).  I will be living my life more normally, and engaging more publicly in my social circles than I have for the last five months, but there will be a quiet, private work happening outside of the purview of most people I engage with.   It is the stage that I started dreading a month ago, and it is here.  This is new territory for me.  While the introvert in me has always appreciated keeping a "private life", I've not had any big secrets either - certainly, not where it comes to my health. I'm pretty much "what you see is what you get".  Or so I thought.  Frankly, I haven't felt like there's been much to see until recently, thank goodness.

Ah well...  we all march on with growing older, don't we.  As matter-of-fact as that is, this is not a reality I seriously ever imagined maneuvering.  Which is silly when I think about it.  I mean, we all hope to grow old, and while some of us do a better job preparing our bodies to face things that are common as we grow older, who of us actually prepares our minds, and is psychologically prepared for the myriad things we may have to maneuver as we go through our senior years?  As someone who has often thought I operate with a decent amount of mental clarity, I don't feel particularly mentally prepared for this - except for my superpower of compartmentalizing when it suits me.  

I have a feeling now that skill is only going to get me so far.



I really hope this place I'm in in my mind is a phase.  Hopefully, in a few months I'll have made changes that need to happen, a new normal will emerge, and maybe I won't be so consumed by these kinds of thoughts.  I'll get on with life.  Will continue healing from my surgery earlier this year, and will just get on with doing the things I need to do.  I guess I've already started doing that.

And hopefully, there will be plenty of fun (maybe even interesting) stuff to share here.

Having felt a bit of a loss recently when it comes to blogging, I've been thinking about what to do to spark some mojo in that department.  Maybe I'll try posting daily in December.  Maybe I'll challenge myself in a way I'm willing to share here.  Meanwhile, I'm enjoying catching up with my bloggy friends, and seeing what motivates and sparks creativity in you all.   If you got this far, thank you from the bottom of my heart for reading.  And thank you all for the encouragement you've sent my way.  I am grateful.

Just for fun, here's a photo of me and my two older sisters (taken in our living room) that was recently circulated on a family Facebook page that Greg has been posting lots of photos to:


While it isn't a particularly good picture, it sure shows well the time frame (probably 1964) and evokes a lot of nostalgia for me.  I'm sure at the time I loved wearing the same dress as my big sisters.  That seemed to be a thing back then.

20 comments:

  1. Your blog has given me quite a bit of insight as to being a survivor. And now that my son is facing brain cancer surgery and aftercare treatments, I have an idea of the kind of road that is aheadnfor him too. Although each person's road has it's own twists and turns, your story has brought some things to light I never knew could happen. As you move forward just know, my prayers continue for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Marsha, I'm so sorry to read this. I know you all have waited a long time for a diagnosis. I will be praying - for skillful surgeon(s), for your son's stamina for what's ahead, for restored health. And for a peace that passes all understanding for all of you.

      Delete
  2. thank you for your openness to telling what you've been dealing with, and I think you're at a hard place that I only know of from friends who've been there, the re entry into "normal" life where your schedule is not governed by treatments.

    Some things you won't want to discuss, and I can guess that it's to avoid unwanted insistent advice. You've made wise decisions up to now about what and when to share, and I think your good judgment will still serve you well. I really like hearing from you, at whatever interval you choose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz. Re-entry into normalness is so welcomed - on so many levels. It's not just in what I will feel like I can do, but even things as simple as conversations will perhaps become normal again. I'm hoping normal also means I get my blogging mojo back and find interest in sharing normal stuff again.

      Delete
  3. I’ve been following your blog for years, ever since you were nice to me when I joined Ravelry.I appreciate the time and effort you have put in to take us on your journey with you. I’ve learned more from you than many others. You’ve never allowed this disease to define you , that alone is a triumph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Regina! What a lovely comment. You have made my day! It is wonderful to hear from you. I still have a Ravelry account, but haven't been active there for several years. I'm contemplating joining next year's Block A Month (BAM CAL) group to see if I can't find inspiration for finishing my languishing fancy granny square blanket.

      Delete
  4. Lovely picture!
    Thank you for the memory of those style of dresses.
    Your journey these past months is helpful to folks that can see your strength. In our future, we may have your words comfort us as bloggers comfort you. We are there for each other.
    The new daily fun of aging, has to be one with a dash of humor. What I'd like to do, is to stop worrying my brain is going everytime I try to use my computer keyboard like it is my cell phone.

    Have a wonderful Sunday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being such an encouragement, May. Truly, it is appreciated.

      Delete
  5. Bless you Becki you have been on one heck of a journey and I know that your words will help others who are going through a similar situation. My heart goes out to you I think you have been and are being so brave. As for the osteoporosis my last DEXA scan was more than 10 years ago and I was borderline osteoporosis then, I try to do weight bearing exercises and eat lots of calcium rich foods and I'm hoping that it's enough, the exercise bit is the worst because i much prefer to sit and crochet and read haha. That photo is so sweet! have a lovely Sunday. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I understand, Linda. I'm (half jokingly) contemplating setting up a sort of circuit exercise routine that includes crochet and knitting stations sprinkled between treadmill, rebounder, free weights, jump rope... And somehow I've got to get those stretches in.

      Delete
  6. Becki, we always have a right to put as much or as little of our lives out there as we want - to your point, some put too much out there and others put nothing out there but feel inclined to comment on everything. Your own comfort level and sense of personal space are what matters most.

    Blogging is a fine form or record keeping, and even we we do not remember to always go back, I remain confident that someone who will need the post will see it when they do. In that sense, we write for others, not ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, TB. In some ways, for my sensibilities, I feel I've put too much out there - and it's been kind of rambly and repetitive in recent posts. On the other hand, I didn't even touch on much of the earliest stuff - the diagnostic phase. I've thought about maybe writing a timeline post - again, mostly for my record. The benefit it might have to anyone else is mostly educational, I suppose - in the sense that until one goes through it, one typically has no clue what is involved in this particular diagnosis. Maybe it's just better, though, to learn as you go (like I did). Having less time to think about scary stuff isn't exactly a bad thing. I'm torn. I'm fighting the desire to make a more complete record, and the desire to put it behind me (as much as one can). Here's how I know it will work for me, though - If I don't figure it out soon, I'll decide it's too late, and there is my answer. :) And that's probably how I'll roll.

      Delete
  7. Prayers, Becki.
    And the photo is a little bit of surprise because it almost could have been the living room of the old farmhouse. The fireplace was similar brick. The old farmhouse had a mirror over the mantle. And a doorway to the right of it, with windows in the door very similar to yours. :)
    Be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, this house was in town, on a highway, in fact. It was built in 1923 so is 100 years old now. It's still there. We've seen pictures inside where it's been divided into at least three apartments. Kind of sad. It wasn't a fancy home, by any means, but it was a nice house with character. My parents improved upon what it was at the time.

      Delete
    2. Becki, that explains the similarity. The old farmhouse was built roughly 1885 or so. Almost all the measurements were French style. If memory doesn't fail me completely, the ceilings were 11 feet and some odd inches. Brother-in-law or hubby researched the odd measurements and it came down to the time built and most of the people then being French-Canadian. :)

      Delete
  8. Love you Aunt Becki. My Mom shared your blog with me a while back. She said you write very well and you do. Thank you for sharing bits of your journey with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww... Hi Angie! 🩷 I love you, too. Thank you for your encouragement!

      Delete
  9. I love the family photo! You're so cute! It sounds to me like you are totally on the right track in the thinking department. I'm 69 now, and getting older sure comes with its big doses of navigating the unknown. I have been blessed with a few forerunners older than I who have done the aging thing beautifully. It always helps to have good examples! Praying for you...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quoting you: "Living in the age of the internet and YouTube influencers is both a blessing and a burden.  Too many people think they are an expert on something that very few people truly are …" Yes, I agree.

    What a sweet picture of you with your two older sisters. I love your dresses. My mother dressed my sister and me alike before we became teens.

    Happy Thanksgiving. You’ve had a remarkable year. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. I continue to include you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The picture is lovely and certainly looks like my era. I am glad you have shared your journey with us as you can. I have always been a private person, but when you are going through something really hard it kind of strangely has made me want to talk. Getting Jeff's diagnosis has been so hard on me and yet if someone even asks me a question I tear up, so working out that will take time. I look forward to seeing you back on the blog. That is me saying that with no time at all :)

    ReplyDelete