Friday, March 8, 2024

Papercrafting supplies...

The  office finally got whipped into shape earlier this week.  Part of me wanted to wait to publish this post when I got the room more prettied up, but the bigger part of me needs to move on.  So I'm posting what's finished, and calling it day.  For now.

As I looked at the two places in this room I keep paper crafting supplies, it was quickly obvious to me that organization, per se, isn't my problem.  I guess I kind of knew that, but taking a picture helped me see more clearly what the problem was.


The worst problem was stuff piled up in a corner, in boxes next to the credenza above, just being an annoying eyesore. While I spent the last two years trying to ignore it, it stared me down every time I sat at the desk right across from it.


There was no pride in that corner. That bulletin board you see there came off the kitchen wall of the house we moved out of almost 2 1/2 years ago.  And it has sat in this corner ever since it got here, with all the same old stuff thumbtacked to it. 



The bookshelf above houses mainly art supplies, some scrapbooks and the three boxes on the bottom hold things like paper punches, stickers, and some embellishment odds and ends.  

Since I haven't used much of the craft supplies in this room in two years, I decided an inventory needed to happen.  I knew with doing an inventory, consolidation of like items would follow suit.

Before I started an inventory of stuff that would stay in this room, though, I decided I would remove everything from the office I didn't want to stay in here. Things that had either migrated into this room or were put here because it seemed as good a place as any at the time.  

Things like...

...files collected and created for settling my brother's estate after he passed three years ago.  I can't believe it's been that long...

... the old kitchen bulletin board with tired old stuff tacked to it.

...a couple of boxes of young children's science items (magnifying glasses, a bug collection container, a variety of magnets).  There was even a box of stuffed animals. 🤔

In other words, all the random stuff tucked into that embarrassing, neglected corner came out of the room. 

As I started removing these items from the office, I decided to make a rule that nothing in this room would be stored in an ugly cardboard box.  And ideally, I will also eventually whittle down the number of plastic storage containers in this space.

With everything removed that I didn't want to stay in the room, it was much easier to inventory what would be staying.  As the inventory happened, two somewhat opposite things occurred:

1)  As expected, I was able to consolidate like items and that helped me decide on some obvious things to let go of.

and

2) I realized I wasn't ready to part with as much as I first imagined.

But that isn't all bad.  Putting my hands on everything and deciding on what to get rid of and what to keep, I found I had a renewed interest in these items.  Of course, that is natural, and I might find the feeling is fleeting, but that's okay.  Sifting through one's stuff sometimes has to happen in layers.  Time has a way of making me clearer headed - usually.

And it doesn't mean I didn't part with anything.  These things are going:



In addition to a bunch of glossy photo paper we brought home from my mother-in-law's house, the above things are boxed up and waiting to be given to a young therapist in my life who sometimes incorporates art therapy in her work.  She also has an art studio and I'm pretty sure she'll make better use of these things than I am.  And if she doesn't, that's okay.  It's a relief that I've made the decision that these thing won't be my problem anymore. 

Another thing I did in this office was to tidy up all the cords that go with the computer, modem, router, and printers.  Greg and I are still pretty old school here, both of us preferring to type on a keyboard, and liking the larger size of a monitor to that of a laptop. While I'd love to be more cordless here, it doesn't appear that's happening any time soon.

Until recently, the mess of cords looked like this:


After studying some smart looking cord corralling products online, I decided none of them would work well for this situation, so I just bought some velcro zip ties, and with some command strip velcro pieces we already had, I got to work coiling cords, and tacked most of them up under the over-hanging area of the desk...



I don't exactly love it, but it's a considerable improvement.

As for the crafting supplies.  Things got consolidated, some drawers were relabeled, and I think I can now easily put my hand on anything it might occur to me to want to use.

While this room may not ever be what someone would call pretty, it's definitely more functional. I do think my paper craft supplies may get more use now, and perhaps more importantly, my mind is clearer when I'm in here.   

There are still a few boxes (that are not coming back into the office) that need sorting through - mostly they are files and pictures of my late brother's.  That sorting may not happen immediately, but it is my goal to take care of that task this year.  

I hope I've inspired you to also tackle some spot in your home that's been nagging at you for attention.  I find my mind is freer when it knows where things are, and when there is some "white space" in a room.  Empty corners and walls count as "white space" in my book.

Thanks for following along on this endeavor!












Dried tea bags waiting for an art project




16 comments:

  1. That's a huge amount of stuff! Is inventorying a first step to donating? The art therapist is a great person to give to, good for you for thinking of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, now here I was feeling like it wasn't nearly as massive as I imagined. I actually feel like it's much more respectable than I was thinking before I got it a bit more consolidated. Maybe you got that impression because I threw in the close-up pictures to end this post.

      Don't take my use of the word inventory in this case too literally, Liz. I didn't create a list of things, or any kind of record. I simply mean I either put my hands or eyes on everything. And, no, it's not necessary for donating. Inventorying is a double-edged sword. It helps one see where duplicates are, and what is completely unnecessary to keep, and/or what is no longer desired. But it can also spark the creativity juices. Since everything was pretty organized to begin with, this didn't take much time and it did spark the crafty juices flowing again. I originally hoped I'd be motivated to donate much more, but I feel really good about how this task ended.

      Having removed the stuff in this room that was actually emotionally weighing me down, I'm in a much better place in my mind to use this stuff more, or see more clearly in the near future what else to move out.

      Delete
    2. Didn't mean to make you feel bad, sorry. It's just that I'm so frugal, make what I need then use it, etc, that i have about five boxes containing all my supplies for everything! That's less than most people. But it doesn't fit everyone's need.

      Delete
    3. To me, that speaks to the artist that you are, Liz. I'm an artist-wannabe, so I collect stuff that I think will make me an artist - which, of course, it doesn't. Not to speak for you, but you ARE an artist and I picture you hanging onto things you can reimagine into other things - and then you actually do it. Unfortunately, my reimaginer gets stuck and stuff sometimes has long periods of not getting used. Hopefully, I've kickstarted something with this recent sort. :D

      Delete
  2. You've reminded me that I really need to undertake another 'Grande Shovel-Out' in my sewing space. There are so many things I haven't used and won't (until two weeks AFTER I've gotten rid of). I have to convince myself that anything I do get rid of can be replaced should the burning desire for it happen. I really want a different system for storing my landscape fabric stash because Rubbermaid bins just aren't cutting it. I always need the one that's on the bottom of the pile and it's getting too hard to lift them with a wonky back. I keep eyeing the pull-out couch that's in here which serves no earthly purpose beyond my friend sitting on it every couple of weeks while we have coffee. A chair would suffice, leaving room for some sort of storage unit for my fabrics. Good idea, in theory, however then I remember that when the couch was moved in here it meant removing two doors, one doorframe and a lot of cursing. We thought it would be a good idea for use when we had overnight guests - well that's only happened maybe three times in 13 years and even then the mattress gets pulled out and put on the floor because it's just too uncomfortable otherwise. Wish I had a magic wand....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain, Mary Anne. On a different note, for me... One of the reasons I want to get my yarn whittled down is because getting to what I need sometimes necessitates moving a number of plastic totes. Before finding out I have some osteoporosis in my spine that didn't faze me too much. It was mostly just annoying, but I could get over it and get to it. Now, that I better understand the kinds of upper body movement one does when moving and shifting these heavy totes around is risking spontaneous fractures, I see my wall of yarn totes (in the closet where they're stored) with completely different eyes.

      Delete
  3. You've made great strides, Becki. It's looking good, even if you aren't quite where you want it to be yet. I find photos really help me to 'see' with fresh eyes what I'm looking at everyday. It's so easy to get used to what's there that I don't really see it anymore. I'm downsizing and letting go of many things in my house these days. There is a lightness in my step... and in my soul. Wishing you continued motivation and renewed zeal to carry on with what's still on your 'to do' list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, so many times I only see the background when I'm snapping pictures or a video. It's kind of amazing how used to background clutter we can become. I'm with you on the downsizing. Even though I didn't weed out much of these paper crafting materials on this go around, as a whole I'm finding I enjoy a simpler, less stuffed home as we're getting older. Thank you for the good thoughts. :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, that is quite a bit of work you did. I love how you handled the cords on your desk. And now that you can use the space underneath for storage for the plastic bins. You also did a bang up job on going through all your paper supplies. Wow! I just can not believe the difference from the before to the after. How lucky you know someone who can use those art supplies that you no longer want in your home. They are blessed to know you. I started on my craftroom this past week and only got one of my storage areas cleaned before I got really sick with my virus that came to visit. I will get back to it this coming week. You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Marsha. The person I'm passing things along to is my son's girlfriend. She's essentially family, and it is nice to know she welcomes my cast offs (at least what I've offered so far). She is an artist, and along with counseling, her work is art So sorry you've been sick. Hope you're feeling all better soon!

      Delete
  5. It's looking so much better Becki, getting started and then sticking with it is my problem I get side tracked so easily, I really must make a start you put me to shame. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I did it in small snatches of time because I, too, get side tracked if I try to go too long on this kind of job. I don't have the stick-to-it-ivness to tackle many sorting and rearranging jobs in one go.

      Delete
  6. You have done very well! What a beautiful difference between the beginning and the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara. While the room was functional and we used it everydat, it feels so much better in here now.

      Delete
  7. That is quite an undertaking Becki and I am quite impressed, especially with the cords. I think you are onto something with the Velcro idea and I will try it. This is the kind of thing I am always doing in our basement (organizing, or making an attempt to organize), which is the primary storage area of our house and, consequently, the catch-all for all the junk we think we might need again someday but probably won't. Every so often I go down there and cull things. I'll make a stack for Goodwill and a stack to throw away. It's like painting the Golden Gade Bridge. By the time I am done, it is time to start over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. I understand, Bob. We've never had a basement to use as storage, but in a couple of houses we had a "doom room" - an extra bedroom that was mainly for storage that would repeatedly get out of hand. Somehow I was always able to bring some order to it if we wanted to use it for guests. We've also stored things in attics, but at this point, neither of us has any desire to climb a ladder to get to our stuff even though we have a pretty decent attic here - can fully stand up in it. Someone else will love using it some day, I'm sure.

      Delete