Friday, March 15, 2024

Spring...

The weather has been telling us it's spring for the last month, but the calendar assures me it doesn't actually arrive until next Tuesday, the 19th.  I seem to remember not that long ago spring would appear on the calendar weeks before the weather would concede to its arrival.  The last few years it seems just the opposite.  We feel the tease of coming spring weeks (this year, more than a month) before the calendar confirms it.

All sorts of plants have been growing for the last few weeks, but today I finally snapped some pictures.  When I started taking these pictures two years ago, I didn't realize what a nice record it would prove to be.  

For example, in this post on April 22nd, two years ago, I can see that today's asparagus patch is producing a whole month earlier.  Even with last year's early spring, we didn't eat asparagus until the middle of April.

On Monday of this week, there were just a few small spears:

By Friday, this had happened:

I didn't get a picture of the whole patch, just the spot where there were a number of spears growing.   Our nights are supposed to dip below 30 a couple of nights this weekend.  If that doesn't ruin these spears, I think we'll be eating asparagus come Monday!

In the same vein, my various plant pictures are probably more for my record than for your enjoyment, but humor me as I post what's growing here.

Irises

Daylilies

Clematis


Egyptian Walking Onions

I remember, the first spring we were here, I was going to dig up these walking onions and do away with them.  I am so glad I didn't.  They provide entertainment all summer long as they produce new bulbils on the top of their green stalks and then fall over and those bulbils eventually produce new plants.  We've given away a bunch of these plants the last two summers.  I think I'm going to be a little stingy and let these replenish this year.


Somehow, I missed until this spring that this is a forsythia bush.  
Forsythia blooms make my heart happy.


And these Daffodils bloomed on Wednesday.  
Yes, I was watching that closely.  

They're not pictured, but I noticed that the sedum was growing in February.  And this week, the Bradford Pears and I think a Maple tree are budding out.    

For weeks, we've been serenaded by birds from early morning to evening time. It's nice to be treated to green growing things now too.  While our winter has been nothing to complain about, and even when I don't quite feel ready for it to warm up, spring always feels like a gift.  


~~~~~


The blossoms have already appeared in the land;
The time has arrived for pruning the vines,
And the voice of the turtledove has been heard in our land.
~ Song of Solomon 2:12

12 comments:

  1. A lot of blessings there, Becki. :) Hope you are doing well.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Linda. And thank you, I am doing well.

      Delete
  2. Those first shoots of Asparagus are a thrill! Thank you for your visit to my blog, it is good to meet new friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, since moving here about 2 1/2 years ago, the asparagus patch has been the first excitement of spring. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. 🤗 Thank you for stopping by, too.

      Delete
  3. Yes signs of Spring are all around us, our weather has been very cold and extremely wet, I can't wait for the warmer weather. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to temps in the 50's here this upcoming week. Great weather for being outside.

      Delete
  4. Hello! Your spring is coming a bit faster than ours, but we are not far behind. We have noticed the lawn is growing and greening. I LOVE the robins' song, in fact-I get a little loopy over their song. I think it's gorgeous. Our asparagus is still hidden, but we hope for a good crop later on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, while it's been unseasonably warm almost all of February, our grass only turned a pretty green this week it seems. I think we're going to lose the asparagus spears over the next two nights of freezing weather. It didn't grow tall enough to harvest, so I'm just going to set my sights on enjoying it when more grows in a few weeks.

      Delete
  5. I always love recording the beginning of things coming to life too. It is always fun to look back. I think things have been a wee bit slower here but I think it has to do with the lack of sunlight we are getting. More rain and cloudy skies have been visiting this past week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to think everyone is experiencing the same unseasonably warm weather we are, Sandy. I know better just watching the weather on the evening news, but still it takes me by surprise - like seeing Denver (which is on the same latitudinal line as we are) get terrible snow last week when we were enjoying sunshine and temps in the 60's. Weather is a fascinating thing.

      Delete
  6. It seems like everything is at least a month early and I just hope that winter doesn't come back and do a number on the growing things. I especially worry about fruit trees because I know they can't cope with the cold. Now you have me craving asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Anne, I suspect we didn't have any fruit on our cherry and peach trees last year because of an unseasonably warm late winter, and probably experiencing some spring freezes. That, or we pruned them too severely. The cherry tree was budding this week, but I haven't seen any blossoms yet, so I'm hoping our freeze over the next night or two doesn't prevent it from fruiting.

      Delete