Sunday, December 6, 2015

Just crocheting along...

Busy, stressful week.  Not much crocheting.  But plugging along on the Arrowhead blanket and it's growing, albeit slowly.

It feels slower than normal because it is crocheted long-ways.  Crocheting along the length of a project always makes for the sense that it's taking longer because it seems like forever before you can turn around and come back the other way.  But even while I'm moaning a bit at how long it's taking, I know at any moment it's suddenly going to be wide enough and I'll be exclaiming, "Wow, I'm done already?!?"

And finally, needing a break from beige, and realizing now that it's turned chilly and I don't have a scarf that will go with my coat, I decided to start making one.  So with this pattern and some newly acquired yarn (Lion Brand Heartland in the color Joshua Tree), I set to work.

I know it looks awfully simple, and well....okay...it is!  No shame in that.  But the gal who created this has a surprise on the other side.  It's an asymmetrical design and I just love that aspect of it.  The originator of this design used bulky yarn (or double-stranded, I can't remember), but when I tried that I decided that I wasn't crazy about that much bulk.  For a cowl bulky is fine, but this is going to be a long scarf I'll likely want to tie up around my neck when it's really cold out.  I'm liking how this drapes and should be much more manageable for my purposes.  Hopefully I'll have a finished picture by next week.  (Clicking on the graphic below will take you to this week's YOP thread on Ravelry.)

http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/a-year-of-projects/3331500/1-25

A highlight last week was getting a visit from friends (fellow homeschoolers), who, along with their young children, have created a plan, worked their plan, and are finally in the active stage of living life on the road for a year or two.  It was so much fun...   hearing about how this has all come together, the things they are learning about in paring down their possessions, learning to live and travel in an RV, and to just enjoy their pure excitement and faith that God has His hand on this whole adventure - it was such a lift to my spirits.   We look forward to following their adventures at Vision of the Birds.  And taking more pictures a year or two from now to see how everyone has changed.


Our youngest son, Ben (age 20) is the tall one.


We love you and we pray you have awesome, amazing, God-filled adventures, Bird family!

 

8 comments:

  1. Your arrowhead is coming along so nicely, it will soon be done! Love the pics of the children, I'm off to read their blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your arrowhead..that is a lovely pattern. I am experiencing the same thing with my C to C blanket....I'm on the widest part of the diagonal right now and it takes forever to do one row but then I love a pattern that I don't have think about when I watch t.v. so I can't complain.
    What a great adventure for that family...they must have saved up or do they work from home? That will be wonderful and so educational for all of them. Safe journey!
    Oh, your scarf is a beauty. I love green but I can't wear it next to my face or I turn green! LOL! I can't wait to see it when it's done. It sounds like a really great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green isn't typically the first color I'm drawn to, but my jacket is a dark, muted purple. When in the store holding up different yarns to my coat, I thought this green in particular would make a fun scarf to wear with it my purple coat. We'll see!

      Delete
  3. Arrowhead blanket looks amazing! I've never seen this stitch before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was new to me, too, before beginning this blanket. It's actually a very simple stitch once it's understood, but it creates a very rich and thick fabric.

      Delete
  4. The arrowhead blanket is beautiful so far. I like the idea of mixing in another color project to give your brain a rest from the other. I get in trouble that way, starting too many projects and never finishing anything. I would love to see finished pics of both the blanket and the shawl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to not have too many WIPs hanging around. Having two or three to give breaks from larger projects works well for me. Much more than that and I become distracted and demotivated to finish anything.

      Delete