Sunday, September 3, 2017

A busy week...

I saw a window of opportunity and jumped on a house project this past week.  That, and otherwise trying to keep up with the stuff of life has caused me to not even give much thought to crochet - at least since mid-week.

Early in the week, though, I finished a child-sized scarf (no pattern referred to, it's just a simple linen stitch), and when I had quite a bit of yarn left over I searched high and low for a child's hat pattern that I liked and that fit the yarn I had left.  I tried a couple of different patterns, but they either turned out way too small or too large.  I was beginning to feel kind of frustrated.  But then, this afternoon I decided to give the Divine Hat a try.

So far I love the stitch pattern in this hat, and the resulting swirling ridges.  And it's working up so fast!  I didn't want to hold off posting this week, so I took an in-progress picture to share.   Laid out like it is I'm thinking it's kind of large, though.  Definitely larger than I thought it would be.


Another row or two and it will stop increasing in size, and I'll start the ribbing or whatever kind of edging I'm going to use.  But I just don't know about this.   The pattern is easy and works up fast enough that I will readily rip it out and make it a second time using smaller hooks, if I need to, but I'd really love to get this set finished.    Hopefully, next week I'll have a finish to show.

I do like the pattern, though, and I think I will make more of these.  I'm sort of on a quest to make some hats and scarves to donate this fall when the hat, scarves and mitten drives come around.  I'm hoping this hat is a success because a pretty hat produced from an easy pattern sounds like a winning combination to me!   :)

To see what other Yoppers are up to, visit our group on Ravelry.



13 comments:

  1. The scarf is really pretty but the hat...............that is fantastic. I hope it is not too large. Glad it is a super fast project. Hooray for crocheting that goes quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've redone the hat already and I think I've finally hit upon a size that will fit the size child the scarf will fit. I don't even know if these items will be given out together, but something inside me compels me to try to coordinate them.

      Delete
  2. I love the scarf! The hat is darling too and I hope it turns out like you want. It is a really cute pattern. What a great person you are thinking about the call for warm items in the coming months. You are a treasure or an angel or both! Hugs ~ Sam Happy Labor Day but don't labor too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just trying to combine my overflow of yarns with the knowledge that requests will soon come for these kinds of items. Two good things happening at once: destashing and helping someone else. :)

      Delete
  3. Your scarf and hat are so pretty together Becki and what a great idea getting them done now ready for the drives come Fall, I'm sure many will appreciate your forward planning. Have a great week! Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth. We'll see how many hats (and maybe scarves) I actually finish. Every year the call out for such items seems to take me by surprise (like we don't have winter every single year). Life is busy right now and I'm not sure how many items I'll actually make, but at least I'm giving myself longer than a week before items are given out this time.

      Delete
  4. The hat is really pretty, that pattern is very nice! What kind of project are you up to Becki? I wrote a long list of fall-cleaning that needs to get done. I'll just do a little every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My house project is a secret for now. If I manage to finish or make serious headway I'll be sure to share. I'm quirky, perhaps, but not "talking" too much about it helps me keep my motivation.

      Delete
    2. I think you're right. I was like that for a long time. Whenever I announced something, I NEVER got it done! Somehow though, my motivation shifted opposite. If I announce something now I'm more likely to finish it! :)

      Delete
  5. Hope your hat turns out to be the right size you need. Very pretty colour. I love the look of the linen stitch - did you make your scarf lengthwise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the scarf is crocheted length-wise using a simple linen stitch. I think I've learned my lesson. I need to make a hat first, and then find a scarf pattern that fits it (not the other way around). ;^)

      Delete
  6. You are most definitely a ten! Your hats are very cool looking. Ah....more secrets....I love it! Can't wait for your big reveal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear... I really don't mean to be building up any great expectations. Big reveal? don't count on it. Ours is an old-ish, modest house, and our DIY projects are nothing to show off, really. But I'll be happy to actually share a goal completed if I manage to do it. :) Okay... now let's stop talking about it! (chuckling)

      Delete