Friday, June 8, 2018

Out for a walk...

Monday was a gorgeous, cool day and I got back out to the wetland area again before the humidity took over the rest of the week.  I've gotten up to walking 3 miles in an hour, and while that is still kind of exhausting, it feels really good to accomplish.

I decided to take some more pictures and compare them to my first walk through the area.

After a month and a half of spring rains, and a few weeks of record heat, the transformation has been amazing:



~~~~~




~~~~~

And where two weeks ago I stood to take a picture of turtles sunbathing on a log in the pond:


I now can't even see the pond for the overgrowth of grass and weeds: 


I was so glad I took that walk as I was hit by vertigo later Monday night and I've dealt with it to some extent the rest of the week.  Bah!

But as I'm coming out of my pity party I'm reminded that when I was taking my walk on Monday I found myself singing The Lily of the Valley.  I don't know why it found a track to run in my head, but for the hour I walked, in between my panting and heavy breathing, I sang this sweet song.

I found it hard to find a soulful rendition of this particular song, but this version sung by Burl Ives took me back to my childhood where I first learned to sing beautiful old hymns in church.  

For your edification:  

  


While I love the words of this song, for some reason I can't separate the voice from the same one that sings The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze.  Another song I grew up on.  


For your entertainment:






9 comments:

  1. So sorry about the vertigo - that's definitely not pleasant. Thank you for the before and after scenery photos - amazing how much they transformed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to believe the before pictures were two months ago now. Time flies!

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a difference in your foliage. I miss all that lush greenery from the midwest where I grew up.

    Congrats on your increasing walking but boo to the vertigo. I hope it leaves you quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A week later and the vertigo seems to have resolved. Oh what a relief it is.

      Delete
  3. Of course you should feel proud that you walk 3 miles; walking is walking is walking. I find it so neat how you have some wetland in your area. Turtles are fun to look at. What an uplifting song; I like its vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and sorry you had to deal with vertigo. I'm sure it's frustrating for you to have to put some of life on hold because you need to recover. I hope you were entertained somehow. Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you mean well, Stef, but I'm sitting here trying not to laugh. All one can do when experiencing vertigo is to hang on. It's not nearly as fun as the Tilt-A-Whirl I remember riding at the county fair. I seem to be all better now. Thank you for your well wishes, friend.

      Delete
  5. And again, thank you so much for creating a WP account just so you can comment. I'm so sorry you've had to jump through this extra hoop just to be able to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I found a work-a-round by using an old e-mail address. Once I filled it in on your blog, it seems to be an automatic fill now. Easy peasy.

      Delete