Sunday, June 3, 2018

Round and round she goes...

A short and sweet post this week since I started a new project last night.  In the Our Happy CAL Place on Ravelry, we're hosting a Mandala CAL for the month of June.  If you're a crocheter and would like to join us in our June CAL, consider yourself invited.  Participants can choose any pattern they like.

I've been wanting for some time to make a mandala from this book I found earlier this year at my local library:


It's hard to pick just one to start with, but starting with one is necessary, so I choose the pattern Vintage Petals by Sandra Eng. 


I am not the least bit confident in the colors I chose, but for once I'm not going to overthink a project.  We'll see if I like it better after I add some more contrast in later rounds.  That mustard-y yellow is my highest contrast, so I think I decided I'm making flowers in an upcoming round with that color.  That is, if I don't change my mind.  😐

To see what other YOPpers are up to, visit our group on Ravelry.  Which reminds me -  let me give a plug...  If you have a blog and are interested in joining in on this Year Of Projects thing, we begin a new year on July 1st.  It's a lot of fun, you'll make new friends, and you'll likely find inspiration and motivation to create far more than you ever thought possible.  That's how it's worked for me, anyway!  Come check us out at least.





16 comments:

  1. I like the colors you chose. Once it gets bigger , you wont even notice . Its like my Sophia's Universe blanket, I hate the light pink but as I added more color, I barely notice the pink rounds. :)
    Heading to Our Happy Place :) I love mandalas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Erin. The Mandala Madness was like that for me. It was a mystery CAL and I'd cringe with some of the color combinations I came up with, but once I was finished and laid it out to take a picture, the colors that made me cringe didn't so much.

      Delete
  2. I find the colors of the mandala, quite refreshing. I think we all second guess our color choices. I know I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the queen of second-guessing. Everything. You'd think I'd have thought over everything enough by now that there's nothing more to think ABOUT!

      Delete
  3. I too think the colours are perfect - what a great start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucy. Hopefully my confidence will grow with more rounds.

      Delete
  4. I have yet to make a mandala but love how yours is coming into being. the book looks great...I should have mentioned that too...an invite for others. You are so thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I finish this mandala I'm going to try a simpler one. This one isn't terribly difficult, but I'm getting a little tired of learning new stitches. I thought mandala making was supposed to be relaxing. This one will hopefully be satisfying to finish, but I wouldn't call it relaxing.

      Delete
  5. oh I am soooooo tempted to join the mandela CAL.......can. I. resist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy. No pressure. Make any mandala you want. You don't even have to finish if you don't want to. The Our Happy CAL place is the least pressured place I know of (now we Mods sometimes feel a bit of pressure to try to get things right in the mod-department, but even moderating that group is a real pleasure).

      Delete
  6. Hi Becki! :) I don't do the YOP anymore, I just can't commit the time to my needle crafts! But you're right, I did meet some nice people (you for example!) and am inspired by your talent, that's for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Rain, you are so sweet. I loved that I've gotten to know you through YOPping and now have your inspiring blog to visit even if you don't YOP anymore. I've held out hope that you might start YOPing again, but it's good to know it's been an intentional decision on your part. Thank you for stopping by when you do, and I'll continue to see you in the garden! ;^)

      Delete
  7. I love mandalas - I think a lot of it comes from liking all the wonderful colour combinations that I see. Looking forward to seeing what you do with yours!

    ReplyDelete