Sunday, July 28, 2019

A wee bit of cross stitch...

Aside from continuing to work on my Christmas afghan, any crafty time I had this past week was spent on two cross stitch patterns.

First, a small Christmas project made even smaller - because I can't seem to leave well enough alone and simply follow directions.   

A few weeks ago I complained that I had trouble seeing when working with 28-count fabric.  Well, I quickly placed an order for some 18-count fabric, but when putting together that order I was drawn to some pretty 25-count pewter-colored Lugana.   The price was right and I figured it was worth a try since it was slightly larger than the troublesome 28-count stuff I had been frustrated with earlier in the month.

I was surprised at how much easier the 25-count Lugana was for me to see.  In fact, it was so much easier on my eyes, instead of making stitches over two threads (as the pattern suggested), I decided to make my stitches over one thread.  

Mmm-hmm...  

That shrunk the design to half the size of the original.   While you can't tell from the picture, this little design is only 1.5 inches across - from corner to corner.
The lantern itself is only 3/4 of an inch across.  

It needs some snow added to it, but before I go to that extra bit of effort, I need to figure out what to do with this.  It's so small!  I'm open to suggestions (either for incorporating it into something larger, or is there a use for something this tiny?)  One and half inches across at the points.  That's it!  FWIW, on my screen it appears twice as large as it actually is.  

I don't know what I was thinking...


~~~~~

Next up is a fun little project.  Nice and easy to see on 14-count pink Aida.  I know this doesn't make for a very interesting picture at the moment, but rather than show or tell you what it's going to be I thought it might be fun to just post a progress picture of this each week as the design unfolds.  And imagine the confused expressions on my readers' faces.

Clearly, I'm easily humored - as I'd greatly enjoy reading your guesses as to what this is going to be.  

There are no prizes.  Other than the intense satisfaction that will undoubtedly be experienced by anyone who guesses correctly.  

Guess early and often.  It will (probably) be obvious soon enough.  😉  

Or not!  😄







20 comments:

  1. Looks like a skyline of some metropolis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....25 count is still small. I chuckled when I read you did the pattern over 1 stitch. I knew it would be mini sized lol. As for the new cross stitch.....looks like a huge tree sitting in a graveyard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hoped someone would laugh along with me. I'm sure I knew going into it, the finished design would be half the size of the original, but "seeing is believing", as they say. Even looking at a ruler and seeing what 1 1/2 inches looks like, it doesn't seem that small. But in a cross stitch design - I hoped would make an ornament??? It's teeny.

      Delete
  3. The lamp looks great, you could leave a little space and add a border onto it and make it a little bigger. How about backing it wil fabric or mounting it onto some thin card and making it into an ornament for your tree. It's probably a great size for an ornament as it is. The 25 count looks like an evenweave linen which helps with seeing the holes from what I remember of your 32ct that wasn't an evenweave.
    Ohhh what fun for a guess project...I'm going to guess a cat and I can't wait to see progress and see how far wrong I am lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth! Your comments made me go double check the fabric I had used before. It wasn't 32-count, but actually 28-count (I've corrected it above). The label calls it an evenweave, but it also calls it linen. Something I failed to consider, too, is that I had overdyed it - which changed its structure (made it much more limp and possibly messed a bit with the evenness of the weave). It didn't occur to me until reading your comment above that the Lugana being much more smooth than the linen is likely what made it easier for me to see. Now I think I understand better why some people don't care to cross stitch on linen. And I don't think what I used was as hard as some linens might be to stitch on -- I didn't have slubs or any serious irregularities in the fabric I cross stitched with previously. It's just less smooth than Aida or Lugana. Thanks, too, for the suggestions for the small cross stitch project. You are getting my creative gears moving!

      Delete
  4. I have no suggestions for you, but I'm glad you found cloth that worked for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it's gorgeous, too. I need to find some other uses for this fabric. :)

      Delete
  5. I love it, and I love Ruth's suggestion to turn it into an ornament. I think your second one is a lighthouse, or a windmill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention above that this was originally meant to be an ornament. But a little 1.5 inch (or even 2 inch) ornament is smaller than I think I want. I do like Ruth's ideas. They got my wheels to turning, and I think something will present itself soon. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm thinking an ornament too. Perhaps a narrow border of fabric around the edge to frame the cross stitch and then backed with matching fabric. As for a guess - perhaps something Halloween-ish....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding the guesses on my cross stitch very interesting. Halloween-ish seems like something of obvious choice. And a good one. But alas... no. (giggling) Another try next week! ;^)

      Delete
  7. ohhhh a guessing game! a boat in the middle of water? a train with a thick terrain? you will have to do more and show us! :) one thing to figure out at a time, from what type of thread and what to work on! :) Hope you had a peaceful Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like those guesses, Elizabeth. I hope you have a good week, friend.

      Delete
  8. I can't imagine what that cross stitch is but can't wait to see the progress!!! You lantern one is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry I missed this post. Bloglovin was acting weird last week I think and even yesterday, it would list new posts but I had already read them or nothing would show up.
    That cross stitch looks amazing! I love those long stitches; they remind me of pine tree needles.
    As for Craft Night, my two neighbors have been doing this for who knows how long. When I moved into the court they invited me to participate. This year we added the neighbor I carpool with and two other neighbors drop in.
    So basically, each of us (out of the four) takes turn hosting once a month. You, the host, can invite whomever you want. And usually the host provides a snack or two. I've made cheesecake as you know; I've also put a charcuterie board since cheese is funner to share with a group and I think I've made spinach dip too. You can work on whatever craft project you want; there is no theme for the night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that, Stef! Your craft night sounds like so much fun. And that you each work on your own thing makes it all seem so easy.

      Delete
  10. I wonder about making a diamond shaped opening in a blank card and placing your lantern cross stitch under it (so it would show through) for a special Christmas card for giving or displaying?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT is a great idea! Thank you for sharing it!

      Delete