Sunday, July 14, 2019

A little bit of Christmas in July...

I finally decided that this was the week I'd work on some "Christmas in July" cross stitch project(s).  

A couple of months ago I showed here a bunch of vintage cross stitch magazines that had come my way.  Well, this week I stitched up this little pattern from Just CrossStitch Magazine, November-December 1988:


The finished design is only 2 1/2 inches tall by 2 inches wide (measuring the red border).  I worked this on 28 count Charles Craft Linen Evenweave.  Even stitching over two threads, this was pretty small work for me.  I'm thinking I may need to get me a magnifying glass or else resign myself to working on 18 count or lower-count cross stitch fabric. We'll see.  I'm open to suggestions of things to consider when looking for magnifiers.

The plan is to stitch a few more designs and then sew them up into ornaments.  Hopefully, before Christmas.  😉

~~~~~
Well, yesterday truly begins the countdown to husband's retirement.  Along with another man who's retiring, hubs enjoyed a great party at Fort Harrison State Park (on the north side of Indy).  Family and friends and co-workers came.  He was given some nice gifts, and generous words of praise.  What was really special is that the man who first hired hubs was able to attend - along with several previous (and now retired) bosses, as well as his current boss, of course.  It was a good day.  Now he goes to work for two more weeks until his official retirement!  He's been having a fun last few months, enjoying and marking bunches of "lasts".
~~~~~

And that's a wrap for this week!



19 comments:

  1. What a cute cross stitch. But 28 count?!!! Ouch, that is tough. Even with a magnifier it would be hard to work with. I think 18 is a good choice and then you don't have to use 2 squares per stitch. I bet your hubby is really excited about his last 2 weeks of work. That is great he is going to be retired. Does he have any hobbies to help occupy his new found free time? Maybe you could teach him to Xstitch or crochet LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No real hobbies (yet). I think he's going to be focussing on getting our house ready to sell. That's a great thing for him to have to focus on, but it won't be without stresses. I've been downsizing/dejunking for the last four years. He plans on just getting it done already. I'm a process downsizer, he's all about the end product. ;^)

      Delete
  2. When my husband retired he took on the grocery shopping and cooking!!! Double win for me for sure. Christmas in July is wonderful and as soon as my arm allows me I am going to get cracking on those advent knits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will definitely be interesting to see how the division of labor changes. He's a better house keeper than me, and I'm a better cook, so I think I'd be happy for him to keep the bathrooms clean and let me do the grocery shopping. lol

      Delete
  3. I love that cross stitch, and reminds me that I must start thinking about Christmas crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I panic at the idea of my husband retiring as he doesn’t have any hobbies except football once a week. I have 20 years before he will retire I’d be in full melt down if it was only 2 weeks away 😂. Anyhoo, I’d be tempted to go with the 18 count than strain your eyes to see smaller....although saying that it does look lovely on that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz. I'm thinking similarly. I'm already eyeing some nice colors in 18 count fabric. ;^)

      Delete
  5. I'm excited to see it finished......and I can't wait to retire....congratulations to your husband..

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea to get your Christmas stitching started early. I have a good number of cross stitch projects lined up along with others. That first one is very cute but I agree the charts and fabric seem to be smaller than I remember..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first cross stitched in the 1980's I don't even remember knowing about 28 ct, 32 ct, and yikes - 40 ct fabric. Obviously, it existed (28 ct is called for in the magazine I took this pattern from), but I was blissfully unaware. Now I want to do fine (small) stitching and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to manage much of it.

      Delete
  7. I'm going to see if I have that issue...I have so many! It is so cute! You did such a nice job on it. Glad your husband is enjoying his lead up to the big transition....how are you doing? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good! lol Ask me a month from now. ;^)

      Delete
  8. I love how the cross stitch turned out Becki. I'd definitely look into 18 count, nothing worse than straining your eyes. As for magnifiers, pop along to the craft shop and check out the different kind as I know you can get free standing one and clip on ones so it might very well come down to what you like to use.
    Best of luck to your husband on his retirement, it's a big change both for him and you both.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a sweet little cross stitch! I am hoping to start a small Christmas project this weekend as well as a birthday piece for my Granddaughter.
    My husband has 5 more years to retirement and he is already counting the days. I am six years younger so I will have to work longer... boo! :(

    Have a beautiful week!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet little cross stitch - perfect for ornaments. Now you've reminded me and I'm going to have to get busy thinking about what my ornie series will be this year. I *only* make about 20 every year - some are used for wee gifts and others are used in place of a bow on another package.
    Sounds like your DH is enjoying being feted - the two weeks will pass really fast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hubby must be excited about the retirement date! :)
    That cross-stitch is really cute! I can't even think of Christmas these days, I don't want to think of snow, cold weather, shoveling...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Christmas cross stitch patterns always look up.

    ReplyDelete