Sunday, July 21, 2019

Stitch faster...

While waiting for some easier-to-see cross stitch fabric to arrive, I've been working on my Christmas Dazzle blanket.  It's maybe a third finished at this point.



It's an easy, fairly monotonous stitch pattern with lots of ends to weave in (again). It's looking good, but it's not exactly an exciting project.   ðŸ˜‰


~~~~~


In addition to my slow-going afghan, I decided to make a quick little headband this weekend:



And that's it for yarny time this week.


~~~~~

I had an eye exam this past week.  I knew I'd been having trouble seeing with my current glasses for some time (possibly going on a year) and I was sure I needed a stronger prescription.  Well, imagine my surprise when I was told that my glasses prescription was too strong!?!   At home, I pulled out an older pair of glasses and gave them a try again, and lo and behold...  I could see better through them.  Who knew?!?    

But my new prescription is for lenses weaker than even those old glasses, so I put in the order for some new spectacles.  Glasses with progressive lenses are ridiculously expensive.  Hopefully, these will last a while.  I've been wearing my current pair for about 4 years, so maybe I'll get some good mileage out of the new glasses too. 

I was also told I'm developing cataracts. 😒 (That's my "I'm not amused" face.)   I understand cataracts are fairly common, and I'm at an age where I guess their evidence starts appearing, but it was a tad disappointing all the same.   

I'm not exactly worried about it (thanks to modern medicine and surgeries), but I do wonder what the process of dimming eyesight feels like.  Does one recognize that their eyesight is dimming?  Does "dimming" even describe what happens?  I understand (from others) that colors and lights may begin to dull.  Will I find close-up work harder and harder to do, and how long will I struggle with this before I'm eligible for surgery?

Not knowing what that feels like, and not knowing how fast or slow the process for me will be, for the time being it makes me want to get in as much cross stitch as I can.  Hopefully, my new cross stitch fabric will arrive soon.  

Stitch faster! may become my new motto.





To see some other YOPpers' Year of Projects posts, check out the blog links in my side bar.

13 comments:

  1. Do you work with your blanket on a table so it is not suffocating your lap? I am thinking of doing that with the one I am knitting. Cute headband.

    As for cataracts.....they can ripen at anytime. If you vision insurance I would suggest getting an exam yearly to monitor them. You will notice a change at night especially when driving. There will be halos around lights. Most people take years for their cataracts to mature enough for surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do get yearly eye exams, and for now I have good insurance. I'm five years younger than DH (who qualifies for medicare the day his work insurance ends), so I will be needing to purchase insurance for the next 5 years until I hit the magic age of 65. Getting this news now is good in that it prompts me to consider what types of coverage to look for when I will eventually need to pick out something different than I can currently afford under COBRA. Growing old is complicated, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. It may not be exciting but the Christmas blanket is gorgeous! My mum has cataracts, I'll be honest I have never asked her what it looks like to have them - I think I will now. She is having surgery this autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy. I know... Before hearing that I had them, I confess I've not been overly curious about what the process is like as cataracts develop into the stage where surgery is warranted. I Have a mixture of morbid fascination and slight apprehension as I contemplate experiencing it now.

      Delete
  3. I love the Christmas blanket, is that a shell type of stitch you are working it in? Either way it's very pretty even if your not finding it overly exciting. Hope your stitching fabric has arrived by now Becki and that you are happily stitching away.
    Sorry to hear about the cataracts and hope you can find answers for some of your questions which in turn will help smooth the path of the future with them and any possible surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it is a shell. The colored shells are formed differently than the white shells are formed, but I think they're all shells, basically. It's a great mindless project at this point. I should go check my mail! I think it's been delivered. Tracking did say it ought to arrive today!

      Delete
  4. I've never given any thought to what having cataracts would be like - or how you would know if they were 'ripe'. I keep expecting to be given the verdict every time I go for a check up but so far so good. Your blankie is coming along nicely (too bad you couldn't work your ends in as you go along).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At 65, my husband doesn't have any signs of cataracts, either. I'm trusting that the doctor will keep an eye on it all and she said she'd let me know (or I would know) when the time was right. Re: ends on the blanket... About every 10 rows or so I stop and weave in ends. I'd do it sooner, but it's really easy to work up 10 rows before I realize it - and suddenly there are 20 ends to weave in! I'm all caught up on the ends as of today. :)

      Delete
  5. Dimming definitely describes it. Night driving became impossible and at home it was like being in a room with a 15watt bulb. I had cataract surgery in 2011. It was fantastic. I had them give me multi-focal lense so no more expensive eye-glasses for me. I only need them now for very close knit work with dark coloured yarn, or a little boost for distance if it is not sunny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your experience, Mary-Anne. You make a very good argument for the multi-focal lenses. Even if insurance doesn't cover that (which I've read that some don't), the expense of a couple pair of progressives probably would. It will be interesting to see what the options are when/if I reach that point.

      Delete
  6. Cute headband, what a great idea. I like your Christmas blanket colours. My grandad had cataract operation in his late 80s and all went well and I’m sure if you need it yours will too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I expect that the actually surgery will only continue to improve. Except for making me squirm a tad to think of it, I'm not worried about it. I'm just immensely curious about how one's vision changes as the cataract grows. Depending on how quickly mine grow (and how long I'm around) I guess I'll find out at some point. ;)

      Delete
  7. Your Christmas blanket is awesome. Sorry your eye appointment has bittersweet news.

    ReplyDelete