Sunday, March 15, 2020

My new stitching frame...

Except for some (let's call it stress knitting) dishcloths, I didn't get much crafting done this past week.

I DID finally receive the lap/table stand I ordered for holding my cross stitching.  Editing this paragraph to say I heard back from the makers of this stand and what I bought is definitely legit.  It doesn't bear their logo because the logo stamp has worn out.  Hopefully, they'll rectify that soon, but I'm so relieved!!! 
  
After doing some research and studying frames online, I chose to get a K's Creations Z-Frame needlework stand:



I love all the pivot points on this thing which allow me to bring my work higher or lower, and allows me to tilt or lay a piece flat to stitch on.

While it does balance on my lap, so far I've only really worked with it at my desk:



I'm able to bring the frame close to me and adjust it so I can work easily looking through my progressives, or without my glasses - which is usually the most comfortable for me:


No bending my neck to look down, or rounding my shoulders forward.  Oh, what a relief it is.

And last summer I found this great goose-neck table lamp at a garage sale, and now I've found the perfect use for it:  


I put a daylight bulb in it for maximum brightness, and I can aim the light right at my project and see everything very clearly.

I'm happy to say I can recommend K's Creations Z-Frame stitching stand, and the Etsy Seller, Stitching Vine.  All's well in my crafty space!





While I'm glad the messaging on COVID-19 finally got on the track this past week of slowing the virus down in the U.S., I do wonder if it's been in time to make a difference.  We'll know soon enough, I suppose.  

Church services were called off for the next two weeks, and while I was relieved to hear it, I'm also saddened by it.  Our pastor recorded a talk to us as he sat in in his office and has set up a forum for us to interact with each other.  I'm looking forward to seeing how that helps us stay connected over the coming weeks.  

Other activities have been cancelled, and because hospitals are putting off elective surgeries, Hubs got a call this week putting off a consultation for knee surgery to repair a torn meniscus.  He'll have to limp around a little longer it appears...  If we can manage to stay well, a bit of hobbling will (hopefully) be a small price to pay.  

In this uncertain time we're in, I hope and pray that you stay well and healthy - wherever you are in the world.  😷


14 comments:

  1. I like your frame and your stitching set up and that little birdie is coming along. I finished up my two short projects and am now back to work on my blue jays. I made a good bit of project yesterday on her. She is going to be so pretty. Lots of color changes with these patterns but they are so pretty.
    I have a hubby who has struggled with those knees. He has a Baker's cyst right now flaring up. I do hope all of this settles soon and we can get back to things. IT has all been a bit unnerving. I pray it goes away quickly and brings out the best in people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh... I'm sorry to hear about your husband's knees, too. I need to catch up on your stitching, Sandy! I was without internet service for some of last week. Being able to connect online may be the thing that helps us cope best during all the cancellations we're going to experience in upcoming weeks.

      Delete
  2. Love the look of your frame. I love tools.
    Yes, best to put off anything elective - saves the hospital bed for someone who needs is more AND protects your husband from being exposed to any 'bugs'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. As disappointing (and painful for hubs) as putting this surgery off is, it's good to know that the hospitals here are being proactive in preparing for the virus to start taking its toll on the system. That was the most worrisome thing to me to contemplate as I waited until mid-last week for the messaging on this virus to get more serious here.

      Delete
  3. Becki, What a lovely frame you received. But what caught my eye was that basket full of yummy cotton yarn! All those pretty colors just begging to be made into something wonderful for the kitchen or bath. I am sorry to hear your hubby is going to be limping around for a while longer. This virus is causing quite a bit of trouble for everyone. I am praying for an end to this nightmare. So far, our church has not stopped services. I will say, there was less people attending this weekend. It was mostly the older folks that were missing. So far there are 18 confirmed cases in our state. (as of Monday morning) So far, all are recovering at home. The financial impact of this is going to be ugly. So many people are out of work due to closures. I guess, being retired has it privilege in that area. We are able to isolate and still receive a paycheck! Stay well my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marsha, those cotton balls are what I pulled out for knitting up dishcloths during March. Every month I pull out a new selection of colors and change up the yarn in that wire basket. This month I'm using mostly pastels. I did it with Easter in mind, but I'm finding these soft colors very soothing to use during such a strange and anxious-prone month. Stay well!

      Delete
  4. Your stitch stand is gorgeous and I am glad it is legit. I can't imagine the close work you do - I don't think my eyes could handle it, but I am glad it is so beautifully set up for you. Yay for stress relieving dish cloths. Myself, I seem to be relieving my stress by knitting toys. Wait till you see the elephant I finished today!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah! It IS an elephant! Can't wait to see it, Mary-Anne. :)

      Delete
  5. Glad you are craftily occupied. We are holed up here at home; the husband finally joined us today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I'm sure having kids holed up presents issues we don't have, I can't help but imagine it's a lot more fun with more of you in the house. :) Take care, Stef!

      Delete
  6. How did I miss your post? Your frame looks wonderful and so glad it is working out for you. I love your bird you are stitching. I love birds period but that one is a beauty. Sorry about your hubbies knees and glad you safe and healthy! I have been self quaranteened for years now...I should write a book! LOL!
    I too like to knit some dishcloths for a palate cleanser in between projects and sometimes just for some mindless knitting or crocheting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are inspiration on how one can be productive during a period like this. I thought I'd find a "forced" quarantine or isolation to be motivating to spend hours knitting, crocheting or cross stitching, but I'm not finding that to be the case for me. :^/

      Delete
  7. That looks like the Rolls Royce of frames! Trying not be be covetous. (glad that it turned out to be a legitimate version too...good news there). I've always been a huge lover of wooden tools. So sorry that your DH will have to postpone his surgery but it's for the best I know. Resident Chef had that same surgery several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It came down (for me) to a choice between this one and Artisan Designs' Elan lap frame. The Elan is a beautiful piece of art. But after studying them both, I concluded that all the pivot points on this one would work better for me, and it was half the price of the Elan. I'm seriously happy with this choice.

      Delete