Thursday, January 25, 2024

A writing and learning opportunity...

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of meeting with my friend, Dory, and learning about an 8-week long online writing class she is hosting, starting this coming Monday (January 29, 2024)!  The first meeting is an orientation, so there are actually 9 meetings in total.

The workshop is "Writing as a Release".   From the website:  

"You don’t have to live in fear. You don’t have to walk in guilt. Educator, author, and coach Dory Oda shows you how she learned to let go of pain, guilt, and shame through writing. This interactive course will be presented live online via Google Meet."

If you're interested in checking it out, scroll to the bottom of the link above and you'll see a description of each of the eight class offerings.  The classes meet online every Monday night from January 29th to March 25th from 6:30 - 7:45 pm.  Clicking on the Register button will give you an e-mail address to connect directly to Dory for further inquiries if you'd like to contact her.

Worthy of mentioning, I think:  

Dory is a gifted writer in all respects, but I have especially admired Dory's fictional writing and her ability to put thoughts and feelings common to us all into beautifully satisfying phrases and poetry.  I am not a fictional writer, nor a writer (nor especially a lover) of poetry - all of which Dory is.  When I expressed interest in the classes, but reminded Dory I do not aspire to fictional writing, she assured me that the writing done in this course does not have to be in the form of fiction, though it certainly can be.

Also, while Dory is a Christian, and her writing is often influenced by her faith, this course is open to all.  While I imagine it's possible that different faith beliefs could be expressed by the participants, Dory did tell me the course material is not a "Christian" or faith-based course. 

Anyway, none of this is meant to prod or even necessarily encourage my readers to participate in the first-ever offering of this class.  My purpose here is to simply share an opportunity.  Since most of my readers are bloggers, and bloggers are generally writers, and I know how gifted is the teacher, how could I not share?  In fact, I asked Dory if I could share about it here, 'twas not the other way around.

I hope you're having a good week wherever you are.  It is foggy, wet and gray here, but it's also over 50 degrees!  In January, in central Indiana, that is a rare treat.  

A good rest of the week to you all!



10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good class Becki!

    In my own writing, I have been surprised at how much bubbles to the surface when I try to write. The first challenge for me is always dealing with whatever I am writing about brings up before I actually start writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate, TB. I have a lot of "draft posts" that began as one thing, but as thoughts flowed forth, I realized I had more than one post worth of things to write about, or material that seemed worthy of its own separate post. Unfortunately, once saved as drafts, I forget about them - until they go neglected to the point of being outdated. Hmmm... I should make going through all of those drafts a goal - either turn them into posts or delete them.

      Delete
  2. I hope you have an enjoyable time, Becki. Thanks for mentioning it.
    It is wet here after two days of rain. A little time off and then rain this weekend.
    And Praise God, temperatures above freezing in Louisiana. :)
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Louisiana. I imagine freezing temps that far south are a rarity? I'm glad you're warming up, Linda!

      Delete
    2. Used to be about once every 4 years or so. But yes, Nice to be warming up. :)

      Delete
  3. The writing course sounds good. I won't be able to participate but hearing about it is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I'm inspired to write some meaningful stuff down. :)

      Delete
  4. I think you're already a gifted writer, if your blog is any indication. The course does sound like fun though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that 's really nice of you, Mary Anne. :) The writing in the course is not likely the kind that I do here, but it will be fun to explore, I think.

      Delete
  5. You're an excellent writer. I've enjoyed seeing your artistic way of life and honesty! I wish we could meet in real and talk homeschool stuff.

    ReplyDelete