Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Minimalism Challenge 2024 - Craft Edition, Day 2 ...

I'm already breaking my rules.  It turns out I had way too much to do over the weekend (until now) to do much sorting through craft stuff and getting rid of things.  But I did come across something with a bit of a story and I decided it's worthy of a post.  

For Day 2, I got rid of these two very sorry looking potholders:


And here is the story (in a roundabout sort of way):

On Sunday, we celebrated our firstborn's 35th birthday (as well as my 65th, and Greg's 70th - we have three April birthdays in the family). Me thinking of my oldest being 35, it just now occurs to me how old these tattered potholders are. They are made from tracings of our now 35 year-old son's 20 month-old hands.  I think that makes these vintage!

Way back in 1992 it must have been, I had the great idea to make some Christmas gifts using our first-born's handprints.  The grandmothers got sweatshirts with his handprints on them, and some cute saying - at least I thought it cute at the time - though I can't remember what the saying was.  And all the adults in the family got potholders that looked something like the above.

That's not quite true.  Actually, they looked like the potholder below:

The above pristine potholder (with a photo button of 20 month-old eldest son) was found amongst my mother-in-law's things when we were cleaning out her house after her passing in 2020.

While it strikes me kind of funny now that I thought everyone would want a potholder with our son's handprints on it back then, it was very sweet to come upon the above potholder and realize that my mother-in-law never used hers.  It was tucked away with the photo pin attached to it.  

And, with this brand-new-looking potholder in my possession now since 2020, what do you think I have done with it for the past 3 3/4 years?  I've tucked it away.   I'm not sure what I'm saving it for, but I'm not about to use it.  I think I will put it in oldest son's memorabilia box where he'll see it one day and probably at least "awww" over it before wondering what he should do with it.

So what does this have to do with the whittling down of my craft supplies?  

It's like this... 

I am going through every single box/container/bag/what-have-you, that is in the room where most of my craft stuff is stored.  It's the best way to take an informal inventory, and the best way to find things I no longer want and can rehome.

In this going through every container, I came across a box that holds crocheted potholders that I started crocheting for posterity some years back.  Don't ask why I am (or was) crocheting potholders for posterity.  It sounded fun at the time.  Truth be told, "for the fun of it" is the only reason I crochet anything.

Anyway...  I decided to take two of these cute chicken potholders out the potholders for posterity box that was in the closet of the room where most of my craft stuff is stored.


... and replace the tattered handprint potholders that have been in my kitchen for the past nearly 33 years.  

Two things came out of the room where my my craft stuff is stored, but perhaps more importantly, two very old potholders are leaving the premises.  

I still have one mildly tattered 33 year-old handprint potholder in the kitchen, but I will deal with that another day.  Or not.  It still has some use left in it, so maybe it will be found among the kitchen things when I'm gone...  


Minimalism Challenge 2024 - Craft Edition 
Tally:   3 things gone.


24 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Becki! Every little bit helps. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby steps at the beginning, Linda.
      The challenge starts slow and small, but soon speeds up and grows! That's the idea anyway. ☺️

      Delete
  2. Well, the hand pot holders, there was a good idea behind them... but it should be borne in mind that hardly any of the recipients use the pot holders, just as I would never light a cat candle - "oh look how pretty -the Cat is on fire!!!"
    I would hang the pot holders in the kitchen as decoration :-))
    Good luck in continuing to search through the former treasures... and yes, it's hard to part with this and everyone.
    A hug for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Viola, I am touched that my MIL saved the potholder (and I have no idea where that photo pin came from, but that she attached it to the potholder was special). I hope the other adults used their potholders or freed themselves of them years ago.

      I remember having a novelty candle decades ago - maybe as a teenager. For years I thought it too precious to burn. At some point I got practical about it and lit that thing. It was a very satisfying ending to a perfectly useless item. 😆

      Delete
  3. It's going to be slow going, all these family stories happening as you sort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait till I get into the double digit days, Liz. 😄 I didn't imagine that digging through craft supplies would spark such reminiscing.

      Delete
  4. How fun! An exchange of pot holders! I made dish towels with embroidered hand prints on them, back in the day, so I get it. As mentioned, I am also decluttering craft supplies. Today I hope to go through the last of the paints and toss those that are dried up. That should result in at least a dozen items leaving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I didn't think of making handprint dish towels! 😃Good job on your decluttering, Mrs T.

      Delete
  5. I would not have used those precious pot holders either. A true keepsake memory of a grandchild. They would have been hung them where I could see them daily. The chicken pot holders are cute and would make awesome trivets for hot dishes. Making for the fun of it is why most of us crafters do it. Not to mention, we will be prepared incase of the zombie apocalypse lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, you're right - the chicken potholders are more suited to trivets. Once upon a time I made several sets, and I think I gave one set away as a gift. I look forward to actually using these that I pulled out.

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love everything about this post, my friend. And Happy Birthday to you all! The potholders are precious, and tell a story of that special time in your lives. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this inspiration. My crafting supplies are out of control. Nice to also find another homeschool family. Our kids are grown also, but I cherish the memories of what the Lord allowed us to do and accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. It sounds like we have some things in common!

      Delete
  8. I agree, I wouldn't have used the potholders. I would have stored them away. To this day, I haven't used the photo mug sent to me. It sits on my desk where I can see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May, I have a photo mug a friend made of a group of friends. I use mine as a crochet hook holder. I do love it.

      Delete
  9. Happy birthdays all round. I know so many people with April birthdays, its funny how that happens. I am not doing terribly well at getting rid of anything yet but hopefully I'll get there. Liz (highlandheffalump)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be looking for that blog post of your new craft room furniture/storage, Liz. :)

      Delete
  10. You've managed to extend the life of those potholder way beyond their life expectancy! RC goes through them in less than a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Anne, I don't tend to grab flat ones like these when working in the kitchen, though apparently I've managed to grab them a few times in the last three decades. 😆 I prefer oven mitts, normally. And I go through those quicker, but probably less quick than RC. 😊 oven mitts will usually last here a few years before developing holes.

      Delete
  11. ps - I forgot to wish you a very happy Birth Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Mary Anne. It was a good birthday week.

      Delete
  12. "3 things gone." You make me smile. I've been there, so no criticism intended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No criticism reveived, Barbara. Unfortunately, I've been here before too. 🤦‍♀️

      Delete