Friday, April 12, 2024

Taming the craft monster, Day 1...

Being nearly the middle of April, and having made little progress on taming the room I keep the majority of my craft supplies in, I've decided to challenge myself with another 30-day Minimalism Game - only this time, I've decided to focus only on craft items, as opposed to the whole house being fair game.  And since I tamed my paper craft supplies a month or so ago, I'm going to mainly focus on textile craft supplies this time:  yarn, fabric, books and anything else related to textile crafts, and anything currently stored in the room where these things reside.  So maybe some non-crafty things will make their way into this challenge, too.

It's hard to believe it's been a few years since I've done a minimalism challenge with our whole house.  I've done it twice, in fact.  While it feels a little scary to limit myself to craft supplies, I have reminded myself for all self-imposed challenges, I get to make (and even break) the rules.  It's reassuring to remind myself that I can make a challenge work for me anyway I want or need it to.   

That said...  I am starting out with expectations, and goals (which I may write about in future posts), and for the next 30-31 days I plan to post my progress once a week, as opposed to posting daily as I've done in the past.  I'm not sure what day those posts will land on - maybe it will change each week.  It doesn't matter. Whatever day I post, I will include a picture for each day's purge since the last challenge posting, and in the end we'll see how much progress I can make in a month's time.  

In case you don't know the drill, and don't want to click the link above, the way the challenge works is to purge 1 item on Day 1, 2 items on Day 2, 3 items on Day 3 and so on.  While, at the end of 30 days, I should have purged at least 465 things, I will decide each day what constitute a thing. Somedays a "thing" might be a collection of the same thing.  It's easy to see how more than 465 actual things typically leave the house in this challenge, but at least 465 things gone is the goal. I know to the uninitiated, that 465 things sounds like a crazy number of things being purged, but the really crazy thing is...  it isn't.  I've proven it several times. 

I'm motivated to get started on this, so I'm not waiting for a new month to come around.  I'm starting today.  

On Day 1, I'm rehoming a laminator, and I expect I'll send some laminator sheets along with it.  



Surprisingly, I have found a laminator to be handy to have over the years, and I've had the one pictured for close to 20 years, I'm guessing.  Then, when clearing out my mother-in-law's house in 2020, I brought home a laminator they had.   I'm thinking no one else wanted it and my thought process must have been I'll have a spare if the one I have dies. Well, the first one hasn't died and honestly...  laminators are inexpensive enough if the one I have dies, and I actually decide I need to replace it, I can do that.  I also think it's highly possibly if I find myself laminator-less, I'll just do without.  A laminator is kind of cool and handy to have, but I have to admit, in my current life it is not even close to being a necessity.

~~~~~

So you can see how this challenge will roll.  From here on out, I'll post once a week with a picture of each day's items purged, and I imagine many of these posts will be short and sweet.  Since you can't divide 30 or 31 days evenly by 7, I may get creative on what a week looks like.  It will be my plan to not make this last beyond 5 weeks, let's say 6 posts total - including this one.   Unless I need more...  I'm winging this.  Just go with it.

If you're inspired to join me, I'd love to know.  If you just want to follow along and encourage me on my endeavor, I'll be grateful.  


I'm curious...  do you have a laminator?  If so, what sorts of things do you use one for?


25 comments:

  1. Yes, ma'am. We have a laminator and have used it many times. We have laminated our Medicare cards, weekly menu planner, tags for luggage, signs for our church and many other things. I remember doing the daily declutter with you a few years back. I enjoyed doing it too. Now I just take one room at a time and thoroughly go through it. It is amazing how much I find year after year too. My craftroom was just completed a month ago and man, did I cull a lot out of it. Good luck. Will be fun to see what you have leaving your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marsha, those are great examples.
      I noticed my Medicare cards I just got (3 total!) are thin, so, yes, they need to get laminated. I, too, laminate (and ocassionally change out) my weekly menu planner. Random things just seem to pop up that benefit from being laminated - not as often as when we were homeschooling and I was a co-op teacher, but even now a laminator comes in handy on occasion.

      Delete
  2. I love your Minimalism Game plan. There is something challenging and even exciting to see what all a person can get rid of and still be happy. Having the game rule book in your own hands surely helps. I'm wishing you great strides. Around here, we've been down similar downsizing and culling in recent weeks; the game would have been fun, but it's been fun even without it. It feels good to cull and let go. Bringing order from chaos and disorder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, I'm not sure what it is that is so motivating to me about the Mininalism Game, but as the days go by, my enthusiasm grows stronger. Sharing progress here also helps increase my enthusiasm, I'm sure due to a bit of self-imposed pressure, and encouragement from readers. ☺️

      Delete
  3. Your plan takes the drudgery out of clearing out stuff and organizing. I like the challenge of so many things each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's unfortunately a tad bit of drugery, still, May. Today I got a bit overwhelmed and had to take a break until tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. I have not used a laminator since I found lamination voids a lot of vital original documents! That was why I was considering one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. You remind me, Liz. Years ago when two of our sons were baptized, someone in the church office decided to laminate their baptismal certificates. I was disappointed and kept meaning to ask for non-laminated ones, but never did. I figured there was no hurry. The church ended up closing its doors (about 20 years ago now), and I never did ask for them. It was an independent church and I doubt there is anyone I could get them from now.

      I wouldn't want to laminate anything of historical significance. And I can't think of anything I'd want to laminate that is "official enough" that it would be a no-no. Hopefully, the papery medicare cards are safe to laminate. I've never seen such thin insurance cards. I'll be using them for the first time on Monday. I'll ask about it then.

      Delete
  5. I need to join you on this purge. My craft room still has way more than I will ever use. I did have a laminator and a Cricut. I hadn't used them since retiring from teaching 10 years ago. Well I used the Cricut once for my daughter. I gave them both to my daughter in law who teaches, so I technically still use them, but she is getting far more use than me at this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really nice to be able to pass these things on to someone who is close enough you can borrow them back from if needed. 😄

      Delete
  6. At the start of this week I felt very overwhelmed with my craft supplies. I’m happy with everything I have in my Kallax units and the sewing desk drawers. It’s the wardrobes that get to me because they are crammed full and difficult to access stuff. I bought a new better shaped and sized desk which will arrive on Tuesday and on Thursday and Friday I have painted the room a nicer colour, so I’m hoping all this will help me spend more time in there using all the supplies I have! I’m not quite in a position to join you in your declutter challenge but maybe once the desk arrives and the room is all set up and not got stuff dotted round the house which I needed to do during painting then I’ll maybe start. It won’t let me sign in but this is Liz (Highlandheffalump.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am now wondering if you are all the Anonymous comments, Liz. I'm so glad you told me it's you, and I am so sorry you can't log in to comment as yourself. I'm in need of some different kind of furniture in this room (or so I think). I will check out your blog to see if you post about your new stuff!

      Delete
  7. This week I asked my husband to help me declutter my craft closet so I can use one of the shelves for storage of seasonal trays and decor. (I just don't have appropriately sized space for things of that nature in my kitchen or dining room.) So far we have gone through two shelves and have cleared one for those seasonal items. We have one shelf to go (the top one) and floor space at the bottom of the closet. We plan to add a second shelf into the top area because that area once had space for hanging clothes. So we can make two shelves out of one.

    In just what we've done so far -- I think we've spent just an hour or two on each of three different days -- we've generated two large bags full of trash, passed a few things on to grandchildren who enjoy crafting, and are working on our second or third thrift store donation box. I really have no idea how many things have left the house, but it's probably in the hundreds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you've made a lot of progress, Mrs. T. Now that I've started this challenge on just my craft stuff, I find myself looking around and noticing other areas to declutter. I think I could do this challenge for years before coming anywhere close to minimalism. Not that minimalism is exactly my goal, but I do enjoy space that we have more of these days.

      Delete
  8. Oh, I will definitely be reading and cheering you on! My sister and I are currently helping my mom do some purging and decluttering in her home. Does that count? Ha! Well, to answer my own question . . . it certainly counts but I can't blog about it!

    Have fun with your "taming"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, how nice that you and your sister are helping your mom out this way. And in the end, you're helping future selves!

      Delete
  9. Gosh you are so disciplined Becky I think this is a great idea, I will be watching you and cheering you on from the sidelines, of course I would love to join you but I'm afraid my decluttering comes in fits and starts and the getting started is always the problem. Have a great Sunday. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now see, it's because I'm not disciplined that I find myself in this situation. Thank you for the encouragement, Linda! :)

      Delete
  10. Hello! This is a wonderful challenge! And I haven't used a laminator since I taught public school, but I do remember many nights in front of the TV, cutting and cutting things! Have a cozy Sunday, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laminators are so handy when making things for children to handle. Thanks for the encouragement, Billie Jo.

      Delete
  11. I am not nearly as ambitious as you, but we recently had wooden shelves built in our walk-in kitchen pantry to replace old wire ones, forcing us to do a lot of de-cluttering in that realm. Baby steps! I'll be following you here for further inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, I feel like I'm baby stepping in my decluttering. I really haven't done much of it since moving here. I can't believe we've been here for 2 1/2 years! Thank you thinking my efforts are inspiring. :)

      Delete
  12. I would LOVE to have a laminator but I can't justify the space these days (not to mention expense). I used to use those little adhesive laminating sheets. LOL Again, thanks for the inspiration. I really need and want to begin getting rid of things that adds up to little more than clutter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you about wanting to get rid of things that amount to clutter. But I also still have the desire to make things that tend to generate some amount of clutter. I think I'm beginning the quest of getting things under better control. Then I can hopefully see my way clearer to what I do keep being much more manageable. For me, this is a process. And one I often need to do in layers.

      Delete
  13. I attempted to play along when you did the last challenge and I think I fell off the wagon before it was over. Nevertheless I did get rid of a lot of 'stuff' that certainly hasn't been missed. I don't have the oomph to tackle my sewing space although I know I should. Perhaps reading your posts will inspire me.
    No laminator here and can't imagine having a real use for one.

    ReplyDelete