Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Minimalism Challenge 2024 - Craft Edition, Days 3-10...

While I've made good progress, choosing to do a 30-day minimalism challenge in only one room is proving to be harder than I thought it would be.   It's not that I wouldn't be able to come up with 465 things to rehome from this space in 30 days - I'm sure that is entirely possible.  But some challenges have become evident that I didn't anticipate:

  • Emotional ties to old visions I had for making some things have been renewed.  And along with that, there is a very real sense of inspiration being stirred up again as I see things that I haven't encountered since unpacking them from moving boxes over two years ago.  Not only do I not want to let some old things go, I'm finding myself wanting to make new projects, too!

  •  A boredom factor of focusing on only one room for so long has begun to set in.  

  • For reasons explained below, it's getting confusing to take photos of things for a weekly post.


The emotional aspect of being unsure about getting rid of things is dealt with by pulling out and setting aside those items for a few days.  Letting these things "cool off", sometimes helps me see clearer what to let go of, and what makes sense to keep - at least until another sort.  Encountering these feelings reminds me that downsizing one's stuff is often easier done in layers.

In terms of the boredom factor, and the confusion aspect, I've decided some change is needed.   

Some days I don't have the time to work on this, and some days I simply don't want to sort through things.  So I've hit upon an obvious solution.  I simply sort through as much as I have the time, energy and motivation for on any given day.  That means I may remove twenty things one day, and 2 things another day.  At first, I started putting things together in numbered lots and planned to account for them as "Day 3 things, Day 4 things, etc.  That's what was going on in the photos below.  

But I have found that cumbersome to keep straight.  Sometimes I'd forget where I was, and I'd photograph 2 or 3 groups of 8 things, for example.  Ugh.  I don't want to devote that kind of time and attention to carefully creating a photograph record of everything leaving by the day, so that stops here.  After this post, I will simply photograph items that leave the room on any given day. And those pictures will show up in their weekly post. 

To be clear, when I've done this challenge in the past, and posted a photograph each day of the month, I found it easy enough to do.  I would pull together a specific number of items for each day, photograph those items, and then they were out the door in short order.  Aside from the confusion that's been happening this time around, as I collect stuff for photographing in specific numbers for different days, leaving stuff in a pile waiting to be counted and photographed is sometimes counterproductive in that after contemplating stuff over a period of a week, I change my mind about getting rid of some things.  In retrospect, doing this challenge with a weekly posting isn't nearly as effective as posting every day.

So, I'm just going to photograph things as I set them aside to leave - regardless of how many items are in the picture.  I am going to continue counting items leaving, and record the number in each (probably weekly) post.  Though, if something deserves a post of its own, you already know I'll be all over that. 😄

Also, I plan to continue with the sorting in this room for a period of 30 days from when I started.  Whether or not I sort every day, finishing on May 11th is my plan.  I may or may not end up rehoming 465 things, or maybe I'll surpass that number.  It doesn't matter.  My success in this challenge will be counted differently than I set out to consider it in the beginning.   

So... all that said, here is the next haul of items leaving the room where I store most of the craft supplies:

The "Houses" quilt, I purchased at a fund raiser over 4 years ago.  It's cute, but it's not really my style as something I'd want to hang on the wall, and I don't have a young child around who might enjoy it as a dolly blanket.  It's okay to let it go.  It's not in any way precious to me. The other two items are pre-printed panels I think my mother-in-law had started quilting.  After her passing, I thought I might enjoy finishing them off, but now, nearly 4 years later, I can honestly say I have no motivation to finish these things.  Maybe someone else will like to finish them, though!   (3 things)

Inexpensive pillows purchased once upon a time to serve as pillow inserts I was excited about crocheting at the time.  I have other inserts if I want to make more pillows.  I'm tired of shifting these things around, so they can go.  (4 things)

A Bible puzzle book that was gifted to me when I felt too sick to work in it, and now am too busy to - someone else will love to have it.  Here is also an extra seed catalog that someone else will benefit from, and three embroidery transfer packets that I no longer have any interest in using.  (5 things)

Crocheted stars that were fun to make - just to learn how to make them, but I haven't used them, and don't foresee using them.  Out they go!  (6 things)


A few years ago, a friend handed me a bag of yarn she didn't want anymore.  This week, I pulled out some skeins I might offer to knit her something with, but it's time these yarns find someone who'll love them.  (7 things)


Clockwise:  A lace panel that would make a nice table covering for someone else. Three colored sheer curtain panels I used in our other house (of 23 years) - I am over them. Two pillow covers I bought on clearance at Hobby Lobby and never used. Shabby, tabbed curtain panels that were in this house when we moved in, and I replaced relatively quickly.   I will not miss any of these things when they go.  (8 things)

Years ago, in the early 90's, a friend and I made crafts to sell at craft fairs.  I don't remember if we did this for more than a couple of fairs, but was fun however long it lasted.  It was also hard work, and we probably only made enough to cover our expenses - because, I'm sure, we were afraid to charge too much for our hand-made items.  My friend made adorable large-ish stuffed bunnies and I made large-ish sort of rag dolls wearing pinafores - why oh why did I not take pictures of those?!?   There were also smaller sewn crafts made.  These little baby ornaments above, were (surprisingly) kind of popular and sold readily, but here are nine leftover and forgotten ones I had stashed away - for what purpose I don't know.  When I uncovered them, I toyed with the idea of keeping them and tying them onto baby gifts, but even I think they're a little weird now, and I don't imagine giving nine baby gifts anytime soon.  Don't know whether to toss them, or donate them, but they are leaving.  (9 things)


And lastly...  some miscellaneous fabrics, and pre-printed panels for pillows and ornaments.  All of this came from my mother-in-law's stash.  (10 things)

At this point, I think I've gone through every space and container in the room I am working in and have brought a better order to things overall.  From here on out, I'll be focusing on specific containers/shelves/drawers and doing a deeper sort.  The goal will be to consolidate even more, and whittle down the number of containers.  I have found deciding to own no more than an allotted container can hold is a very effective rule in helping one choose what needs to go, so at this point, Dana White's Container Concept will be my guiding principle.  

Thanks for stopping by!  If you're doing some spring decluttering, I'd love to hear about it!


Minimalism Challenge 2024 - Craft Edition 
Tally:   55 things gone.



19 comments:

  1. "I may remove twenty things one day, and 2 things another day. "
    That's the best way to go about it.
    I think you did great! What a diverse collection!
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I'm feeling much better about the whole thing now that I've given myself this latitude.

      Delete
  2. I think you jave done well. You do your declutter as it best fits you. As long as you are happy with the results. That is what counts! Those stats and baby ornaments are very cute and will be a hit where ever you donate them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marsha, this time around has helped me see the 30-Day Minimalism Game is much easier to do if the whole house is in play. Then it really does feel like a game. I've made enough progress in this room, that if I stopped now, I'd be happy, but I'm also committed to going through containers and hopefully whittling the contents down some more. This pace feels much more doable.

      Delete
  3. That “Houses” quilt would absolutely have been hung on my wall just a few short years ago. I love it. But now that I’ve changed all of that and live with the home decor of my husband’s late wife (which is very tasteful), that quilt would not fit in well. But I enjoyed seeing it here on your blog.

    You’ve got neat stuff. It’s a good thing I don’t live near you or I’d be buying some of these things!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, do I understand that, Barbara. When other crafters get rid of their stuff and share pictures online, I feel that same feeling. "Oh, I wish I lived near you. I'd love to come and take that off your hands!" :D

      Delete
  4. I wrote and lost a comment. The gist is that it's not easy and you're doing fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Continuing to make progress, Liz! It feels good.

      Delete
  5. Yay for you! You go girl!! Oddly enough (or maybe a subliminal message happening from you?) I just this day picked up one of Dana White's books at the library and have her other one on the hold list. I really need to get rid of some more 'stuff' and I must say I love her container concept which makes so much sense. Having said that, I'm scouting new containers for my landscape fabric stash after reading (I think it was you?) about using smaller containers for things in order not to hurt my back. I have a couple 72L Rubbermaid totes that are simply too heavy to keep lifting around every time I want to get to the container that is ALWAYS, without fail, at the bottom of the pile. Ideally I would love to get rid of the mostly useless pull out couch in my sewing room and replace it with a nice chest of drawers to hold my fabric but short of taking an ax to it, that couch isn't leaving without removing doors and finding a couple of strong men who have nothing better to do with their time. Sadly, it seems that containers are my only option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Anne, I did write something recently about my large storage boxes of yarn being not such a great thing to be moving around for someone with osteoporosis in their spine. I've rearranged mine so I don't have to move so many at a time, and I have it as a goal to eventually whittle down the number of boxes of yarn I own. Your couch situation sounds like a challenge. And you create quite a vivid picture of how to deal with. lol If it wasn't anything I wanted to save, I'd take an axe and/or saw to it. But we also have easy enough ways to dispose of the pieces here.

      Delete
    2. My sewing room has pretty much everything shoehorned into it and there's only one spot where I can keep containers and sadly they have to be stacked. It's Mr. Murphy's Law #3,428 that the container I need is, without fail, on the bottom of the heap. I'm trying to convince my pocketbook that it will stretch enough to purchase half a dozen smaller containers that would be much easier to handle. Those things are more expensive that what you'd think!

      Delete
  6. I think you are doing great and 100% understand your struggles along the way, all your points are things I’ve thought myself when I have been decluttering. I was going to clear my painting drawers and pastels, but now my art easels are easier to access it makes it harder for me to think about clearing them out because now I think I actually may do some. I become conscious that my stuff occupies about 90% of our house, my books, my Minion and Pooh bear collections, my hobbies (crafting, SUP, gardening), my makes, my finished objects, even a lot of our furniture is what I bought for my first home or what my ex husband and I had and we split up 19 years ago. It’s crazy how difficult it can be to say goodbye to things. I have a small box I’m filling with things to go but it’s tough so I admire your stamina to keep going. Liz (Highlandheffalump)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, what's crazy is that even as I move stuff out, there is still plenty left to work with. The hardest part right now is not stopping and making something. I mustn't or I will never be able to pull myself back to decluttering until THAT is done. I just hope, when all this sorting is over, I'm feeling inspired still. I have a feeling, though, I'll need to take a complete break from the room and all its contents for a while.

      Delete
  7. I also have periods of cleaning out and being rid of stuff. It is hard to let go of the thoughts we have when we acquired those things-like-"I know just what I'll make with this!" Amazing how those memories associated with those things stay with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, I find it troubling how much my emotions can get in the way of decluttering creative stuff. I'm not overly sentimental over many things, but letting go of the idea that at one time I wanted to make this or that can be a real challenge. It's like even just the idea for making something is part of my identity. That seems wrong, but it also seems very real sometimes.

      Delete
  8. This structured approach has never worked for me. I would start off well but never make it to the end. I think it is a matter of knowing yourself. In my case, the desire to downsize and declutter comes naturally and fairly frequently. I just keep a bag in the closet of things going out the door and when it is full I donate and start another bag. At times there is a big push to declutter significantly (as opposed to a little at a time) like this winter when I knew my daughter would be moving into my condo temporarily - and I had to make enough room for her to say 3-4 months. She is moving out in May - and will leave some big empty spaces behind - and I plan to once again maximize on that and declutter big time again.

    And as far as emotionally separating from stuff, I don’t have that problem because the space that is created and the peace of mind that comes with that newly freed up space is a far greater reward for me than holding on to any particular item. My focus in life now is ‘peace.’ And too much of anything is not peaceful for me. And some of this also comes as a result of my age - 77 this month. Realistically I know I can’t do all the projects or read all the books that I have managed to collect over the decades. So only the ‘cream of the crop’ gets saved and the items that are only ’so-so’ or ‘maybe next year’ - they get moved on to someone else. And I have discovered that once it was out the door, I didn’t miss it. In fact, I would have a hard time making a list of what was gone.

    Hope this entry helps a little with your current desire to get past a few road blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does help, Elaine! I both feel the emotional tug of some of my crafty things, and I recognize what you say is true. I'm going to revisit your comment and mull it over. I think if I can get some of your words to settle into me, I will find some renewed motivation as I finish the sorting I want to complete in this particular room. I find motivation comes in different flavors and layers. Thank you for taking the time to write what you did.

      Delete
  9. You are doing so well, Becki! As I've mentioned, with my hubby's help I have the craft closet 3/4 decluttered, which I'm so pleased with. However, I'm recognizing I have craft items stored in many areas around the house, and so those need decluttering too. I keep yarn stashed in my bedroom closet and I did recently go through that yarn, so that's done. I think the most challenging though may be all of my cross-stitch fabric and patterns (plus a few embroidery patterns) which are stashed in a trunk in the living room. I know I will never complete all of the cross-stitch designs I want to, but the hard part is deciding which patterns I want to keep. Most of them are in the Cross Country magazines from the late 1990s and early 2000s. I definitely have SABLE (stash acquired beyond life expectancy)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're doing great, too, Mrs. T! I've not heard the acronym SABLE before, but I definitely have it! Part of me would love to pare down my craft materials to only what I am currently working on. At least I have seriously curbed buying new craft materials in the last 5 or 7 years. That seems like some kind of progress.

      Delete