Friday, May 24, 2024

The garden is in...

Just popping in to say all is well here. Things are growing and blooming, and I can't believe there is only one week left in May. 

The strawberries came on at least three weeks early this year, and suddenly this week, we noticed the tart cherries ripening.  We didn't get cherries last year, but looking back, I can see that they've come ripe a full month earlier than they did in 2022.  


Between some routine medical appointments this week, I've just been a pickin' and a grinnin'.  Strawberries and cherries.   Each in their own time is satisfying.  Both of them together... well, let's just say, I wasn't ready for this.  


As of today, though, I'm done picking cherries.  The birds get what's too high to reach, and we will be content with what we have.  

We have enjoyed what is becoming our traditional "first pickins' cherry cobbler".  

I expect the strawberries may only have another week or so - if they have that long.   Between you and me, I will not be disappointed when the strawberries stop producing.

The summer garden is finally (mostly) put in.  It's not a late garden, but it took nearly four weeks to get it all done.  Having said that, maybe that's not a bad plan going forward.  Just doing a little at time, however long it takes...

Here's another experiment we're trying with garden mulches:


I learned online (from several sources) that shaved pine bark makes a good garden mulch. It comes in large shrink wrapped packages, and we scored a deal on four bags that were ripped and taped closed, and discounted 50%.  This stuff is pretty cheap anyway, but at 50% off Tractor Supply was practically giving it away.  So all the tomato and pepper plants, and some other random stuff that hasn't yet sprouted has all gotten this shaved pine bark mulch treatment.  The tomato and pepper plants are looking good, by the way. Two did not survive transplanting, but I had two more waiting in the wings to take their place.

I still plan to plant some summer squash seeds - somehow I thought I had leftover seed from last year, but there was only one lonely summer squash seed in the packet when I cut it open.  Why did I save one seed and tape the package shut?!?

This narrow raised bed section of the garden finally got worked on one day this week.  Honestly, I hadn't done anything with this space since moving here:

Between the wooden sticks (above), I've planted some 
Lemon Cucumbers, and pickling cucumbers that I hope to train up the trellis. The walking onions, arugula and two different types of radishes are at the other end of this raised bed.  I planted some more lettuce seeds on this side of the arugula yesterday, that might just sprout next week with the cool weather that's forecasted.  I'm not really expecting lettuce to be successful planting it this late, but reports said this seed (Little Gem) does better in the heat.  We'll see!  

About half of this raised bed spends some time in shade in the summer, so I'm not sure what else I'll plant in here.  If you've had success with any shade tolerating/heat loving veggies (or even flowers - though not impatiens) I'd be interested in hearing about it.

With all the strawberry and cherry picking there has also been some preserving going on.  That will be another post, and hopefully by the time I post about it, I'll have figured out how to make beautiful low (or no) sugar jam.  My first batch tastes good, but it doesn't look quite like I want it to.  I may have cooked it too long.  Making good jam is a process, I'm learning..

I hope your spring is looking beautiful where you are!  



21 comments:

  1. It sounds like a bit of heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring here is pretty heavenly, Liz.☺️

      Delete
  2. We used to have a couple of those sprinklers.
    Your garden looks great. And yes, slow but sure wins the race, or something like that. :)
    Your strawberries look wonderful. I never had luck with them.
    I must remember pine bark mulch.
    Raised beds are my friend. :)
    Spring bypassed Louisiana. We are into summer here. highs in the low to mid 90s, lows in the low to mid 70s. And of course, humidity. :)
    Praising God for AC. :)
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I don't think I could handle that kind of heat so early. When we get a week or two of those temperatures in the summer, I stay in the AC as much as possible and complain about how oppressively hot it is outside. I can only imagine how hot your summers must be. Hats off to all of you southerners who can handle it.

      Delete
  3. Happy Gardening! Y'all have done a lot there.
    If the shade is cool enough, then you might be able to plant spinach for summer salads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion, May. I've actually pretty much eliminated spinach from my diet since learning it's high in oxylates. I only started caring about oxylates since getting an osteoporosis diagnosis.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a fabulous garden this year. Do cherry trees only produce every other year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marsha, we had one of our sons trim both the cherry tree and the peach tree sometime before spring 2023, so we are guessing the timing of that may have disturbed both trees flowering and producing fruit. But we also had a very warm winter with a late snow, if I remember correctly, so maybe the buds got frozen before they bloomed. We really don't know the reason we didn't get cherries or peaches last year, but it was actually a gift since I ended up having surgery in mid June. 😊

      Delete
  5. Wow, to have strawberries and cherries ripening already, you are way ahead of us in our part of the world. Our trees are just blooming now and some trees are still struggling to get their leaves out. It's been a cool May. We've had rain which we badly needed. Enjoy your garden and the weekend, Becki.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, it's been an exceedingly hot May here this year (reached 90 one day last week). Combined with more rain than normal, the growing things have been going gang busters. It's beautiful at the moment, but it's also made for more work.

      Delete
  6. Wow, the cherries look so colorful and delightful Becki! And everything else seems to be coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TB, it's been a remarkable spring here. Warm weather since late February, and lots of rain is making everything really lush right now. We usually experience high heat and drought through some of the summer, so we'll see how long this lasts. ;^)

      Delete
  7. It all looks wonderful. I would love some cherries. It truly looks great and working in the garden is hard work and maybe the best workout ever. No gym needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can tell I'm using muscles that don't get worked regularly, Sandy. And hopefully my body is making an abundance of Vitamin D with the hours spent outside lately. :D As long as I feel like doing it, gardening is a net plus, I'm thinking.

      Delete
  8. We just spent an hour picking Colorado potato beetles off our plants! Also lots of weeds popping up. Love our garden, but it takes a lot of work! I hope we get strawberries. We still have another 2 wks in our zone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is dedication, Martha. I don't know if I could mentally handle that task. Though, looking them up, I have to say those are pretty cute beetles. 🙂 But wow - what a job. I hope you get strawberries, too.

      Delete
  9. Look at you going to town with gardening and canning and all that yummy goodness!
    I used to love gardening and now I can't eat hardly any of it. No seeds, no nuts, no skins in order to keep the diverticulitis at rest...lol! No red meat, no bacon.....so sad but I feel great so there's something to be said for that. We had a pie cherry tree on the farm and we couldn't wait to make that first cherry pie. I hope everything does well for you and you get much enjoyment out of your garden. Yes, I agree, Spring came early. Enjoy!
    Hugs ~ Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Sam. Since moving to a place that already had a garden spot, and several perennial fruits and an asparagus patch, it's been fun to reawaken the old gardening/canning me. I'm so glad I saved my canner all these years - it makes it easy to indulge this as a hobby at this point in life.

      Delete
  10. As a non-gardener, I applaud all of your thinking and planning and hard work . . . and I am drooling over your strawberries and cherries! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks, Cheryl. Someday when we inevitably move again ( assuming we live long enough), or simole decide I don't have what it takes to do this anymore, I will think back on this time and place with fondness, I'm sure.

      Delete
  11. mmmmm- cherries. I'd think I was in heaven if I had a cherry tree. As for making strawberry jam, the only kind I like is the freezer version which always tastes so fresh and looks nice and red like fresh berries.

    ReplyDelete