Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Minimalism Challenge 2024 - Craft Edition, Days 23-30

My latest downsizing efforts have officially come to an end.   And a happy ending it is - for several reasons:  

  • It's always good to finish something one starts. 
  • While I'm finished with this particular challenge, the truth is I have once again sparked a greater desire to think more intentionally about my stuff, and to continue paring it down.  In other words, the process has only just begun (again). 
  • I have been reminded of what I actually own in terms of craft materials.  After our move two and a half years ago, and after parking various containers of craft stuff in this particular room, I got on with other things and rarely went into this room to see and use what I've kept there.  That bothered me greatly, but I just kept the door closed, for the most part, and ignored the whole situation.  I can see how I'll be using this room more regularly now.
  • And lastly, others are (hopefully) going to enjoy what I was not using.  

I have learned some things in this process.

  • Thirty days was too long for me to spend in one room.  Truth be told, because I got sick and there were two weeks of not much happening, maybe fifteen days is too long to spend in one room.
  • On the positive side of that, though, is that I am eager now to dig into other areas of the house I wasn't allowing myself to sort through while I focused on this one room.  With this kind of motivation, it will be easy to go through drawers and cabinets here and there and slowly over time continue whittling down the superfluous stuff.  
  • I was reminded once more that purging a lifetime of accumulations is (for me) best done in layers.  Even with stuff that holds little emotional attachment, there is a mental load that comes from making decision after decision about parting with things.

This last accounting of stuff leaving doesn't feel very impressive, but it does feel necessary to my completing this challenge here.

I went through binders of crochet and knitting patterns and recycled a small pile of paper that I had once upon a time printed patterns out on.  Some were duplicates, some I realized I had no interest in making.  (1 thing)

I gained a little space on a shelf by removing these craft books.  (9 things)


I rehomed a costume apron made years ago.  It's not a decent fabric for a real apron, but as a costume it served its purpose.  Also, I'm letting go of a man's Hawaiian shirt.  It belonged to my late brother, and I kept it after he died  thinking the prints on it might be fun to use in some craft project.  I still do think that, but letting go of this is actually a letting go of some pain.  And now someone will enjoy wearing this very nice summer shirt - on a trip to Florida, maybe.   And that little green thing is a balloon pump - leftover from my clowning days.  Yes, I was in a clown ministry for a while - in a previous life.  I actually kept a slightly larger balloon pump - why I'm not sure, but that may be a future day's purge.  (3 things)


Random items:  two embroidered pillows I bought at a fund raiser, a lone skein of sock yarn, and some jewelry pieces.  (5 things)

More lace panels, and some crocheted, stained doilies and a ruffly pillow sham.  The pillow sham and white doilies are old, and I count it a blessing I don't know their history as I might be compelled to keep them for sentimental reasons.  I have some other similar items made by Greg's grandmother, and possibly mine, that are more easily stored and used than these.  As a person who enjoys making doilies (and is thinking about making some again soon), I don't consider stained doilies to be precious - necessarily.  

That said, before hitting publish, I made the mistake of looking up uses for old doilies.  This isn't the first time I've done this, and I can't believe I saw some new ideas.  Okay...  I may be pulling out the larger round doily, but the ruffly one holds no interest to me. I'll let someone else reimagine something made with that one.  (5 things)

While I didn't cast off hundreds of items this time around, I did lighten a room, as well as my mind and spirit, by rehoming some still useful stuff. Last night, middle son spent the night here - as he does sometimes when he commutes two and a half hours to work in Indy once a week).  Taking his things into the room, he called out, "Wow, it looks like you've gotten rid of of lot of stuff."  Yay!  It is noticeable to more than just me.  Mission accomplished!

And then this morning, leaving before we were even up, he forgot to take his 14 year-old music collage/posters with him.  He did think they were fun to see again, but back they go into the corner for now...

Minimalism Challenge 2024 - Craft Edition 
Tally:   151 things gone.



22 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a job well done. If your son notice, that is a win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds as if you're moving forward purposefully and thoughtfully, great combo. It's such a mental and emotional journey, needs to be traveled in stages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been a good example of that, Liz. I'm not ready to get rid of as much as you have, but I've been paying attention. You've given us all a good example of winnowing one's belongings.

      Delete
  3. Guys don't normally notice such things, so your progress must be obvious. I'm crediting your influence with me getting my rear in gear and taking a car load to the thriftie today. Now you're motivating me to go through all my printed patterns that I'm pretty sure will never be used and try to downsize those too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Becki! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becki, you make a super important point about having a endpoint. It gives one a sense of "mission accomplished" instead of the endless thought of "I have X amount more of rooms to do".

    151 things? Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, TB. I think 151 things is a respectable amount for a first go through. :)

      Delete
  6. Well done Becki that is an impressive total. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are still going at it and I am too! You are doing so well. I'm like you though, I always think...could I repurpose this? Can I make something with it? I still have that problem but I've found that if I go back later and clean out that cupboard or that drawer or that room, I always find more to get rid of. I think it's a never-ending project. I'm also decorating as I go. I just did my bathroom and put in shelf liner and a new shower curtain and rugs. If I make it fun for myself I am more motivated. I scrubbed the floor today with knee pads but it gets harder and harder for me. Tomorrow I'm going to hang pictures in there. I dangle carrots for myself all the time! LOL! Congratulations to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On Sam, I have had to discipline myself to not go down the "What can I make with this" rabbit hole. When I do, I inevitably save the thing. Scrubbing the floor on your knees - that's a workout!

      Delete
  8. Becki, I've enjoyed following along in your recent paring down project. You've made good progress. I found it interesting that you found a month too long to focus on one room - I know I would. I lose my momentum quickly - short deadlines are better for me.

    We've been renovating - updating our flooring and so things have been packed, moved around, and not accessible for weeks. It's been a great time to discover how much I no longer need or want. At this stage of my life (heading towards my 70s) I want to caretake fewer material things...and to make my cleaning/dusting simpler, easier, and quicker.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, I've done this month-long challenge on my whole house (at least twice), and it was a great success. I thought it was a clever idea to concentrate on one room doing this challenge, but for this long... well, let's just say that turned out to not be the best idea I've ever had. ;^)

      Delete
  9. Its not easy getting rid of things, but having moved home twice in 4 years a lot of stuff went, I still have more to get rid of but I'm working on it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, we lived in our last house for 23 years, and that is a long time to accumulate stuff. Moving two years ago was a great motivator for me to cull through everything and get rid of lots of things. And we, too, still have too much stuff.

      Delete
  10. I have been doing decluttering as well. But mine is more built into my everyday life now, than done as a separate project. I have focused on decluttering in stages so often that now it seems to permeate my daily activities. I keep a grocery bag in my closet and add stuff to it everyday. I then donate it to a local thrift store. I think the lift it gives me every time I donate a bag keeps me coming back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, doing this challenge from time to time has served as a great kickstarter for me to change my mentality about stuff, cleaning, decluttering. I still seem to need it every once in a while. Keeping a container always handy for donatable items is a great idea.

      Delete
  11. Well done, Becki! Although I don't have the crafting supplies, etc. you do, I have plenty of other stuff I could go through. I have made some progress, but there is always more to do. (We have lived in our house 23 years, if that gives you any idea!) Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Bob... I understand, exactly. That's how long we lived in the house we most recently moved out of. That is a long time to settle in, and stash a lot of stuff. :)

      Delete