Friday, July 5, 2024

Miscellany...

 First, something new to us that we've found in our wood mulch.  Slime mold:  



Just doing a quick search, I'm thinking this is likely in the Dog Vomit family.  If so, I can attest to the appropriate name.  When I saw the first one, I actually thought it was something a wild critter had thrown up.  When I found several little mounds of this throughout a bed where new wood chips were recently spread, I realized that wasn't likely and I needed to look this thing up.


While I was, at first, wary of even poking it with a stick (scenes from "The Blob"  vivid in my memory), I was relieved to read that it is harmless.  One can even safely pick it up with bare hands.  Not that I wanted to do that, but it was a simple thing to discard it.   In case you're interested in seeing how much more beautiful than dog vomit some species of slime mold can be, there are some pictures here, and an interesting little video explaining how slime mold grows.  

Moving on...

Checking that the front door was locked one evening recently, this little fella caught my eye:

With the porch light on, he (or she) was probably enjoying a feast of insects tinier than itself.

~~~~~

And, finally...


...a sneak peek at a stitching project I started recently:

Fat quarters and floss

There is a clue in the picture above as to what this project is called.  
If you know, you know.

Almost finished.  
An explanation of this project will soon be forthcoming.

What interesting, perhaps random, things have come across your path recently?



22 comments:

  1. "Slime mold"! So that's what it is. We have none now but we had a lot of it just a couple of months ago (before our weather turned so terribly hot). We didn't know what to do about it so we did nothing and hoped it would go away. It appears it has gone away (or at least receded out of easy sight) and for that I am glad. I have too much to think about right now without dealing with mysterious growths in our bark mulch. Thanks for putting that issue to rest (or at the least, on the back burner).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have been of service, Barbara. :D

      Delete
  2. Slime mold is indeed icky looking.
    God blessed me with a hummingbird this evening. No pictures because it was too flighty and when it did land, I was afraid to move, so I just thanked God for bringing it to me. :)
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that, Linda. I love when we are so delighted by nature that we are moved to thank our Creator for it. Hummingbirds are such amazing little birds.

      Delete
  3. Becki, one of the interesting things to me was the different molds and fungi that would grow on the decomposing rabbit litter pellets. All sorts of amazing shapes, sizes, and colors I had never seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, TB! Thanks for sharing that.

      Delete
  4. Eeew even the word slime mould grosses me out. I have no tolerance at all for slime it's why aubergine (egg plant) and okra are off my foods I'll eat. I would have to have someone else do the removal of it week. Well you have me intrigued with the fabric and stitching, I'm not yet 'in the know' so look forward to seeing what it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg silly me. That was Liz (highlandheffalump)

      Delete
    2. I'm beginning to associate anonymous comments with you, Liz - even before you identify yourself. I sure do wish there was a way you could comment here that leaves a link back to your blog. I have to use a defunct email to leave comments on WordPress blogs. These blogging platforms seem to work against their own self interests sometimes. Certainly against MYself interest. 🫤

      Yes, I agree, slime mold is an unfortunate name for something that can actually be quite beautiful. Not that the dog vomit variety is in that category...

      Delete
  5. Well I must say, yewwwwww - that mould IS gross!! I can see why it earned that name.
    I have an idea what your stitching project might be, but will wait and see if I'm right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Anne, of all my commenters, I thought maybe you and Boud would know. 😉

      Delete
  6. Slime mold, despite the name, can be beautiful. We have a brilliant orange colored one nearby, and sulfur yellow. Fungi and lichens are endlessly beautiful and worth studying.
    That looks like the spontaneous Indian quilting form whose name escapes me all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct, Liz! And I am not surprised (see my comment abovevto Magpie).I'll share the name soon. Along with the finished project.

      Delete
  7. Happily, I've never encountered slime mould... ewww. But I was delighted to come across your photos of your new stitching project. Oh my, I love the fabrics you've chosen - the colours are so summery and cheerful. Look forward to hearing/seeing more about what you've got planned for these beauties. Happy Saturday, Becki.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda. I was in serious need of cheery colors when I bought a bunch of fat quarters for this project. And I have a lot left over for some other fun projects someday. :)

      Delete
  8. I don't like the look of that mould at all! I'm glad that it's harmless I've never heard of it before. Your fabrics are lovely, I'm quite intrigued as to what it is your working on, can't wait for the reveal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I'll not lie - it was kind of scary looking when I didn't know what it was. When I finally did poke it with a stick, it was pretty hard. I imagined it being oozy.

      Delete
  9. Nature is something, isn't it?? I am fascinated by the things you have shared. And your fabrics are so beautifully colored!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Very close, Liz! You're definitely on the right track. :)

      Delete