Wednesday, July 31, 2024

As July comes to a close...

Today's harvest
Some green beans, possibly my last zucchini, a yellow squash, tomatoes and one mini bell pepper.

I've been picking and canning green beans for a week now.  Daily, new beans mature to the point of needing to be picked.  And inevitably, because green beans like to play hide and seek, I always find a few beans swollen way past their prime and I wonder, "How many days did I completely miss these?!? "

So every morning, the question I now ask myself when I see a still slightly young bean is, "Do I leave it and take a chance on not seeing it again before it's become too tough to eat, or do I pick it now and enjoy it, even though I know with just one more day on the vine, it will likely be perfect?"

I haven't figured out the best answer to that question, so I just keep picking some and leaving others...  knowing at some point this will all come to a happy end.

Giant Marconi sweet peppers (above) are producing like crazy.  These are at least 7-8 inches long.  I've tried in the past to grow these peppers in planters, but had little success, so it's been exciting to see these produce so prolifically this summer.  If you're not familiar with these, Giant Marconi are a delicious, sweet pepper when they are fully red.  Much sweeter than bell peppers.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

A week or so ago, I picked a few ripe tomatoes that had developed blossom end rot.  I felt heartsick as I looked over my little kingdom of 25 tomato plants, and wondered if all would be lost.

Research told me the problem is a calcium absorption issue, and can be caused by either over or under watering.  I thought I'd been watering adequately, but I decided to take a chance and water a bit more, and to water on more of a schedule than I had been.

Fortunately, either the problem resolved, or perhaps it was only those earliest ripening tomatoes that were affected.  I keep watering, and check regularly to assure myself they're doing well.
It looks like I might be processing tomatoes within a week or two.  At a minimum, the early ripening ones will go into the freezer until there are enough to can.

Meanwhile, some of the sunflowers are fading.



But they and the zinnia's are still at work attracting moths and bees.



And, finally, this little melon-looking thing has me stumped.  I've misplaced my garden diagram, but I'm pretty sure I planted some sort of winter squash in this spot.   It doesn't seem the right shape for butternut, but that's the only winter squash seed packet that appears to have been opened.  It will be fun to see what it grows up to be!  😄

That's a wrap for July.  
Happy August, everyone!


24 comments:

  1. What a bountiful garden you had this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marsha, it has been a great summer for gardening here in central Indiana!

      Delete
  2. A bountiful garden, indeed! Congratulations on all your success growing these wonderful vegetables. I have a local friend with a green thumb like yours who has shared tomatoes, basil, cucumbers, zucchini and peppers with me. Those of who do not garden greatly appreciate those of you who do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, I'm not sure I have a green thumb, but this summer the weather has been great for gardening here. I thought I'd end up giving away more from our garden than we have. Early on I gave a friend some zucchini, and have recently shared some tomatoes with neighbors, but it also feels great to put up food for the upcoming winter/year. I'm sure some of this produce will also end up in dishes I make for others, or to share at potlucks at some point, so there will be sharing the bounty in that way as well.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing the pictures Becki! To Bob's point, those of us who are not in a position to garden greatly enjoy the pictures of those who are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, TB. This year's garden provides lots of subject matter for the camera. :)

      Delete
  4. There are few things better than a fresh garden tomato! I just picked three today to make fried green tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Autumn, I lost a tomato branch early in the summer and I brought the tomatoes on it in to make fried green tomatoes. I never got around to it, and those tomatoes ended up ripening on my kitchen counter. :D

      Delete
  5. What a marvelous harvest! The tomatoes especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, my tomatoes are very prolific, and I have been enjoying them fresh.

      Delete
  6. That's one of the fun things about having a garden - the mystery plants that appear. Sometimes they're 'planted' by the birds so that could be where your mystery came from.
    As for blossom end rot - try saving your egg shells, crush them and place them around your plants. RC is trying that this year and so far, touch wood, it seems to help. Stands to reason, I guess, if it's a calcium deficiency that causes it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Anne, I figured out what the mystery plant is. I'll reveal it in some future post, but I definitely planted it. I was just so sure I had planted butternut squash there. I'm excited for what it is, but I'm sorry I didn't plant any butternut anywhere.

      Delete
  7. I so enjoy watching your harvest, my friend. Steve just picked a sweet pepper today from his garden. He was unsure if it was ripe, because he thought it was supposed to be red. I see your peppers are green, so I will tell him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Billie Jo, my understanding is most sweet peppers can he harvested while green, but they grow more sweet as they turn orange or yellow or red. That said, I don't know that all sweet peppers do turn different colors. I've seen some people harvest these giant marconi peppers when they're green, but I can tell you, they are the most delicious sweet pepper I've ever eaten when they are red.

      Delete
  8. Such a lovely harvest you are reaping! And more to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, the green beans have finally slowed down, and the tomatoes are right on their tail. I'm enjoying having a beautiful garden this year, but I'll also be glad when the harvest is finally done. :)

      Delete
  9. I am living vicariously through your garden. I love living at the beach more than anything, but I do miss a garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, the beach seems a pretty good trade off for not being able to have a garden. :)

      Delete
  10. Beautiful harvest, Becki! I am going to have to tell my grandson Josiah (16) about the Giant Marconi peppers. He always plants peppers in his garden but I don't think he has ever planted this variety. They sound like something he would like to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. T. I first experienced Giant Marconi peppers when a friend shared some with us probably nearly 10 years ago now. I'm finding mine are getting spotted the longer they stay on the vine, so yesterday I cut off a couple that were about half red. I'm hoping they'll continue to ripen and will be as good as if I'd left them on the plant.

      Delete
  11. Your green thumb has not been adversely affected by the health woes from which you've survived and are now thriving. I'm glad you are able to enjoy the fruits of your labors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, gardening this summer has been a great boost to my health and my spirit. Of all the things I do, I think it has been the biggest help to me regaining strength I lost last year.

      Delete
  12. Lovely. You're way ahead of us. I haven't had a ripe tomato yet, soon I'm sure... We have pumpkins that are just starting to turn orange, although they're still more green on them. I love this harvest season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, I wish I had more space to grow pumpkins (even just little decorative ones). I'm toying with the idea of enlarging the garden this fall with cardboard covered by compost - come spring, hopefully the earth under the cardboard will be plantable. Some call it lazy gardening. If it works, I'll call it genius!

      Delete