Sunday, July 21, 2024

Summer crocheting...



For the last week or so I've been crocheting with tiny hook and size 10 crochet thread.  It always takes me a minute to get reaccustomed to working with these small materials, but once I get the hang of it again I really enjoy making doilies (and other items with crochet thread) that look so much more complicated than they often actually are to make.

Perusing the book 99 Little Doilies, I picked out doily #52 to make. This little doily measures in at 4 1/2 x 6 1/2 inches:

Crocheted with Artiste #10 thread in Ivory Peach

For those uninitiated to this long-term project of mine... Patricia Kristoffersen, the designer of these 99 doilies, didn't give them names; she only gave them numbers.  Numbering the doilies makes for much quicker searching in the book for what pattern goes with each pictured doily.  

That's all fine and good for the purposes of publishing a book like this, but on the other end of things, once I've finished a doily, I want it to have a name.  I suppose because everything else I crochet or knit has a name - at least a pattern name.  So I've taken it upon myself to come up with a name for each one I make.  And just to show you how clever I am, the way I come up with a name is like this...   I look at the finished doily, I might even squint and close one eye, and whatever comes to mind and clicks for me is what it gets called. I can't tell you why, but this doily gives me soda fountain vibes, and I love me a hot fudge sundae.  So this little pretty gets the name "Old Fashioned Sundae".

See how that works?  Genius, I know.

The next doily I worked on is dubiously called #2:

Crocheted with Artiste #10 thread in Papaya

While someone might argue that Doily #2 is less dubious than the name I came up with, I'm dubbing this sweet little circle "Herb Garden".  Herb Garden is a whopping 5 inches in diameter.

Just so you know... these things were even smaller before they were dampened, starched and pinned out for a hearty blocking. Without blocking, thread crochet tends to curl up on itself and look wrinkly.  I'll try to remember to take a before-blocking picture of a particularly wrinkled doily in the future, just to show the benefit blocking brings to thread crochet.

And lastly, since I wasn't exactly in love with the ivory peach color I made #52 above in, I decided to make it again in a more vibrant color:
Crocheted in Curio #10 thread in the colorway Heliotrope

I can't help but wonder what I might have named this doily if I'd made the first one using this color.  I guess we'll never know...

I hope no one visiting here gets tired of seeing little doilies any time soon, because I have a feeling I'm going to be making at least a few more before I lay this project aside again.  Maybe I'll even throw in a larger doily at some point.

Meanwhile, #93 is eagerly awaiting its completion and name...










21 comments:

  1. I adore seeing your doilies. I van no longer work with #10 thread. So I live vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never took up crocheting. Yours look lovely. And Ivory peach looks perfect for an old time soda fountain, and the "Old Fashioned Sunday". :)
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the doilies look lovely. Crocheting them always seems like it should be hard but other than the smaller hook size it is just like any other crochet project for me. I love the names you selected and the varied colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth. My favorite crochet projects are those that look harder than they are to make. :)

      Delete
  4. I remember this project and I'm so thrilled to see your dollies again. Your picture taking is beautiful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely book of little doily projects. With such a wonderful array of thread colours to choose from - delectable colours. And I like your idea of naming your doilies once you've completed each one. Happy crocheting, Becki!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, it's a fun project, but at the rate I'm making these 99 little doilies, it may take me years!

      Delete
  6. I like crocheted doilies but have no desire to learn myself. What you have here are beautiful and I enjoy the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. You remind me... Today at lunch, I was talking with a new friend who mentioned her mother tatted (maybe taught her to tat). I expressed my admiration for tatting, and that even watching videos of someone tatting, I just don't understand it at all. Someone in the group suggested that I could learn to tat, and I quickly replied, "Oh, I have no desire to learn how to tat, I'm fine with admiring it and not understanding it."

      Delete
  7. They are beautiful, Becki! I have made a few in the past, but I really don't think I care to crochet with thread and small hooks at this time of life. I'm glad that you can enjoy it and I love the colors and the idea of naming the doilies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. T, as I do fine work, I wonder how long I'll have the eyesight for it, or the finger dexterity. I'm enjoying it while I can. :)

      Delete
  8. It is fun that you are making them in different colors! I also like the fact that you are giving them names, which is so much more pleasing than just a number. :)

    Now off to play catch up and read some of your recent posts . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl. And it's so good to see you here again. :)

      Delete
  9. I love them and their names, isn’t it funny how different they look just by switching the colour. Fun names, much more interesting than just a number. Liz (https://highlandheffalump.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colors really do influence names of projects, and something I've noticed in recent years, Liz, is how much the name of a color can influence my perception of it. Sometimes, a color I wasn't particularly fond of suddenly looks different, better even, if I like the name given it.

      Delete
  10. I so love the doilies - so delicate, but I would have no use for them. So I get my fix through you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love seeing the doilies too. I started a thread crochet project (possibly your influence!) and am slowly working on it. My hands don't particularly like working that fine anymore so it's taking me awhile.

    ReplyDelete