Sunday, December 31, 2017

A fine finish to 2017...

It's the last day of 2017 and I'm so happy to have finished a project that's been languishing now for several months.

My Lost In Time Shawl/scarf is finally blocked, tassled, and ends woven in:


I'm mostly pleased with it, but I'm tempted to regret my tassels.  Not that I made tassels, but that I used all the colors in my scarf in the tassels.  They look a little clown-like to me.


And what's up with all those uneven ends?!?   I've trimmed these things at least a half a dozen times.  But then I take a picture and they're shaggy again.   And  maybe they're too long?  I don't know.  I can always trim them up (again), but I don't really know what size (length) of tassel looks best on a shawl like this.  I'm open to suggestions.

One thing I'm very pleased with is how I finished off the edges:


Basically, I followed the instructions for the border, but when I made the picots, I caught that stitch in the back of the corresponding stitch in the last row of the shawl itself (catching up, also, the chain-5 in the first row of the border.  None of that will be clear unless you're making the shawl for yourself.  I'm just making note of this for myself to remember in the future, and for anyone else who may be curious how I did that.  Basically, it eliminates the dangling border that the pattern creates.

I want to make another one of these - the pattern is that easy.  But next time I want to use a self-striping yarn (like Red Heart Unforgettable, or Lion Brand's Mandala yarn).  Or...  this shawl is beautiful done in a single color, too.  Mine above is made using Stylecraft Batik.  I love the stonewashed look of this yarn and the easy care of 80% acrylic and 20% wool fibers.

I won't be making it again too soon, though.  I've got my sights set on some other projects.  I have more projects that have also been languishing, and I'm hosting a CAL in the Our Happy CAL Place on Ravelry in January where the theme is Pillows.   So it looks like I'll be making a pillow here shortly...   I'm thinking of using the first two weeks of the Elements blanket to make a pillow.

To see what other YOPpers are up to, visit our group on Ravelry.

Happy New Year, everyone!






14 comments:

  1. That is quite the shawl and quite the accomplishment. You say it's easy but it sure doesn't look it! What a beautiful FO! I do like your edging and I have no idea what to tell you about the tassels....I'm so bad I cut them off of my rugs! LOL! I don't like messing with them and they get tangled and caught in the vacuum....too much maintenance for me so off they came! LOL! I'm not suggesting that for your shawl as they are very attractive,,,I'm just saying I know nothing. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - the finished project looks like it must have been hard, but I promise you... it's among the easiest things I've made. I'm not normally a tassel person, but the tassels on this scarf will help keep it around my neck (they provide some extra length to those corners). And tassels just sort of scream funky, don't you think? I felt like I needed at least one funky accessory. This is it. I don't need any more. :^)

      Delete
  2. That shawl is so beautiful and I like the tassels, but it is funny how with them it is hard to trim them perfectly even. I am sure there is an explanation for that but I don't know what it is. ;)

    I can't imagine how many ends you had to weave in, but it does look so fantastic. Happy New Year. Can't wait to see your pillow creation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a lot of ends. I don't even want to count the rows so that I can tell you how many. I worked on them (sort of) as I went, so it wasn't a terrible job when I finished. But that's why if I make this again, I want to use a single strand of yarn. This will be a breeze to make then.

      Delete
  3. Hi Becki :) I love the shawl and the tassels! I think they look great! :) Congrats on finishing it! Hope you have a lovely evening and wishing you the best for 2018!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! I like the tassels; they look just right to me. Your worries about the evenness remind me of my childhood... my Mom braided my hair everyday for school, and then she'd trim the pigtail ends evenly after braiding. It was all terribly uneven when my hair was loose. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - about your mom trimming your braids! Okay... I'm going to just relax about the tassels. I'm going to embrace them in all their fun and funky glory. Uneven ends, busy colors. If I just wear it like I believe in it everyone else will believe in it, too. ;^)

      Delete
  5. What a lovely way to see in the new year. I love the tassels as they are - happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That shawl is gorgeous and so colourful! I think the tassels are a perfect match and not clown-like at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gwenyth. That is encouraging. :)

      Delete
  7. I think that shawl pattern is one of the prettiest out there. I wonder how it would work if done in DK yarn? I also think your idea of doing it in a solid color would be great and really show off the different stitches. The border you did is lovely and really adds just the perfect touch. I am not a tassel person but I do like the fact you used all the colors in yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yarn I used is DK. I think the original one is done in a sport-weight yarn, but I'm not sure about that. I think the pattern comes out a bit small for a shawl, but probably just right for a triangular scarf for most people (I added a pattern repeat, though). This shawl looks great without tassels, but for some reason I wanted to put them on the first one I made. I will probably not add them to any future one I make. :)

      Delete