Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Out for a walk...

Between rainy days and hot and humid days most of my walking over the past week has been on the treadmill.   But knowing it was going to be a glorious day, I got myself back out to the wetland area this morning before it heated up.


I know it's probably not obvious what's going on in the far away center of the picture above, but every warm, sunny morning these turtles sun themselves on this log out in the middle of the pond.  I can't get any closer than this because once I start walking through the grass to get closer to the edge of the pond, the turtles jump into the water.  I've ruined several fine photo opportunities doing this.  What a happy spot this must be for them.  Who am I to intrude on their sunbathing?

Actually, their sunbathing is lifesaving I found out in this interesting article with an entertaining title:  The secret to turtle hibernation: butt breathing


~~~~~

I got in 2 miles of walking then headed home to get a shower before meeting some other mostly-retired-from-homeschooling mom friends for lunch.  

It was a good day.  



A muddy Youngs Creek






3 comments:

  1. I think, oddly enough, that yesterday was supposedly National Turtle Day' (at least there was something on our local news about it anyway).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WoW! I had no idea. But you're right. I just looked it up and I found that yesterday (the day I took the picture) was actually World Turtle Day.
      https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/turtle-day/

      Thanks for letting me know, Mary Anne!

      Delete
  2. What a nice place to walk Becki, you're lucky! Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete