Sunday, May 20, 2018

When The Crojo Goes...

Something has happened to me over the last couple of weeks.  Except for some weaving in of ends on one of my Spicier Life blankets, and crocheting a quick project here and there I seem to have lost some of my crojo.    I haven't been interested in crocheting much of anything this past week.

I've been thinking it's because I've got these two Spicier Life blankets in progress and that they are going soooo sloooowly.   I've never made a large blanket from DK weight yarn, and my goodness, it takes forever to see progress.   And after evaluating their size last week I realized I'm going to have to add a good number of rows (actually one or two whole sections) to get these anywhere close to being able to cover a person.  I don't understand how these (made according to the pattern) would be large enough for an adult-sized blanket.  

Anyway...  I was feeling just about over them already.  Was beginning to think it had been a big mistake to try to make two of these at the same time.  And I could just barely stand to look at them for the past little while.

Sigh.

But last night I made myself get one of them out and start crocheting again.  And I was pleasantly reminded how easy the pattern is.  And how much I enjoy crocheting them. So I guess I'm back in the saddle again.  



But with a different attitude.  These are projects I may just have to take breaks from, and they may take longer than I originally imagined.  Much longer.  At this point I'm putting aside any expectations of when I may finish these, or if I'll even continue to crochet them side by side all the way to the finish.   But seeing all those colors playing together reminds me that I do love this project.  And someday I'm going to be thrilled to finish them.

To see what other YOPpers are up to, visit our group on Ravelry!

Meanwhile I'm curious what others do when their knitting or crochet mojo takes a hike.  What do you do to inspire yourself to pick up hook or needles again and get going when motivation lags?







10 comments:

  1. Wow....a blanket in DK weight is quite a lofty goal. But it will be beautiful when completed. The colors you have chosen are so pretty. Hang in there. They will be completed at some point in time.

    When I lose my knitting mono I switch to crochet and vise versa. Also, if I do a quick project it gets me happy again. It's so easy to lose the mojo during the warmer months too. It is so hard to have large warm items laying in the lap when it's 100 degrees outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea how slow-going making a full-size blanket in DK weight yarn could be. I'm realizing my crojo has been suffering since going through so much stuff this past winter-early spring. When I look back at what I've done (after finally finishing that albatross, Last Dance blanket) it's mostly been smaller/quicker projects. And I know making them was an attempt at getting away from these Spicier Life blankets - and I felt guilty every time. Setting myself the goal of making one of these for a gift is truly what did it to me, I think.

      I know myself better than that. Setting deadlines and creating any kind of serious goal for an activity I do for pure pleasure is the surest way for me to loose interest in it. In fact, I can almost hear the death knell for my projects as I publish my plans for finishing them. (chuckling)

      Delete
  2. when my mojo takes a hike I usually switch up crafts or spend a couple of days looking through knitting magazines and ravelry patterns. It doesn't take too long to get back in the saddle. Glad you are enjoying your crochet again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary-Anne. You're right, once a person does the thing that works for them, getting back in the saddle feels almost effortless. Since picking up my Spicier Life blanket this weekend, I've worked for hours on it - wondering why I was feeling so "blocked" about it.

      Delete
  3. I'm with you on the Spicier Life blanket. Mine is in the time out bin at present, I don't even know why because I really like it but I can't persuade myself to pick it up again. I was only in the first section anyway so I might just restart it (there are some wavy parts that I don't like, I've been thinking about redoing them in a different hook size anyway). As for when my mojo runs off, well, actually I just let it run and get my camera out for a change. That usually helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's good to hear from someone who has worked this project. It's hard to explain how something so gratifying to crochet can also feel like such a burden. But no more. I'm showing these blankets who is boss and I'm not going to let them become that to me again. I hope. Wish me well in that. ;^)

      Delete
  4. I haven't tried that blanket yet, but I'd love to one day. I think I'd have to stick to a row a day. If I lose mojo on a craft, I take a break from it until I feel the need to start on it again. For example, I've been doing all of this sewing which I love but now I'm switching gears to cardmaking and a little of knitting now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know... your comment reminds me -- I've been wanting to pick up some embroidery work all week, but I wouldn't let myself because I thought I'd feel like I was abandoning these blankets. I also wouldn't let myself knit something small like a dishcloth, even - for the same reason. Somehow, though, I had let myself do smaller/quicker crochet projects because that didn't feel like I was abandoning the craft of crochet. And that felt alright. Safe, even. I think I was afraid I'd fall out with crochet completely if I let myself do a craft that wasn't crochet.

      Writing that out, it seems like such a goofball thing that my mind would think that way, but at the same time I know sometimes we abandon activities for years for no obvious reason. I've been stuck in my own little rut for a few months now - for understandable reasons as I look back - but it's time for me to climb out of the rut. And making the decision to do so feels so good. Thank you, Stefanie, for sharing what you do!

      Delete
  5. Having a large project to work on is always daunting, and it has to be even more so when you're working on two!! I think I'd be working on some smaller, easier to complete, projects alongside the bigger ones and that way you can give yourself a break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right. I started on some smaller/different projects this week. I've concluded I need to have something mindless to turn to when I want to take a break from these blankets.

      Delete