Sunday, March 3, 2019

Goodbye February!

Even though spring is more 3 weeks away, it's March and that means spring's a comin'!  And I am soooo glad about it.

February was not an normal month for me.  There were busy weeks sprinkled with long quiet, unproductive days all which left me feeling a bit - I don't know... kind of unsettled.  Or maybe just feeling kind of dull.  It wasn't bad - not by any means.  But I'm glad it's passed.  Goodbye February!

Last week was a mostly busy week that found my crojo waning, but I did manage to get this little baby blanket finished:

It's a simple Corner to Corner stitch pattern with a border made up of linen stitch, finished off with a sweet little scallop. 


There's just not much to say about it except, "another project finished, another one of those huge 1-lb skeins out of my stash!"  Yippee!

Late in the week I tried crocheting a pink baby blanket (with another of those huge 1-lb skeins), but the pattern calls for a hook that is larger than would normally be suitable for the yarn and the result is lots of splitting.  Ugh.  I've tried off and on in my free moments this weekend to keep going, but I'm calling it quits.  
The stitch pattern isn't inspiring me, and I really dislike working with a hook that is too large for the yarn.  Bah.  I'm putting it in time out for a bit while I decide what to do here.  


~~~~~

A yarny side note:

Last night we had friends over for pizza and a movie (it's a tradition we started with this family a couple of years ago).  We don't have enough seating for everyone, so three of the kids sprawled on cushions on the floor and covered themselves up with blankets.   I wish I had thought to take a picture.  The ones on the floor each chose a different crocheted blanket I had made -- the little girl asking for a specific one - she even asked me privately if she could use the one she had picked out the last time.  It was her favorite, she said.  That just melted my heart.

I'd love to give this blanket to her, but I'm also tickled that it's a special blanket she enjoys using when we host Dinner & a Movie Night at our house.  I'm well aware that we are making some good memories with this family and the power of a memory of a special blanket used when visiting could be greater than the everyday pleasure of owning it.   Then again, she might just swoon over it every time she enters her bedroom (it's big enough to cover a twin size bed).  And then again, she might just get tired of it if she saw it everyday and eventually she'd realize just how gawdy it is - and that it goes with nothing, really. 

Not to make more of this than it is, but while I'm mulling over the above thoughts, I'm curious if anyone has a thought to share.  Don't feel like you have to have a thought.  I'm just letting  you into my brain today.  Welcome.  😊


Meanwhile... to see what other YOPers are up to, 

yes, it is snowing again today...



2019 Yarn Stash-Down progress:  25.44/100 skeins




21 comments:

  1. Crojo - that's funny. I think you should let her know that the blanket is always hers when she comes to visit for movie night, and when she gets too old for that or moves out and heads into the world you can tell her she can take it with her - full of memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the response to the question, Mary Anne. That is a fun idea!

      Delete
  2. Love this side note! I would keep it there as her special one but you could make a blanket for her of similar colors for a special gift? 🤗 love that baby blue blanket!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth. That is another great idea!

      Delete
  3. I would make her another blanket, somewhat different to the one she loves with you. Then you would have a memorable gift to give her to enjoy and still the special memory of the one at your house for dinner and movie. Never under estimate the power of a good blanket. There was an old lady my cousins and I used to visit when we were younger and she had crochet blankets in her house. A couple of years ago one of my cousins asked me to make him a blanket, just like the one in the old ladies house we used to visit as a child and he was so thrilled when I completed it and handed it to him. I love the finished baby blanket Becki and think the linen and scallop edge stitch is a lovely way to finish it off. I love a C2C blanket but struggle on how to finish the edges off. I think you are right to leave the pink to one side and I'm sure a pattern will present itself soon for you to use with the yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Ruth... that is a great story. I can imagine your brother's joy when you gave him a blanket that touched a part of his child-heart. I love that.

      Delete
  4. I think Breathing Life had the perfect answer but also Ruth had a great idea too! I love your border to your C2C blanket. I may borrow that idea for my C2C whenever I get to that point. I need to measure it and see how big it is and how big I want it based on the yarn I have left.
    I like the other one too but I can understand the frustration...I've done that too but with a hook too small.
    Yesterday we had snow and this morning it is 13 degrees! In like a lion, out like a lamb! It's -24 in Iowa this morning where my family lives. Brr....but the daffodils are still blooming here and the hyacinths so they must know something and the Robins have arrived in droves! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra. I'm actually leaning toward just making a pink C2C blanket. It really does make a pretty result in a solid or semi-solid color. We had a bitter start to our week. Brrrr is right. Can't wait until my tulips bloom. Then I will know that spring is soon to follow!

      Delete
  5. What a pretty little blanket, and the border is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a tough decision to make. I like what Mary Ann said but also think Ruth's idea is great too. It would melt my heart too if a wee one was infatuated with one of my blankets. I love the border on the baby c2c blanket. So sorry the pink is not working out for you. I am sure you will find a pattern that will scream out to be made in pink.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, I too agree with Breathing Life’s suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are an amazing hooker *giggles*. You are killin it on the blanket WIPS and FOs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Thanks, Stef! I'm trying to kill a bunch of this massive stash! :)

      Delete
  9. I'm with others in thinking you should keep the blanket for her to use at your house, but think about gifting it to her when she moves on to college or other part of her life. As for February - I'm always happy to see the backside of it. It has always been a bad month for me since I started dealing with depression many years ago. Having said that, I have to say that this year I didn't notice it as much and I think that's because of having the new passion with my work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lost both my parents in the month of February (separate years, both many years ago), and I've come to recognize that that that reality has made an otherwise hard month anyway, doubly hard. But it's so under the surface I don't recognize it until the month is nearly over (they both died near the end of the month). I ended up working more this month, which might seem like a great idea, but for me, my work can isolate me from people even more than February normally would. OTOH, having meaningful-to-me work, I'm sure, helped the month to pass more quickly. I need to think on this and come up with a plan for sure. Thank you so much, MA.

      Delete
  10. I have been crocheting for about 5 years but have never tried the C2C pattern! Your baby blanket is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. Going now to check out your beautiful blog. I love discovering another crocheter. :)

      Delete
  11. I love the blue baby blanket. I don't think I can add any more to the discussion - I love all the suggestions. By the way if you're not enjoying combination of hook and yarn then I would frog and use it another time.

    ReplyDelete