Sunday, September 15, 2019

House projects begin...

Converting one of our now-empty bedrooms into DH's "study" is what's on the docket at the moment.  This is what it looked like yesterday after he taped it up to paint all the trim:



Before anyone gets excited, I will say upfront we're kind of boring when it comes to paint.  We're all in for beige.  I've actually picked out different shades of beige in different brands of paint, used in different houses, and I've ended up with the same basic beige color. Rather than fight it, I've decided to own it.  I've dubbed our basic wall (and trim) color, Beige-a-vu.  And while it may be boring, we rock it!  😉  

Husband is doing most of the painting (for which I am truly grateful).  I was involved in painting many rooms in this house over the first decade of living here (following the stripping of much wallpaper 😣).  Two decades in now, the thought of repainting them nearly does me in.  Physically, mentally, emotionally...   I was all for hiring it done this time around, but DH decided he would tackle it.  In this room, anyway.  

And without major involvement by me. 😗

In between various commitments that got me out of the house this past week, I kept myself busy picking out the carpet for the above room, shampooing the carpet in the family room (that's now drying and awaiting new furniture), and doing some general deep cleaning.  

BTW, this might be a good place to mention that I'm not really sure what "sharing these projects" here is supposed to look like.  Except for painting, I'm realizing our house "projects" are going to mainly consist of decluttering, organizing, and decorating.  

Except for some sorely needed furniture, I'm pretty committed to using what we have to decorate with, and finding frugal sources for items that are new.  While I can imagine the appeal of seeing how someone else does this, I'm suddenly realizing that sharing my decorating feels kind of vulnerable.  Funny that.  It never occurred to me until I started trying to imagine what to take pictures of.  And what might be interesting.  For example, I just deep cleaned and decorated (for fall) a little half-bath that makes me really happy at the moment, but a picture of it seems kind of...  I don't know...  weird?  Yes. Weird.  

And there's the issue of different tastes and styles. I wish I could honestly say I'm a minimalist (oh, how I wish), or that I had a "style",  but I'm mostly an eclectic life-time accumulator of stuff - most of which wasn't hand-picked by either of us.  So much of my "stuff" isn't even stuff that has great meaning to me.  Some does, but mostly... not. 

There are also rooms in our home that we are simply not going to spend the money redoing. Some rooms are so old and dated, they deserve a truly thoughtful approach to bringing them into the 21st century.  We're just not the ones who are going to do that right now.

So...  again...  I'm not sure what it may look like to share these projects here.  But I kind of hope I can give little glimpses into our home as we clean up, clear out, and make nicer - for however longer we may live here.


~~~~~


BTW, one of the activities I did this past week was go to an author talk/book signing - less than a mile from home.  The author was Susan Wiggs, and the first 100 registrants received a copy of her newest book, The Oysterville Sewing Circle.  I didn't get a free book, but it was an enjoyable way to spend an hour last Thursday evening.  I'd honestly, never before heard of this author (which, I'm sure is only an indication of how big the rock is I live under), but now I'm intrigued to check out her books.  Our county library is really good about scheduling author visits.  I've gone to a few - most of them small with local authors.  I'm thinking I might broaden my horizons and check them out more often.


~~~~~

And finally... not having worked with hook or needles all week, and suddenly feeling nearly desperate to start a small and quick doily yesterday, I set about to find my 99 Little Doilies book.  But find it, I could not.  It's not entirely my fault.  DH has temporarily dumped window valances and spare painting supplies in my "yarn room".   That's the excuse I'm using this week, anyway.  

So, what's a person to do?  If your first thought was that I picked up my Sacred Space blanket and started crocheting on it again, you would be wrong.  No... instead, I finally decided to start crocheting a scarf I've had in queue for making since April.

The stitch pattern is called Celtic Weave, and Bonnie Barker has provided a video tutorial for making this particular scarf.  This is all I've managed to do since starting it yesterday:



This is supposed to be an infinity scarf, so the wonky edge there at the bottom, I guess, gets resolved when I join the two ends.  The back side of this isn't very attractive so I don't know, for sure, how this works since wearing an infinity scarf involves twisting it around one's neck and exposing both sides.  So we'll see...


And that's pretty much it!  
To see what other YOPers are up to, 
you can visit their blogs by clicking on the links in my sidebar 👉





12 comments:

  1. Beige-a-vu! I love it! I'm the same Becki, I don't like colours on walls...well, neutral colours only. But I'm a white paint gal, all of our walls are white, I guess it's because I put lots of paintings up, I find that colour on the wall makes it too busy! Good luck with the reno! A frugal reno is the best kind! :) I like your scarf, the pattern is very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White would be my next choice. Our back hallway is called Dover White (Sherwin Williams, I think). I like how bright it is. I probably would have been happy with it in my whole house, but I was already a Beige-a-vu gal by the time I painted that space. And the only reason I chose a white was because we had just had black and white checkered vinyl put down there. I do love how clean (and did I say bright?) the space looks.

      Delete
  2. I am a neutral paint girl too. I also hear you about the vulnerability of sharing your decorating or progress. Do what makes you happy and comfortable. Okay? Hope you find your doily book soon. So annoying when you can't find something you want, which is a good reason for de-cluttering and organizing. Since I did that I can almost always put my finger on something I need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement, Mary Anne. If I don't find the book soon, I will surely uncover it when my yarn/craft room get's its makeover. Purging will need to happen in there.

      Delete
  3. I have gone from being a wallpaper person, to a vivid color paint person, to a plan Jane vanilla color wall person. Age does that to a person, I believe. I don't feel any of us will judge your decorating style. I have absolutely no style of any kind in my house. My furniture is what we find comfy to sit on. My colors are what make me happy in that moment. I have 'stuff' hanging, standing leaning all over to add interest. The only theme that is consistent in my home are the crosses that flow from the kitchen, through the dining room and into the family room and down the hallway. 99% of them have been gifts from friends and family. So, as far as I am concerned, if you post photos of your home as you are working on it, you will be just fine.

    I hope you find your doily book soon. But the scarf you started on is a great work of texture. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me started on wallpaper. I love it on other people's walls. But I will never (happily) buy another house that is wallpapered. 'Cuz I now know how hard it can be to remove if the walls were not prepared properly. I love how you describe your house. It does make me feel more comfortable. I hope I find the doily book soon, too. I need to make a doily!!!

      Delete
  4. I am a beige-a-vu person as well. Well, maybe tan-a-vu. Makes a great base for my stuff.
    I know what you mean about being a little timid to share, but please do. I love seeing others and how they do things. I will love seeing it. I am not a minimalist either. Just can't do it. I have too many treasures!
    You just go ahead and take those pictures and share.
    I find I hardly buy anything too much new these days. I have plenty stuffed away to change up things and walk through thrift stores or head to Mom's if I need anything.
    I love the color of the scarf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy. Your pictures of your home have inspired me too. I will find ways to share my home - even if the pictures are just glimpses. I love when others bring me into their personal spaces.

      Delete
  5. I'm the opposite....I'd go FOR ALL THE COLORS...however Hubs is a house painter and he won't....although he loves the teal color I picked out for the downstairs bedroom...so maybe.....Could you just join the scarf as a cowl and not an infinity, if the back does not appeal to you? I understand what yous aid about the vulnerability about sharing...I felt that way about the Yarn Loft....I love how Lucy of Attic24 shares her space...just little glimpses....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remembering Lucy's pretty blog your comment above sent me there to check it out again. Mostly I see gorgeous scenic pictures, but the few pics taken in her home do give me ideas. Thank you for mentioning her. I also found at least one new blanket to consider making. :) Your pictures of your Yarn Loft (and the whole house) inspire me and give me courage to give this a try.

      Delete
  6. Did I miss the memo about redecorating posts this week? Is it the Fall version of Spring cleaning? Don't get me wrong...I love it! I've always loved to be motivated by seeing others projects of ALL kinds. I wish some 'minimalist' would rub off on me! I am a bit of a hoarder but it's not all my fault. I was left with my parents stuff in this house and now Jim's although no furniture there and a retirement areas is a hard place to get rid of things! I used to paint and wallpaper every house I lived in but I am tired and just doing those few steps gave me a stiff neck and the bending over...I guess this is what old age is like? I had a nice house that I had everything 'finished' and now this....everything here needs redoing and I don't have the money to hire someone...so if it's to be done I guess it will be me! LOL!
    I love your cowl/scarf. As usual you choose the prettiest projects. I like that stitch and it looks like it will make a nice warm cowl. Have a great week! Hugs ~ Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! I noticed that several of us seem to be on the same page. All I know is DH finally got a fire lit to do some things we've been putting off. Since it's keeping me from working much with yarn I figure I might as well tell about it in my YOP posts. Let's just hope it's not a Year of HOUSE Projects!

      Delete