Sunday, September 29, 2019

Who knew a dishcloth could be so complicated?!?

Today is one long answer to a question I received last week.

I was asked if I had a preferred number of stitches to cast on when I knit dishcloths.  And my answer is YES!  But...  of course, as with many things, it depends...

What it depends on are the details regarding a particular pattern, as well as yarn and needles used.  Fortunately I've kept some notes - because once upon a time I imagined making a drawerful of neat and tidy knitted dishcloths, and my notes were going to eventually insure that every cloth I knitted would be perfect and uniform.  ðŸ˜„😆😂

Of course, the perfectly uniform dishcloths never materialized, but since I took notes as I was trying I'm going to share those notes here for anyone who might be interested - or for myself if no one else cares.



The first thing I settled on was the size dishcloth I truly like to use.  I used to think I liked dishcloths about 8 inches square, but I found that knitted cotton dishcloths stretch out a great deal when wet.  

While I went on for some time positive that I liked 8-inch square dishcloths, somewhere along the way I must have knitted a smaller cloth and realized that it was easier for me to handle.  Through some trial and error, I finally settled on a knitted cotton cloth approximately 7.25 - 7.5 inches square as being pretty perfect for me.  

To be sure, though...  A cloth that size shrinks to something that looks kind of silly once it's gone through a hot wash and a tumble dry.  But as knitted cotton is prone to do, these cloths will usually stretch out to over their original 7.25-inch selves once they're soaking wet. And the size they are when wet is what truly matters.

The size needles one prefers to knit with will also affect the final size of a cloth.  All my "kitchen cotton" is worsted weight and a lot of patterns will call for needles sized 6-8 for that weight yarn, but I get my best result with a size 4 needle.  

I use circular needles because I prefer the feel of the small needles in my hands as I knit a small project like a dishcloth.  And, in case anyone is curious... I use cheap aluminum circulars with slightly kinky cables.  They work just dandy.



Different cotton yarns will also affect the final size of a cloth.  My favorite cotton is Hobby Lobby's I Love This Cotton, but I've experimented with various kitchen cottons.  


I also have Knit Picks cotton and Crafter's Secret 
(both slightly thinner worsted cottons than those above)


Keep in mind that your tension may produce different size cloths than I've produced.  Generally, I'm neither a tight, nor loose knitter.  But I do find my stitches loosen up with purling, so sometimes my cloths get a little on the loose side (which, I'm sure, is one reason I like to use smaller needles).

Also, have you noticed that knitted cotton shrinks lengthwise, while crocheted cotton shrinks widthwise?  Weird, I know.  But I've seen it with my own eyes.  Because of this, when I knit a cotton cloth, I always try to knit it a bit longer (maybe 1/4 - 1/2 inch longer) than it is wide.  That way after it's washed and dried it's most likely to come out square. Just the way I like a dishcloth.  

The notes below apply to my two favorite dishcloth patterns:  Boxes (to which I add a garter stitch edging all around), and DW Darrell Waltrip Dishcloth.   

The Boxes pattern makes a pretty cloth (especially with solid yarn) that is flexible and slightly nubby.  Not quite scrubby nubby.  Just nubby enough to be interesting.

Boxes Dishcloth

The DW Dishcloth (below) makes a denser, thicker cloth that makes up for its slight sacrifice of flexibility with the fun way it has with variegated yarns:
DW Darrell Waltrip Dishcloths

If you're still with me, it's finally time to get to the specifics.  I'll try to be briefer and to the point here.   My notes aren't fancy.  But being basic, I hope they're understandable to anyone who knows enough (and cares enough) to be wanting to knit a dishcloth.  Keep in mind, your tension (and therefore size of cloth) may vary from mine.

-------

Thick cotton yarns :


Lily’s Sugar n’ Cream, size 4 needles, CO 38 stitches, cloth measures 8.25” x 8.25”
Peaches & Cream (solid), size 4 needles, CO 38 stitches, cloth measures 8” x 9”
Peaches & Cream (solid), size 4 needles, CO 36 stitches, cloth measures 7.75” x 8.25” 

My preferred size cloth with either of these thicker yarns is 7.25 - 7.5 inches wide.  I usually get this size using size 4 needles, and a CO of 34 stitches.

Slightly thinner yarns:
Peaches & Cream Prints, size 4 needles, CO 38 stitches, cloth measures 7.75” x 8.25” 
Premier Home Cotton Multi Grande, size 4 needles, CO 38 stitches, cloth measures 7.25” x 7.75”
Premier Home Cotton (solid), size 4 needles, CO 38 stitches, cloth measures 7” x 7.5”

Knit Picks Cotton (solid), size 5 (or 6) needles, CO 38 stitches, cloth measures 8" square.

I like a larger cloth for washing face and body with, so I worked up some according to these specifics:
Sugar n’ Cream or Peaches & Cream, size 4 needles, CO 44 stitches, cloth measures 9" x 9.75"

Here's a picture showing the size difference between my preferred dishcloth size (orange), and my preferred face and body washcloth (variegated):




In the end, it does seem to me that one needs to work a pattern once to see how large it's going to be and then figure what changes are needed to get the size of cloth one prefers.  Adapting the size can be a matter of changing needle sizes, or figuring out the the number of stitches in a particular stitch pattern (plus stitches needed for a border) and changing the the number of stitches cast on.
And, in the end, a little steam (holding a steam iron close above a finished cloth) and giving a little tug here and there will make any dishcloth look a bit better than when it first comes off the needles.

I'm sure this is all more than anyone wanted to know about what I've learned knitting dishcloths.  But I hope, if you like your cloths larger (or even smaller) than I like them, that I've offered some helpful information to give you ideas for how to adapt a pattern to whatever size you like in a cloth, and according to what yarn and needles you use.


Happy Knitting!






To see what other YOPers are up to, 
you'll find links to their blogs over there in my sidebar.  👉



16 comments:

  1. Wow.....you have really done some in depth work with your cloths. I may need to try making smaller cloths. Mine are all 8" or 9" square when they come off the needles. I never thought of going done several needle sizes and seeing how they work for me. Thanks for all the above info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Marsha. Thank you for reading today's post. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much, I found that really useful and wondered why my squares are becoming rectangular, I was using 4mm with sugar ‘n cream yarn so I think that’s a US size 6, I’m going to try on the smaller needles next one at make. I haven’t washed and tumble dried yet but will be tomorrow with the Mundane Monday Laundry tasks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about a US knitting needle being 4mm. It didn't occur to me to list my sizes in mm's.

      Delete
    2. And I thought it might be worth mentioning... I don't wash my cloths before gifting them. Maybe I ought to add a tag saying something to the effect that they will shrink, but stretch out again when wet. ;^)

      Delete
  3. Such lovely dishcloths, they must really make you happy while you do the dishes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love pulling out a fresh (even if shrunken) dishcloth to do the dishes. DH asks me why I pull a new one out every day (or sometimes more often). My question is "Why not?!?"

      Delete
  4. You have the heart of a teacher and a scientist all rolled into one! Thank you for that info and the reasoning behind it. Lovely cloths by the way too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sam! I always love your thoughtful comments. :)

      Delete
  5. You are the dishcloth knitting queen. Thank you for all the information. I have some scrubby cotton and I think I will try one of those boxy patterned ones. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I've never worked with the scrubby yarn. I'm kind of scared to. I'll enjoy reading about your experience, Mary-Anne. :)

      Delete
  6. so fun! I love sugar and cream because it is a thicker yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely good notes Becki - thank you. Last time I made these I ended up giving them as washcloths with a bar of homemade soap. Have no idea if the cloths got used as I intended or if they ended up being used as dishcloths!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love every colour you've chosen for your dishcloths Becki, they are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've made a plenty of dishcloths in fun colors which are fun to see. I bought a ball of Knit Picks Dishy, I think it's called, to try as many have liked working with it.

    ReplyDelete