Sunday, November 22, 2020

A little of this and that...

Having gotten myself in gear with my Linen & Threads sampler I managed to make a bit of a dent in Part 4 this week.  While you can't tell from the picture (below), Part 4 is a BIG design. While I spent hours on it this past week, it's probably only about a quarter done.  Why does one big design feel bigger than two or even three smaller ones I wonder...


Even though it's slow going, it's always fun watching a design take shape. 

~~~~~


Next up...   Lucy at Another Day blog gets credit for this next idea.  Last week Lucy mentioned that she is bagging up mini skeins and creating her own advent calendar.  What a great idea!   Lucy explains her motivation for making her own, but my motivation (in addition to not needing any more yarn) is that I've lost some interest along the way, and this might just be a kick start I need to more seriously dig back into my yarns and crochet threads. 

I decided to come up with some easy projects that I might be able to complete in a day or so.  I'm packaging up different yarns and threads, with the plan being to open up a bag each day of Advent and hopefully be inspired to make a thing.



Lest you think it might get overwhelming, or simply not possible to complete a project each day, I've thought of that already...

First, I've chosen very simple, and familiar (to some degree) projects.   And we're talking dishcloths, small doilies, bookmarks, small cross stitch motifs to add to my Linen & Threads' sampler...  stuff like that. The point (in my mind, anyway) isn't so much a variety of projects, but rather the point is to dig into my yarns and get my fingers busy with it again.

And secondly, keeping with my "go with the flow" sort of attitude when it comes to crafting, I'm not going to burden myself with rules and expectations of having to finish everything.  In fact, I give myself permission to completely skip a day (or days) of opening a package.  If I end up with unopened packages at the end of Advent, then the fun just extends beyond that time frame.  

So you see, it's all good!  I'm even using up some years-old paper bags, so I'm decluttering as well.



I don't think my large basket is going to hold it all as I've only got about 8 days of projects bagged up here.  I've got another week to decide on what projects and yarns and threads will get bagged up.  Shouldn't be a problem to pull it all together by next Sunday's post and then I'll be ready to begin.

Then each week during advent I'll enjoy showing in my weekly YOP post what I've completed that week.

~~~~~

And finally, this weekend, I got started on a large project that I hope to have finished by Christmas.  Youngest (25 yo) son asked if I'd make him a new crocheted blanket.  He picked out the colors and asked for a ripple pattern.  

Just a peeky peek this week!

A lot of rows to go, but other than figuring out widths of the color changes it's a pretty mindless project.   And while I'd love to have it finished by Christmas, I'm not going to stress over that either.

In case you haven't picked up on it, I am very much about not stressing right now.  It's been an eventful year - in so many respects.  I'm going to do my best to keep my little corner of the world peaceful.






31 comments:

  1. Mellow is a good path now. In fact it's always good to hold down stress. Especially when we find we're imposing pressure in ourselves, as I do, if I don't look out. Good for you for planning projects to enjoy, not just get through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the little bit of planning combined with not knowing what each day's bag will actually hold that makes this such a perfect (for me) idea.

      Delete
  2. Oh boy, you’ve taken Lucy’s great idea and sprinkled some gold dust on it. There’s always the 12 days of Christmas they could merge into as well so as you say no pressure to open them all on the set days. I look forward to seeing all your lovely projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of that - "sprinkled with gold dust." :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, I do love this idea! How I wish I could see to do small projects because I have the perfect thing that would work for this. I found really cute cross stitched designs for little things to make to use for an advent calendar and packaging one design up for each day would be such fun. They're little so each only could (probably) easily be finished in a day. I can't play along but I'm going to live through you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small cross stitches WOULD be perfect for this. :) I'm sorry you can't see to do something like that now, but I do understand. :(

      Delete
  4. What a lovely idea! And so good to also let yourself off the hook as needed. But getting inspiration for each day, and digging through older stash, is such a great way to be mindful during Advent and craft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christi! Mindful sounds good. I have a great audio "read" (going to share about it tomorrow). It, and some youtube videos to put me in the mind of Advent would be great accompaniments to my daily projects.

      Delete
    2. I listen to a podcast called SheReadsTruth. They release Bible studies throughout the year and each Monday release a podcast talking about the coming week's daily study. Might be an interesting listen for you, while being mindful this Advent season. It isn't a certain denomination, just Christian and Bible based.

      Just sharing - no pressure. ; D

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Christi! No pressure felt. ;^) I think you have mentioned this to me in the past. I will check it out. I definitely need some uplifting stuff to listen to while I crochet or knit or stitch. Radio or Youtube "talk shows" (of all stripes) are starting to get on my nerves.

      Delete
  5. Golly gee. You did well on your linen & threads sampler. It is so pretty. I would never have thought of doing a piece all in one color. But how nice not having to keep changing colors as you go. What pattern are you using for your son's blanket? The color is quite soothing. How clever of you and Lucy to think of making your own advent bags. I looked at purchasing one this year but, oh my, they are so expensive. It will be fun to see what all you have to play with in the next 24 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not having to change floss often is definitely a big plus in using one color. If I were to choose again, I might have chosen a slightly variegated (or tonal) floss. I didn't even realize DMC makes these. But I'm thinking I'm going to like this in red too. Lucy gets full credit for this advent idea. I just took it and ran. :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It even sounds lovely when you put it that way. :)

      Delete
  7. Your sewing is coming on really well it's looking lovely. The advent calendar is a great idea to use up all those odd balls, I have so many things on the go at the moment I wouldn't have the time, I'm looking forward to seeing what you make and how the crochet blanket progresses, have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your go with the flow attitude! Why stress over things that should bring joy?

    The idea of making your own advent with supplies you already have is BRILLIANT! If you've forgotten what you put in each bag, EVEN BETTER! I'm going to file this idea away, I have a lot going on craftwise right now, but in the future this could be the perfect thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what I'm putting in each bag, of course, as I'm doing it. But when I put the numbers on, I don't know which yarn or thread color is inside. For the kitchen cotton, I'm going to let the yarn dictate what cloth I make, but for threads, I'm going to draw both a bag of thread and a project so I won't even be giving thought to that part (except that I may make a small note on a bag if the color lends itself best to a particular type of project - this part will be clearer, I'm thinking as I show the finished projects). Anyway, I'm hoping all of that is enough of a "surprise" to bring a little excitement to the moment. (chuckling)

      Delete
  9. I love your cross stitch. What a beautiful design. What a great idea for your Advent! I can't wait to see what you make with your threads and yarn. I could use ideas for smaller projects. How nice that your son wants something his Mom has made for him. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and yes...relax, kick back, and stay mellow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sam. If I truly carry this through, it will certainly make my weekly YOP posts a bit more interesting - for me, anyway. :)

      Delete
  10. You have lots of lovely and interesting projects planned . . . and I love the "no stress" factor! (I'm all about that too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so much stress "out there" if one keeps on top of current events. I'm feeling a need for escape at the moment.

      Delete
  11. Lovely idea about creating your own advent calendar of projects. My advent project this year is another gnome - she will be releasing clues and other tidbits throughout december. I can't wait for it to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your gnomes. I can't wait to see your latest!

      Delete
  12. Amen to no stressing. This year has had enough of that. It is time to let it go. I like your idea for the yarn. I always give myself grace to change my mind or skip things. Your cross stitch project is going to be so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally embrace changing my mind about crafty plans. ;^)

      Delete
  13. Not stressing is a really good idea!!!! :) and it helps on so many levels!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Me too. No stress in my corner of the world I occupy because there is already enough stress everywhere else. Deadlines be damned!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had a (serious) deadline for a few years now. It's really pretty amazing.

      Delete
  15. That's a creative advent to come up with so you'll be using what you have.

    ReplyDelete