Saturday, August 7, 2021

Making Space...

I almost wasn't going to post this week because I hadn't managed to declutter much, but then I remembered that middle son came last weekend and took away some things, and I have pictures!

Then, today I spent a bit of time going through a small linen closet I use to store scrap yarn balls, finished projects waiting for their purpose to be revealed, and some other miscellaneous crafty stuffs, and decided to rehome some of it.

So, in the end, I came up with a respectable amount of stuff.  I'll let the pictures mostly speak for themselves:

S-T-R-E-T-C-H!!!

Just couldn't reach...

Aahhh...  there we go, everything secure in back


Loaded up and ready to roll...

Humoring mom with one last parting shot...

So long, Son!  
And thank you for helping me with my challenge!  😁

Since much was boxed up by the time I got out to the garage, there was no way I could count items, but I'm going to declare 20 things gone that middle son carted off.  I know that under-represents what he took home with him, but I'm good with that.

For my haul today:

Some more things I've been saving for the yet-to-appear grandchildren.
I'm growing less inclined to save things for them.

I decided to rehome these crocheted and knitted items 
- just going to donate them.

One way or another these sewing tutorials above that my mother-in-law had and a "course" she completed are all going to find a new home.  The sewing lessons will likely be tossed, but I'm going to let sister-in-law make that decision.  All I know is, I enjoyed looking at them, but it's time for them to leave my house.

And hopefully, someone will find a use for these yarny ball scraps.  
Do you think?


So with some underestimating of what has left, or will soon leaving here, I count 43 items.

Making Space Week 42:  538 things gone!


462 more things to hunt down and clear out 'till I meet my goal! And 10 more weeks to do it - if I've counted correctly.
 


~~~~~


Now to address a question asked in regards to a post I wrote a couple of weeks ago where a reader was puzzled by the large number of dishtowels I own.  

I totally understand!  And I think I can clear up what may be puzzling, or at least give a glimpse into how I use the prolific number of kitchen towels I own.

In a week or week-and-a-half's time I almost always go through the 25 or so dishtowels that fit in the kitchen drawer I've assigned them to.  And when I have a load, I launder them - actually, I hope I don't blow anyone's mind with this, but I sometimes do two loads of kitchen towels and dishcloths a week because I separate the white towels from the colored towels and dishcloths. I try to stagger their use, though, and I often wash darks one week, and whites the next (putting the freshly washed cloths in the back of the drawer).  There is no schedule.  I just wash dish towels and cloths when I've run out of the whites and when I've run out of the colored towels and cloths.

It probably would have been helpful if I had explained that we wash and dry by hand every single dish and piece of silverware and pot and pan used. Every day.  Two or three times a day we do dishes.  I know it may sound a bit archaic in 2021, but we haven't owned a dishwasher for the last 23 years - since moving to this house that didn't have one, and without remodeling the kitchen one did not fit.  It seemed odd at first, but it soon became part of the pattern of our lives.  While studies have determined that some dishwashers may use less water than hand-washing does, I believe I can honestly say that washing dishes by hand doesn't take much (possibly, any) longer than rinsing, pretreating, stacking, unloading, and sometimes having to dry still damp dishes from a dishwasher.  

It's just doesn't seem like a big deal to wash dishes by hand.  In fact, it's often a peaceful activity for me.  When I stand at my kitchen sink I spend a fair amount of time looking out of the window.  I've watched the neighbor kids grow up, and my own boys playing outside.  I've watched the seasons change, and the shadows in the back yard and on the deck change their orientation as the year progresses.  I've been alerted to many beautiful sunsets that called me to interrupt the dishwashing and go outside and see the whole big sky myself.  I've also shared this task with the other members of my family. Hubs washes the dishes fairly often, and our boys grew up washing dishes by hand.  And while they all have dishwashers in their own homes now, they don't seem to flinch at the idea of washing dishes after a family holiday meal.  Sometimes they even volunteer.  

That said, all of this does take a number of dishcloths and dishtowels.  And when I say dishtowels, I mean tea towels as well as terry cloth towels.  I find, anymore, that I mix and match what I dry dishes with. Once I learned how to wash terry cloth towels so they didn't attract lint, I was golden - I often prefer them now for drying dishes.

Add to the daily dishwashing, when I'm doing serious cooking or baking, I can use several towels in a cooking session - washing and drying my hands after handling something messy, sometimes wiping up a spill, or even grabbing a towel to hold onto something hot, or to provide a quick pad for putting a hot pot on the counter. Sometimes I use a fresh towel to blot water off just-washed lettuce, or to dry any produce I might be washing off. Is it becoming clear how I can go through so many dishcloths?

Add to all of that, I am pretty fastidious about kitchen towels and dishcloths being fresh (for example, I never use a towel I've wiped my hands on to dry dishes or produce).  And while hub will try to get away with saving a dishtowel for drying dishes later in the day, I consider if it's gotten wet enough to have to dry out, it's used, and it goes into the category of "dirty" and into the collection of towels waiting to be washed. To dry them while they wait to be washed, I hang them on the oven handle or take them to the laundry room where I have a basket dedicated to dishtowels and cloths and I often drape the wet ones over the edge of the basket - tossing them into the basket to collect when they're dry.

So maybe by now it's not so puzzling that I would keep 25 towels handy in a kitchen drawer.  The 50 or so in storage are probably superfluous, but I do enjoy rotating different towels into the kitchen drawer with changing seasons (mainly, we're talking autumn, Christmas, winter and spring/summer. If we had an automatic dishwasher, I imagine the number of towels I'd keep could be cut down pretty drastically. Or maybe not. Having a generous supply of kitchen towels has become my habit.  I have a whole system for washing them, and rotating them in and out of the kitchen drawer on a near-weekly basis, and the linen closet seasonally.  All that said, I'm open to change.  Who knows...  maybe someday I'll have a dishwasher again and will only keep a skeleton crew of towels and cloths for the kitchen business.  

By the way, washing dishcloths by themselves is, I believe, what keeps them lint free.  And maybe my front loading washing machine.  I do love that thing.  Years ago, we had a top-loading washing machine that didn't have an normal agitator.  It left lint on darks when I washed them, so I imagine it left lent on everything.  I was never so glad that an appliance needed replacing.

And that, dear reader, is all I have for this weekend!  Thank you for stopping by!



18 comments:

  1. 😁 That was a great explanation of dish towels, tea towels, and dishcloths. Perfectly describes my situation as well. Now I must say that I would like a dishwasher because I believe dishes might be better sanitized in that scalding hot water. Not sure. And not sure if I will ever find out. Your son has a perfectly pleasant expression as if he is more than happy to help. I cleaned out a linen closet and so there will be a lot more to haul to the transfer station.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty wordy for a discussion about humble kitchen linens, but I'm glad you related, Vee. Having had experience in the past with our dishwashers etching glass, I have a feeling that I'll always end up washing and drying glasses by hand. Funny... I always use the sanitizing cycle on the washing machine when I wash the kitchen towels (and I love that feature), but I've never even thought about sanitizing dishes. :)

      Delete
  2. I have never found washing dishes by hand a "chore". It gives me time to be alone with my thoughts. I do have a dishwasher and use it for most if my dishes. However, my pits and pans get hand washed just cause. I have terry towels and tea towels too. Tea towels are used mostly for my baking and terry for my hands and dishes. My hand made washcloths get changed daily too. That means I have 10 of those in my drawer. If I did not have a dishwasher I would have a stash of towels like you do. As it is, I have over a dozen tea towels as well as terry towels. They do get dirty quickly.

    That bag of bots and bobs of yarn would have made several knitters happy who are making those mitered square memory blankets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment reminds me that sometimes when hubs says he'll do the dishes, I decline the offer because truly I like being alone with my thoughts. Now, sometimes I happily let him do them, or even ask if he will. When I'm tired no amount of alone time makes standing there doing dishes fun. It all just depends.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Thanks for answering, I feel a bit embarrassed I asked but I do now understand. We do have a dishwasher and so it’s usually only our mugs and the odd pan we wash by hand. It takes about a week for us to fill the dishwasher and have loads of plates so we get away with usually just running it once a week. I only change and wash our towels once a week too, I always figured that if it has just been used to dry clean things then it’s still clean really. Just an opposite mind set I guess, our hands and dishes are super clean from washing the dishes and rinsing them so as long as they dry quickly then in my head they are still clean 😂 So we get by owning 3 tea towels (dish towels) and 2 hand towels for the kitchen (that I wove 😀). When I eventually get weaving, I will have some more, but don’t imagine I will change/wash them more frequently. I have quite a lot of dish cloths that I knit and these are changed twice a week, but laundered once a week with the other towels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Liz, please don't feel embarrassed. I loved that your questions provided fodder for a post. I tried to write with humor, but sometimes that doesn't come across in the written word. I almost wrote that I'm neurotic when I landed on the word fastidious about changing out dishtowels. I don't think I'm truly neurotic about the cleanliness of dishcloths, and I'm certainly not that way about my house in general, but my husband is much closer to you on the spectrum of how these things are considered. Reading about your simple dishcloth use is really refreshing. I don't think I could ever manage with so few cloths, but I love that you challenged me to consider all I really need is one drawer-full of them. That number would truly satisfy my "need". On this journey to whittling down our stuff, while I'm not striving for minimalism, I do tap in to minimalist's thoughts on a regular basis. It's helpful to consider how having only what we need and use can make our lives simpler and maybe happier.

      Delete
  4. I am with you on the dishwashing. My daughter can not understand why I don't use it. When she was at home, she was the unloader. I didn't mind loading it but I literally loath unloading it. Now that the kids are gone we just wash everything. I don't think it takes a bit longer to do it. I absolutely wouldn't miss it. I use a lot of dishtowels too for the same reasons you mentioned.
    Some of your items are quite interesting. I would have spent way too much time in your MIL's sewing stuff:)
    I am certain someone will want the yarn pieces. My church uses a lot of yarn. When I was volunteering at church during the week preparing preschool materials I felt like I was constantly cutting yarn into pieces. They used them in all kinds of little crafty things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent a lot of time with my MIL's sewing stuff last summer. Sorting, donating, sometimes tossing, deciding to keep some supplies. It felt like a privilege to be able to do that. I felt like I got to know her on a whole new level.

      Delete
  5. Yay for truck loads of stuff leaving - happy son/happy mom, for sure!
    As for the towel discussion - when covid hit and we started doing most of our laundry by hand (you don't want to visit our communal machines in our building unless you absolutely have to these days because we're once again 'between' building superintendents and the cleanliness factor is lacking) we rapidly stopped drying our dishes and instead simply leave them to air dry. Amazing how that cuts down in tea towel use!!
    As for those yarn bits - I'm sure someone will find a good use for them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to leave dishes drying in the rack and hubs tends to dry them and put them right away. I tried to convince him it's more sanitary to let things air dry. He either didn't buy that, or his compulsion demands that he "finish the job". ;^)

      Delete
  6. What a thoughtful son to help you with your challenge! 😉 But every little bit helps!

    Growing up, and for half of my married life, I did not have a dishwasher. I love my dishwasher and have no desire to go back, so you and I are not alike in that way. However, we are very much alike in the realm of kitchen towels. I actually cringe if a kitchen towel is damp and straight into the laundry it goes! ~shudder~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thoughtful son tried to tell me the things he took away that were his didn't count toward my total. I told him indeed they did, and besides, I make the rules of this little challenge. :^) Yes, to damp towels. Yuk is all I can think to say. Well, that and "wash that thing!"

      Delete
  7. Congrats on getting rid of all that 'stuff"! I'm not sure if having a dishwasher would help you cut down on towels. I have a dishwasher and I still have items I hand wash but I refuse to dry dishes. When I cook though I can go through several towels and I always have a fresh towel and dishcloth and scrubbie each day. I could not do without my dishwasher. Standing over the sink doing dishes hurts my back so it's 15 minutes max before I need to "sit a spell"! LOL! Get ready....start making your life easier as old age is right around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I'm cooking is when I dirty the most towels. Continually washing my hands off and drying them, and once the towel is really damp, I'm done using it and can fortunately grab another quick.

      Delete
  8. That was sweet of your son to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it was so good to see him. He's a pretty good sport when helping us out. :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Becki! :) Those are some happy photos of your son! Good that he's taking some of your "clutter" items. It's nice to give things away to people we love. The sewing tutorials look so nice! Oh, geez, every time I come here I keep getting reminded that I NEED TO DECLUTTER...I'm not ready yet lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do dishes by hand too. I love doing dishes. There is something meditative about it - guests sometimes try to horn in on the dishes and I have to politely but firmly state how much I love doing dishes. I had a dishwasher for about one year when I was pregnant with my daughter and my son was two and I was working, but it really wasn't a time saver and it definitely took up space I couldn't afford in my wee kitchen. I, however, am not as fastidious as you with washing the dish towels - but I do wear an apron while I cook that I wipe my hands on, and my husband and son do use a lot of cloths when they cook, but I use far less than 25 in a week - maybe closer to ten. I admire your organizational ability to have decluttered so many things. Wow!

    ReplyDelete