Saturday, August 28, 2021

Making Space...

I decided to go through all my kitchen cabinets and drawers this week, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I don't have a lot of superfluous stuff in there.  I imagined I would have all sorts of strange things in the deep recesses of a few hard-to-reach corners of my old kitchen cabinets, but I didn't.  Not much anyway.

That said, I did manage to painlessly purge some items that I never seem to use, or that are old and I have better versions of:

I'm not going to itemize everything, but I'd like to highlight a few things.  First of all, an old plastic ice cream bucket that's probably 20 years old (or more).  Normally, I wouldn't count garbage or recyclables in my Making Space challenge, but this bucket has been under my kitchen sink holding an odd collection of sponges, non-abrasive scrubbing pads, plastic scrubbies, rubber gloves (that I rarely use) and some cleaner I was given when we bought our glass top stove - 15? years ago.  I haven't used it since discovering how effective vinegar and baking soda are.  I threw away the old stuff, and put what I'm keeping in a nice rectangular basket I had in my stash so everything fits much better.  And I'm finally recycling this relic of bygone days when we use to buy ice cream by the bucket-full for our family of five.  

Also, there's a jar candle that needs disposing of. Again, normally, I'd just clean out and recycle the jar and not mention it, but this candle has taken a long time to burn down.  It's cause for celebration, so it gets counted.   The paper napkins are being removed from storage and put where we will use them up, but everything else is either being donated, tossed or recycled.

And I spent some time this week going through more Taste of Home Magazines...


And I culled through my recipe files and am recycling duplicates of recipes, or recipes that no longer look like something I'd fix.  I'm counting the pile of cards as one thing gone.  I have 22 TOH magazines above that will soon make their way to the library free shelf so added to the kitchen stuff in the first picture, I'm getting rid of 54 things this week!  

Making Space Week 45:  714 things gone!




7 comments:

  1. Every bit counts when clearing out stuff. The little nutmeg graters are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo! Good on you for getting rid of a lot more things. As for ice cream buckets I remember when I was growing up every summer my parents would buy two big containers (5 gallon I think) that came in a heavy-weight brown cardboard container - direct from the ice cream factory. Always vanilla and butterscotch because they were the only ones my dad liked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite an impressive count you have going on. I slacked off from decluttering this week. You keep me inspired to keep at it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Impressive. I think in my world, I'd be keeping the plastic ice cream bucket. 🤦🏻‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
  5. There’s always that one area that has the most eclectic of items, ours is a basket I made years ago and it has odds and ends just like your collection, plus some take away menus 😂

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go, girl! Indeed, every little bit counts! My daughter and I cleaned out one section of a closet last week . . . which resulted in three jigsaw puzzles and a stack of books heading off to the thrift store (along with a bag of shoes from my mom's closet). A few things went to my son's home. That rearranging led to getting a box of books out of the guest room closet and finding space for those books on the bookshelf, although a few from the box headed to the thrift store too. What started out as a ten minute tidying up job . . . well, it kind of grew, but we accomplished a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done, it's amazing what we accumulate in our kitchen cupboards, I find things I can't even remember buying. Have a good week. xx

    ReplyDelete