Saturday, August 14, 2021

Making Space...

A beautiful weekend here, I was up and out early (for me) for a spontaneous meetup with a friend for coffee (well, she had coffee, I had breakfast).  Sitting outside, downtown, across from the courthouse, I'm reminded what a quaint little town we live in.  We've been trying to decide if an eventual move will mean buying a house somewhere else in the county, maybe a little closer to the "city" (because there is a dearth of houses for sale here), or staying in Small Town USA. 

It would be interesting to hear from any of you who've moved from a home of many years.  Did you stay in the same area, or did you move elsewhere?  We're not interested in moving far away (like to warmer climes), but we're beginning to challenge the notion that we'll automatically stay in the same town we've lived in for the last two decades.  This is such a process...

Meanwhile, as we wait for the right house to appear on the market, I continue to whittle down stuff.  Today's haul is a hodgepodge, half-hearted attempt at decluttering.  

The posters I acquired many years ago.  I used a couple and the rest have been stored where they'd be safe from getting damaged, and where I would completely forget about them.  The zippers (all about 22" long), I'm sure largely came from MIL's stash last year, and I'm just now realizing that I'll not likely ever make something that requires a zipper that length.  The other things are just stuff I don't want or need.  An easy goodbye.


I don't know whether to be encouraged or embarrassed that, without much effort at all, I can pull together nearly 40 things to leave the house and I will never miss them.

Making Space Week 43:  578 things gone!



9 comments:

  1. Gosh I wish I lived next door to you - I just finished buying a bunch of zippers because my stash had dwindled to none.
    As for where we live - Resident Chef was born in this town - and I was raised about ten miles away. This is home and always will be, although never say never I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing to be embarrassed by; every home has these issues. I think. Mine sure does. Every little bit counts.

    As for moving, I'm afraid I have no advice. I have been living in the same town since I was four. I kind of feel comfortable here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no advice to offer on moving, but I am sure I could come up with items that I just store away with no thought. The sewing items would be a good place to start. I always think I will need them but the thought of actually sewing much more than a crafty project just no longer interests me. My craft paper drawer would be another good place to really dump. I used all that when I taught but if I am honest it is taking up space and not being used. We have pondered downsizing but that is about all ...pondered. I don't really think I would want to leave my town though. It is home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. About moving. I've lived in three countries, many addresses! I now live thousands of miles from my birthplace.
    But, rule of thumb before deciding: what supports will you need to replace and can you?
    Can you still reach and meet friends? Doctor? Dentist? Pharmacist? Handyman?

    It's worth bearing in mind. We usually think about views, friends, activities, too

    Not sure if this is helpful, but there you are. On a somber note try to avoid communities which are very couple oriented. If one of you becomes single you might run into not fitting in. I've seen it happen. Just a cautionary note.

    But it's an adventure anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having lived in 4 states and 14 homes in the past 46 years, my thoughts would be....if you like your community and everything you live and need is there, then stay in the area. If you want adventure, than look to another town/city but realize you will need to find new Drs, church, places to shop, dentist, and other things that are important to you. It was fun doing all that when we were young but now that we are retired itnseems quite daunting to move from where we have lived since 1988. Going into a smaller place without maintenence of yard and pool would be nice but not quite ready for that either. But this is all personal feelings. Everyone is different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice little haul of stuff. Parting with things is a refreshing experience.
    Happy house hunting! There are some fun quizzes online that help determine where you'd most likely like to move to. I ended up where I am. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are doing wonderfully at getting rid of "stuff". I've been filling plastic garbage bags and storing them in a corner of the dining room. One of these days I will travel the 1 1/2 to the salavation army and or good will.
    My wish is to move back to the town where I grew up. They say you should live where you were the happiest during your life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We lived in the same small town for 37 year, 35 of those in the same house. When we decided to move out of the old farmhouse (long story), we looked for something in the same town and assumed that's what we'd do. But we were drawn to this house in a neighboring town (only 15 minutes away). We feel like the Lord led us to it. It fits our needs so perfectly, and it is only a few minutes from my parents' house. When we moved here, that wasn't a factor, but within a year, it was very much a factor. God knew what we needed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was a kid we moved every few years and I seemed to be constantly joining new schools. Now it will take a crowbar and a fantastic mountain and water view to get me to move again. If your house is less cluttered then it will be easier to clean and maintain, so if you like your home then why move. My parents used to talk about downsizing all the time and now they've decided (in their 80s) they will stay in their huge house until the end. They love it, they love the neighbours and its ease to walking to the shops. So although it is big they want to stay.

    ReplyDelete