Saturday, August 21, 2021

Making Space...

I want to thank everyone who left comments on my last Making Space post.  I enjoyed and appreciated the responses to my question about any of your experiences in moving - whether you moved across the country or stayed in the same area.  There was some good food for thought there.  So thank you!

I'm getting to a point with books where I'm having to apply more thought than I want to (IOW, it's getting harder), so I'll probably be taking a break from them for a while.  While I'm sure books will show up again at some point, without too much brain strain I was able to get rid of 37 more books this week.

The picture is simply representative.  Some books ended up leaving the premises before I could get a picture.  That's just the way it goes sometimes...



And with hubs nearing the end of digitizing decades of slides, we're able to get rid of bunches of slide trays. We have found that a salvage store nearby (that specializes in vintage stuff) will take these items.  Hub informed me today that a couple of months ago he took around 20 trays there already (no one thought to take a picture), so adding the collection of the 25 pictured below to those already donated, we've gotten rid of at least 45 slide trays.  So far.  There are still some more that will end up leaving when Hub is truly finished with this task.


So adding everything together, I'm counting 82 more things gone from the house!



Making Space Week 44:   660 things gone!



15 comments:

  1. Following your good example, I have begun work in the dreaded upstairs bedroom. Two extra garbage bags to the transfer station this week. Every bit out is progress.

    Books are an issue... My philosophy is that as long as they fit in the bookshelves, they can stay. Alas, they don't all fit.

    Are your family photos still on the slides? What a good job your husband did getting all those photos digitized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubs has transferred the slides to digital pictures and they are backed up both on an external hard drive and flash drives that have been shared with various persons - so hopefully, they'll never be lost. He is then disposing of all of his family slides. I'm not so willing to let all my family slides go, though maybe after I sit down and actually see them on each thing he's saved them on, I will relax a bit on that. ;^) I want to make some prints of some special pictures, and in the end, that may be all that I need to be satisfied.

      Delete
  2. That's really impressive! I have books I know I can't get rid of most of them are crafting books, one of my huge downfalls is magazines - crochet, embroidery, knitting, every now and then I will go through a pile and throw one away but that's as good as it gets haha. Have a great week. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certain craft books and magazines are hard for me to get rid of, too. Your method of culling through them sounds a lot like mine.

      Delete
  3. I understand the book thing. I really need to go through the downstairs books one more time. Some are mine and some are my sons, but I truly think he took all the ones he cared about. My daughter is coming this week to look at things in her room. She has never really done any going through hers and it is time! I may have a good bit leave her room in the next month. We will see:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of funny how much stuff our kids accumulate. We keep thinking our guys have taken all their stuff, but then more stuff appears. I can't tell if they overlooked it and left it behind, or if I squirreled it away for some reason. lol

      Delete
  4. Congrats on these accomplishments! Getting rid of stuff is hard; I know that. I'm better at it than a lot of people but one of my secrets is to NEVER shop at the places where I take donations. NEVER. I don't want to be reminded of what I've done after the decision (and action) was done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very good advice! I'm chuckling, though... Visit friends last week, I saw on their counter a cookbook I had just gotten rid of. Our host commented on how many times he has turned to that cookbook. It certainly gave me second thoughts about having gotten rid of it. Oy!

      Delete
  5. First, before I forget, thanks so much for coming over to my book post at Marmelade Gypsy. I so get what you're talking about. I've been going through similar things with photos, books and all sorts of stuff. One step at a time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your blog was a fun stop, Jeanie. A belated Happy Birthday to you! :)

      Delete
  6. Good for you! And good for your DH for spending all the time to deal with all the slides. I can't imagine the people who have just simply thrown them out and all those wonderful memories lost with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a real labor of love for him. He's found it to be a very rewarding job to do.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on getting rid of more stuff!!! I got rid of 2 boxes of stuff that I didn't use before we moved here...then put on shelves or in drawers...and didn't use them in the last year I was here...Could have saved myself the hassle of packing and unpacking if I'd been brave enough to part with them before the move lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly the scenario I'm hoping to avoid. :^/ I imagine it will happen, though. I think this "getting rid of" will continue for at least a couple more decades. If I live that long.

      Delete
  8. I have no space for books and have only kept ones I'll reread again and again.

    ReplyDelete