Saturday, September 3, 2022

After a rainstorm...

About the time when the daylilies were fading this summer, I realized sunflowers were growing in front of them from seeds dropped by our feathered friends feeding at the birdfeeders.  I decided to let them grow and enjoy the show.  







While we temporarily removed the bird feeders for a few months since the birds really weren't needing the seed, it was a fun surprise to watch nature unfold outside our bird-watching window while the birds were finding their food elsewhere.

Finding joy in little things, I have enjoyed watching a different view of the cycle of nature this past year.


17 comments:

  1. Beautiful sunflowers from bird seed are one of summer's best surprises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubs kept weed-waking them early on, until I finally got the idea to let them grow. Kind of messes with the grass growing nearby, but I think it's a small price to pay. :)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful surprise. I just love sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I've never had success growing them when I've actually planted seeds. Who knew it could be this simple!?!

      Delete
  3. Since none of my sunflowers came up this year, thanks yo marauding squirrels, I get to enjoy pictures of sunflowers in other people's gardens! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the sunflowers 🌻 🌻 are often under the bird feeder. I'm glad that you let them grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this will be a regular summer thing from here on out. I'm actually thinking of relocating the day lilies next spring and giving these sunflowers more room to grow.

      Delete
  5. I have some sunflowers on the dining room table right now (purchased for $1 per flower!). The birds are certainly going to enjoy yours later on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something is enjoying them now. When I've gone to clean up the fallen sunflowers it appears that something has devoured either seeds, or the pre-seeds. They're empty in the middle!

      Delete
  6. Becki, we now get stands of sunflowers from the seeds we feed the birds all over the yard at various times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love sunflowers they are such a cheerful flower I have some too this year and I'm enjoying their display. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that's lovely!!! Birds are such sources of cheer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sunflowers that grow the best have always been planted by birds! For some reason, chipmunks don't dig those plants up.

    ReplyDelete