Sunday, November 11, 2018

My first Spicier Life completed...

My first Spicier Life Blanket is off the hook!   And all those gazillions of ends are woven in!  Although it was in the 20's yesterday morning, I bundled up and took it outside in the natural light to get some pictures that show the colors to their best advantage:


Would I recommend this project?   Yes - absolutely.  It is very well written (has been translated into US terminology), and the various stitches are explained well.  I think there are even video tutorials for the different sections.  

Some things worth noting, I think...  while I admire the designer's ability to figure out stitch counts so that so many different stitch patterns can be used in one design, I don't like the tendency for some stitch patterns to pull in so much more than others.  Even using different sized hooks for different rows (to accommodate this tendency for some rows to pull in) I have found these blankets to require some repeated hard steam blocking to get the edges straight enough to make me happy.  



And, one should be aware going into it that the original pattern doesn't make a very large blanket at all.  Looking at the pattern (after the fact) I see that the measurement of the original design is 38.5" x 51.5".   I'm thinking that would make an respectable lap blanket (or a small child's blanket).  But that wasn't what I was after.  That's not the pattern's fault.  That's on me for not looking for this detail before beginning.  

The size is easy enough to change by making it wider and adding more rows, but for those (like me) who plunge in without reading the details, it can be pretty discouraging to figure this out about the time you see you're nearing the pattern's end, and then have to anticipate all the additional ends to weave in if you decide to enlarge it.  So... if you like the looks of the blanket and want to make it, I don't discourage anyone.  Just figure out the size you want it to be and know up front how you will accommodate that if you need to.  And expect to experiment a bit with hook sizes for different rows.  And if uneven edges will bother you, expect to have to BLOCK this baby.

Another thing - that isn't in anyway the fault of the designer...  I've concluded I'm not crazy about making blankets with DK weight yarn.  I used Stylecraft Special DK.  I love the yarn.  I just don't love crocheting a large blanket with it.  

Not only does it take approximately forever to crochet something so large with such thin yarn, but when all is said and done when I make a blanket, I want it to have some heft and more warmth than DK weight acrylic yarn will provide.   OTOH...  DK weight yarn might make a perfect weight blanket for places that are more temperate than where I live.  Or for someone who likes lap blankets, this may actually be a perfect weight blanket.  Clearly, this is just personal preference.  It has nothing to do with the pattern.  Worsted weight yarn can be substituted in these patterns and one will just have a larger and heavier blanket when finished.  I used worsted weight yarn in my Spice of Life blankets made last year and they turned out well.

Now, all the above said, I do have a second Spicier Life (in different colors) on the hook and I hope to have it finished soon.  And so far, I like it even better than this one.  These are pretty blankets.  And very satisfying to finish.  😉



To see what other YOPers are up to, visit our group on Ravely.









17 comments:

  1. Wow, what a learning experience this blanket turned out to be for you. Changing hook size throughout the blanket is a concept I do not think I would have thought of to avoid pulling of a row. You made wonderful suggestions for anyone wanting to make this blanket. Thank you for that. I have admired this pattern since you first started it. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The designer made mention of probably needing to change hook sizes. But still... it was a fair amount of experimenting. And, of course, coming back to it months later meant my tension was different, too. I wish I had made better notes about what hook sizes I used on each section, but changing tension is such an issue that I don't think those could have been relied on, in the end. And even with changing hook sizes, the amount of blocking this one required was kind of astounding.

      Delete
  2. I love how the Spicer Life blanket turned out Becki and you must be glad it's all finished and complete. For one thing I never would have guessed that the sides were uneven from looking at it, which would bug me same as you but having to change hook sizes would too. I like to just start my blankets and crochet and keep going until I get to the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth. I did have to block the sides to make them mostly straight. I dislike having to think so much about keeping the sides straight - or having to block them later. But I do love how these turn out.

      Delete
  3. Very, very pretty! I should start a crochet blanket as well... It has been so long since I crocheted one and it would be a great way to think off my grandmother - she was a big crocheter and made lots of pretty blankets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Domics! The crocheter in my family was my Aunt LaVerne. She made many blankets, too!

      Delete
  4. It turned out really lovely, Becki. And, I love the design of the border you created for it. Pat 🍂🍁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. The border is more or less the designer's. I adapted it to help pull the whole thing in line, but mostly I kept it to the original design.

      Delete
  5. “Approximately forever” that made me laugh out loud...anyone who crochets a blanket has my respect...I pretty much can only crochet in circles and can’t read stitch patterns in UK or US terms. I like the variations of stitches, especially the ones on the right on the bottom pic in red, pink and white with the black background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have favorite stitch patterns in this, too. :) Thank you for your kind comments, Liz.

      Delete
  6. Ooh it's beautiful. And another to add to the collection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your 'tips and techniques' since I want to make one some day! I love yours! You've outdone yourself once again! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are my greatest cheerleader, I think, Sandra. Thank you. :)

      Delete
  8. I think pretty much any blanket takes absolutely pretty much forever to make (or so it seems). I don't suppose there's any rule in the books that says you must use DK yarn (sez I, who constantly refuses to use the suggested yarn weight!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't believe any such rule exists. :)

      Delete
  9. You made some good points in this post in regards to the pattern's pros and cons. I would probably use worsted weight yarn. Sometimes, I don't like the fabric of the piece when I use lighter yarn with bigger needles and just use yarn that is heavier and goes w/the gauge.

    ReplyDelete