Saturday, November 24, 2018

Moments with Ruth...

I spent a few hours with Ruth this afternoon.  Today  I brought some pictures that are printed on watercolor paper and we "painted".  The book pictured below is Kristy's Summer Cutting Garden: A Watercoloring Book.  Kristy's books are gorgeous and printed on watercolor paper, so the pictures can be painted on the book pages themselves and the book left intact if a person so chooses.



It's a simple activity that we sometimes do with watercolor pencils (the ones above are Derwent brand) and these water brushes.   The brushes can be used with regular watercolor paints, but used with water color pencils makes for a more controlled activity.  It takes adult coloring to a new level.  





7 comments:

  1. Okay....that looks like fun! I am going to do that....maybe Santa will bring me the supplies?!? Ruth's picture is beautiful! It will be fun shopping for a coloring book. Maybe I'll have to look on Amazon tonight...tee hee! You should blog every day you are so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about you, Sam, when I decided to post this. I think you'd really enjoy it. I have enjoyed when doing it on my own. You can copy any pictures onto water color paper (I had to cut my paper down to fit in my printer), or you can buy these watercolor books that are printed on watercolor paper and paint right in the book. You can use regular paint brushes, but it you're interested in the water brushes, I recommend going with a well-known brand. Some lesser known brands seem to get mixed reviews. I have had these Pentel water brushes filled with water for over a month and while I keep them in a plastic bag in the tote bag I take to Ruth's, I've never had one leak.

      Delete
  2. Wow.......that is so cool. I love coloring. Do you color with the watercolor pencils forst and then go iver it with the watercolor brushes? I am very interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Marsha, that's how I do it. Here is an old video that shows this technique (go to about 3:15 to start his talk of watercolor pencils, and about 4:15 to actually see it done). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRVkG6HhwBE

      You just have to have a water soluble pigment in the pencil for it to work. You can also use the water brushes with actual paint. There are quite a few different videos online to show how this works. I'm very excited to have discovered these water brushes.

      Delete
  3. very nice! it's good to visit with others and creative endeavours are a joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like such fun and I'm sure your friend was delighted to take part. It's wonderful that you go to the effort to come up with projects to enjoy with Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that looks fun. I haven't seen a watercolor book before.
    And yes, new 'do. I had bobbed my hair, a-line for shape and then got some bangs before turkey day to hide my glaring forehead.

    ReplyDelete