Friday, November 16, 2018

Sometimes what we keep isn't the most obvious choice...

Working on books again in the master bedroom today I thought surely there'd be a bunch more I could get rid of.  But all that was left in here were my art and some various craft-related books.  On this small bookshelf are mainly art books and art study books.   A year ago I culled through these and downsized the collection, but this is what's left, and what's staying:



Most of the books of art I own were purchased used - at library book sales.  Some are like new.  Many are battered and rough on the outside, but the pictures inside are still beautiful.  When my boys were younger I collected and used these books for art study.  It was nothing formal.  I would cut out a print from an old book, mat it and display it on a table top easel for a while and we'd read a bit about the artist and talk a bit about the picture.  I wish I'd done more, but I hope they gleaned a little bit from my meager art study attempts with them.



As I dusted and looked at these books, I wondered why I don't do that for myself.    Enjoy some personal art study. Huh.  Seriously... why not?   Once I get things culled through a bit more I think I will start doing that.  Just for me.


So anyway...  I couldn't part with my art books.  I can't even explain the attachment.  I studied art some in college, but I'm not an artist.  Not by a long shot.   But I love these books, and I'm keeping what I have for now.   Since I'm compelled to keep them, I'm really glad that my collection isn't any larger than it is.    

The hat boxes (in the first picture) hold kitchen cotton yarn.  I wish my kitchen cotton yarn collection was truly that small.  I have drawers-full in addition to those stuffed hat boxes.  I'm thinking maybe a good plan would be to knit a dishcloth every week.  Or at least always have one on the needles.  In a year's time that should whittle my cotton yarn down considerably.  You think?

I did decide to do something finally with this little (pocket-sized) book.  You can see it's falling apart.



I'm going to go through it, choose and cut out some interesting pictures of artwork,  laminate them, and attach a magnet to the backs.



I think that would make for some interesting refrigerator magnets.  Might even make some for my sons.  I'll be sure to post pictures after I've made some.   And bookmarks!  I haven't made any bookmarks from pictures in a while.  

Okay...  so I didn't get very far on books in my bedroom, but everything did get dusted and there are more bookshelves in other rooms in the house, so I'll have plenty of other opportunities! 😏
~~~~~






7 comments:

  1. I feel about my embroidery books the same as you do about your art books. So difficult to part with any of them. I have made myself a promise though - if I buy a new one I have to get rid of one. My collection is now to the point where I seriously don't want to part with any, so buying anything new is out of the question. Guess that's a win/win - my collection doesn't grow and I save money at the same time. Doesn't help me downsize though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This reminds me... I have other craft books in another room - embroidery, cross stitch, crochet, knitting, card making... I'm pretty sure I have some pattern books on wood burning. And the only wood I've burnt has been in a campfire. I may not be able to get rid of m/any of those, either. I'll tackle those last, I think.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea to laminate art photos and repurpose them. You amaze me with your ideas. Dishcloths are the most requested gift I get. Having one on the needles all the time is another great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. art can really speak to us! :) It takes time to go through one's things! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I know why you are so good with colors and color combinations and coordinating things. You ARE an artist with yarn! Isn't it amazing how we discover our 'loves' even later in life? Sometimes we knew it as children but then got away from it. Once the 'din' dies down we have an opportunity to listen to our soul speaking to us. So glad you didn't get rid of your art books! I'm the same way with my math and computer books....I can't seem to part with them and then there's my saddles and horse equipment that I will probably never use again but I love them...memorials to my horses and the great times we shared....and they still smell 'horsey'! LOL!
    I'm loving that you are blogging daily....I feel like I am getting to know you better. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Great idea about the magnets and bookmarks! Pelae show them when you're finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you. We brought six bags of books and DVD's to our local, used bookstore and only got $40 but I know that's better than nothing. My kids of course spent that money that day with their new book finds.

    ReplyDelete